It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a new possibility for commenting (CLOSED, REJECTED)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:33 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I have the impression that a lot of Gimp-chatters are a bit "timorous" (or simply unwilling) to post "personally signed" comments to any thread.
Could be added to our site the possibility to enter anonymous simple comments such as:
- I like
- I don't like
- I'm not interested
which are then summed up as in many other forums, so that only the totals are shown:
- 11 like
- 8 don't like
- 32 not interested
IMO this will improve the understanding of the threads
(Request for the Site Owners and Supporters)

Last edited by dinasset on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: a new possibility for commenting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:14 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I like this idea. I often don't reply to a thread simply because I don't like trying to figure out a new way to say "I like it". I don't mind people knowing whether or not I like something. It's just that I don't like empty chatter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:24 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

OK, thanks, let's see whether this idea becomes of general interest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Personally, I like it the way it is. If someone doesn't like something I do but doesn't tell me why, how can I change my ways? Isn't the goal of a forum to foster discussion and exchange, which is pretty much the opposite of the Like/Unlike buttons?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:40 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

a good point, but still could be interesting to know the general (or not) appreciation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:43 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
a good point, but still could be interesting to know the general (or not) appreciation

Just count the number of posts...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:46 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

There are lot of different systems I´ve seen in various web forums and I´m sure You have too.
Most common is the like button you can click and it shows on bottom of OP members who like the thread.
There´s also complex karma systems. Gaming forums use them often, probably because it makes the forum a funny mini RPG or something.
My perspective is somewhat neutral, don´t mind at all if something simple is implemented, but I would leave the dislike thing away.
There´s always a possibility of controversy if it´s anonymous, think about it. You create a topic, no one´s replying and you´re watching helplessly the amount of anonymous thumbs down raising from 10 to 100 to 1000. I think I would have nightmares and my image editing would never be the same.
Ok, I don´t take these things so seriously. Personally if I like a post, I don´t necessarily have urge to post in the topic to show just gratitude
unless I have something to add, ask or suggest. Those script threads where people post own outcomes are real nice.
So I vote for a simple like button, with your nickname added to the bottom of original post.
Cause I don´t want t to go through all plugin/script threads and post "omg this script freaking rocks, ty so much yay!!!"

If You really have to implement a dislike, make it a slapping hand gif?

Edit: that´s a good point what Ofnuts mentioned. If the thread is good it will certainly have lot of replies and discussion.

Last edited by Nidhogg on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:51 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Ofnuts, I do believe that a large majority of "Readers" has an opinion: but if you count how many "view" a post and how many of those post a reply it seems that only 2-3% of Readers has an opinion, which sounds very strange to me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

@Nidhogg
but if you receive a lot of reply-posts but all from the same 3 to 4 people, you only know that 3-4 persons out of the community likes what you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:11 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I would like to know members' opinion about different topics. I think although a thread could have many views it isn't indicative of being good or not or like / dislike. It'd be very interesting to know anonymous opinions as they would be authentic. But it is only my opinion about this.

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
Ofnuts, I do believe that a large majority of "Readers" has an opinion: but if you count how many "view" a post and how many of those post a reply it seems that only 2-3% of Readers has an opinion, which sounds very strange to me

Of course they all have an opinion. But if you add buttons, you won't get 100% of opinions either, and it is quite likely that people who don't like will still not do anything, unlike those who like who are more likely to "Like". So you will end up falsely increasing the perceived goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:29 am  (#12) 
Script Coder

Issabella wrote:
I would like to know members' opinion about different topics. I think although a thread could have many views it isn't indicative of being good or not or like / dislike. It'd be very interesting to know anonymous opinions as they would be authentic. But it is only my opinion about this.

But a Like/Dislike button is not an opinion, it is a semi-random neuronal firing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:08 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset wrote:
@Nidhogg
but if you receive a lot of reply-posts but all from the same 3 to 4 people, you only know that 3-4 persons out of the community likes what you posted.

But that´s good. I get only one reply when I look in the mirror at morning and I´m telling you it´s a dislike.
Can I be your fan club member #5 please?

I´m expecting dislikes for this offtopic post ;)

Anyway, I don´t have anything against a simple like button. For those who just maybe don´t want to comment and download a script or enjoy a thread they visit.
Haven´t been really active here yet due to other things, even I have downloaded most of the new scripts and check the place every day.
So this isn´t a big deal for me at the moment, but that´s my opinion on the matter.
See You around.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:04 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I don't believe it will get much use from those that don't comment anyway. If you like something, you comment, are curious about how it was done, or you give constructive criticism... I'm of the belief if you don't like something, it's your opinion, but if you have nothing nice or constructive to say, "dislike"?, nah don't say anything at all.

If you're aware of Facebook's new "expression" buttons - it's almost as if your forced to "Love" something as opposed to just "Like"...ing a post. It also reduces the reader/viewer to just "clicking" than giving an actual opinion.

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:14 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I don't really care for the like or dislike icons. It is a cop out. If you don't like something, you should say so. If you like it, say so. You don't have to gush all over, or write a paragraph of criticism. Suggestions are always helpful to me even if I think I did a better job than the comments received. I learn this way. and that is one of my objectives. I guess I like it the way it is. More communication than just checking an icon. Maybe I am old fashioned!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

ofnuts wrote:
Personally, I like it the way it is. If someone doesn't like something I do but doesn't tell me why, how can I change my ways? Isn't the goal of a forum to foster discussion and exchange, which is pretty much the opposite of the Like/Unlike buttons?
:ditto

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:37 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

Pat :ditto

Odinbc :ditto

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:36 pm  (#18) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
ofnuts wrote:

I agree.

Post subject: Re: a new possibility for commenting (CLOSED, REJECTED)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:19 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

nobody -except Sasquatch- agrees.
Thanks Sasquatch, you got my main point (there are a lot of irrelevant "I like it" around here said in many different ways not adding any info, and surely people like you who don't like to enter a post just to say "I like it" trying to invent a new way of saying it, but nobody else noticed that).
Closed.

Post subject: Re: a new possibility for commenting (CLOSED, REJECTED)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:57 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

My opinion is, I think people here are to nice to give any criticism to.

I gave an opinion on OMGs post, and because OMG is such a nice guy, I regretted doing it

I see a lot of stuff that could be better, but, I like everyone, and dont want to hurt anyone's egos

But, with just a like or dislike button, you dont really get any feedback that would help the poster to improve