It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can I get Tablet and Mouse to sync?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:51 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.7.3
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
none

List any ERROR messages you received:
none

I understand the basic configuration. Mouse has it's own settings like color, current tool etc., tablet has it the same. But now I'm doing things where I need to use both. It is getting annoying the I need to do things twice again and again to get same settings for mouse and tablet.

So, the n00b question: is there simple way to get both to use same color, tool and such settings, with both mouse and tablet, but still to have pen pressure and such tablet-only functions working? I fear I need to configure X11 or something, that could be messy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How can I get Tablet and Mouse to sync?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:29 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I would have to say brush dynamics may be what you need to edit or play with.I do not think their are settings for mouse pressure in Gimp just the paint tools.
But i have been wrong before! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

No, Rod, sorry if I was not so clear.

There's nothing broken. Tablet, pressure etc. are working fine.

But Gimp treats mouse and tablet as separate entities.

Let me give an example. Let's make an assumption and say that I have selected yellow color with mouse. I draw, using mouse, using paintbrush an yellow line. Then I select tablet (stylus) and click yellow and draw using paintbrush another yellow line. Now, I take mouse again and change color to blue. I draw using paintbrush a blue line. Then I take again tablet stylus and draw using paintbrush a line. It is still yellow!

What I would like to have so that I would need to select color, brush settings and all each time I change between mouse and tablet stylus. I can't so everything with tablet, but I like tablet when I'm painting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:51 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

kimppi wrote:
No, Rod, sorry if I was not so clear.

There's nothing broken. Tablet, pressure etc. are working fine.

But Gimp treats mouse and tablet as separate entities.

Let me give an example. Let's make an assumption and say that I have selected yellow color with mouse. I draw, using mouse, using paintbrush an yellow line. Then I select tablet (stylus) and click yellow and draw using paintbrush another yellow line. Now, I take mouse again and change color to blue. I draw using paintbrush a blue line. Then I take again tablet stylus and draw using paintbrush a line. It is still yellow!

What I would like to have so that I would need to select color, brush settings and all each time I change between mouse and tablet stylus. I can't so everything with tablet, but I like tablet when I'm painting.
Unfortunately that would break an important thing for tablet users: different settings for the "pen" and "eraser" tips of the table pen. Typically if you edit a mask with a pen, you put a black brush on the pen side and a white brush on the eraser side.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:08 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Good point, ofnuts. Didn't think about that.

Would script, which copies color, brush and such things from tablet to mouse and another which does another way around be a solution? May be too cumbersome. Even shortcut keys are a bit clumsy.

Oh well, maybe I just need to train patience... :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:13 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe the question is why you need to switch between mouse and pen so often, and with the same settings for both? Is there no way to rework your workflow to minimize the switching?
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:06 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch, I have tried, really. But while stylus is nice when painting, I really am better making selections and such with mouse. I'm a bit clumsy and I get frustrated easily, so the feel of the tool is really important to me.

Well, I've used Gimp as it is quite a long time, so no worries. I manage. I just wondered if there is some neat trick for this. I've learned so much useful things already just by asking there questions... :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:48 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

kimppi wrote:
Griatch, I have tried, really. But while stylus is nice when painting, I really am better making selections and such with mouse. I'm a bit clumsy and I get frustrated easily, so the feel of the tool is really important to me.

Well, I've used Gimp as it is quite a long time, so no worries. I manage. I just wondered if there is some neat trick for this. I've learned so much useful things already just by asking there questions... :D
So, you are in a case where you use different tools with different pointer devices... so all is well?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:06 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts, there are situation when you'd want several tools to use same settings. Let's say I've stroked some paths using mouse with some color and then I clean up and enhance by painting with tablet stylus using brush tool with same color.

But, basically, this is not great problem, just minor annoyance.

Even this way Gimp is considerably faster than Photoshop, because I have neat set of gimp-fu scripts to speed things up. But I'm too much an engineer to not try to optimize... :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:21 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

ofnuts wrote:
Typically if you edit a mask with a pen, you put a black brush on the pen side and a white brush on the eraser side.

Really? I've found it much more convenient to simply rest one hand on the x-button to switch colours. It's much faster than flipping the pen around every time...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:48 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

As dd, I also find it considerably faster to use the keyboard to switch color but also tools rather than flip the pen around, this goes for most situations, including erasing stuff.
Griatch

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 am  (#12) 

Hi. Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but this is the most relevant result I can find and I have still not seen a solution to this problem.

I have the same issue as the OP, I want the mouse & pen pointer toolbox selections to be synced, not separate. My reason: I use a touch screen monitor right next to my tablet - I put the toolbox & all the other floating windows on the touch screen, and I have the tablet mapped only to my main drawing screen, which shows nothing but canvas. So I tap on the touch screen to change tools then go right back to drawing on my main monitor. I do this with a few apps & it's a very intuitive, comfortable and efficient way to work.

Obviously, the problem with GIMP is anything I do on the touch screen registers as a mouse click, so as soon as I put pen to tablet it's undone. I really need to stop GIMP from doing this. Is there a way?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:46 pm  (#13) 
Script Coder

VanBurenP wrote:
Hi. Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but this is the most relevant result I can find and I have still not seen a solution to this problem.

I have the same issue as the OP, I want the mouse & pen pointer toolbox selections to be synced, not separate. My reason: I use a touch screen monitor right next to my tablet - I put the toolbox & all the other floating windows on the touch screen, and I have the tablet mapped only to my main drawing screen, which shows nothing but canvas. So I tap on the touch screen to change tools then go right back to drawing on my main monitor. I do this with a few apps & it's a very intuitive, comfortable and efficient way to work.

Obviously, the problem with GIMP is anything I do on the touch screen registers as a mouse click, so as soon as I put pen to tablet it's undone. I really need to stop GIMP from doing this. Is there a way?

Without stating which OS you use that will be difficult. There may be a way, because on my Lenovo laptop, even without the tablet I have three pointing devices (touchpad, trackpoint, and external mouse) and they are see as one single device by Gimp. I see them in "Edit/Preferences" -> "Input devices/Input controllers" but they are disabled (which may be why they are seen as the main pointing device). May you'll see your touch screen there and can disable it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm  (#14) 

Sorry about that. I'm on Win7, GIMP v2.6.12, Wacom Intuos 3. Under input controllers, I have:

Available Controllers
DirectX DirectInput
Mouse Wheel
Keyboard

Active Controllers
Main Mouse Wheel
Main Keyboard

Under Input Devices > Configure Extended Input Devices, in the Devices list there's Wacom Tablet Pressure Stylus and Wacom Tablet Eraser.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:59 pm  (#15) 
Script Coder

VanBurenP wrote:
Sorry about that. I'm on Win7, GIMP v2.6.12, Wacom Intuos 3. Under input controllers, I have:

Available Controllers
DirectX DirectInput
Mouse Wheel
Keyboard

Active Controllers
Main Mouse Wheel
Main Keyboard

Under Input Devices > Configure Extended Input Devices, in the Devices list there's Wacom Tablet Pressure Stylus and Wacom Tablet Eraser.

Hmmm. Sorry for the false hopes, but that won't work. Your problem isn't between touchscreen and mouse but between tablet/stylus and (mouse+touch screen).

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 am  (#16) 

ofnuts wrote:
Your problem is... between tablet/stylus and (mouse+touch screen).

Yeah. So it's impossible to make the mouse mimic the tablet?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:17 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Wish it could be done. It doesn't make any sense for everything to change just because you've switched from mouse to tablet or vice-versa. It's a heck of a nuisance.