It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp (ed) images gallery
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi all,

Could we have a gallery of images manipulated with Gimp here submitted by members for inspiration purpose???

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp (ed) images gallery
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Just seen this post. The closest we have to a gallery at the moment is the Gimp Art section. A gallery categorized by artist name with thumbnail links would be a great idea in my opinion if it's at all practical. I don't know any thing about the technicalities of this or server costs etc so it might be difficult but I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:10 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I don't think it would be to hard, but you are right. It could be to much for the server, etc. I also think that maybe we should use a site for that, like deviant art or flikr, that auto-posts the image when presented in a sub-forum?

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:50 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

And maybe a separate Gallery for Avatars that have been created by Gimpchat members.
I have seen many cool colorful freaky images (static or animated) here.
Rotating, sliding, psychedelic, kaleidoscope, bouncing, swirling, multicolored twisted bizaar shapes. A lot of testing and experimenting with excellent results. They need to be collected and displayed in one place.

Last edited by Barbie on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Erisian wrote:
Just seen this post. The closest we have to a gallery at the moment is the Gimp Art section. A gallery categorized by artist name with thumbnail links would be a great idea in my opinion if it's at all practical. I don't know any thing about the technicalities of this or server costs etc so it might be difficult but I'd love to see it.

If this is feasible and not too costly, I think it would be a great idea, only if it is for GC members only. :paint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:17 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Ya, I agree. I think maybe a gallery for each account that people can upload to?

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:18 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

We are at the max on hosting bandwidth and I have a feeling that enabling the gallery would be too much of a load on the server. I do like a gallery but I think the overhead would be more than the current hosting plan could handle. We get CPU timeouts and error messages on occasion already.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:20 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Think maybe we should cut some of the old never on, never post users?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:36 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

Well, we do delete spammers and bots but we don't delete members who just lurk and use PMs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Hmmm maybe a sub domain or secondary domain for the gallery?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:05 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:

I think this is what conceptart.org does, although I can see why the bandwidth could explode. Assume an average of 1 MB per art piece, then go in to the Gimp Art section and add up all those view counts. I like the feature GC has where I can store images on its server, but I can see why GimpTalk requires users to host their own images.

Those of us that have deviantart accounts - we could make a GimpChat group. I don't think there are all that many of us, though... but setting one up and linking to it from this site would be one way to get a gallery and have someone else foot the bill ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:40 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Actually there are so many free hosting account servers out there you could just throw your images on one of those.
15 gigs of free space on some of them. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:50 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Founder

The problems with 3rd party image servers is that many times the images are purged after awhile, leaving ADs (or nothing) in their place. This can ruin a thread, especially a tutorial with images in the step by step.

It's kind of a catch-22 situation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:00 am  (#14) 
Script Coder

GnuTux wrote:
We are at the max on hosting bandwidth and I have a feeling that enabling the gallery would be too much of a load on the server. I do like a gallery but I think the overhead would be more than the current hosting plan could handle. We get CPU timeouts and error messages on occasion already.

I can't help thinking that you're your own worst enemy here in allowing unlimited numbers of oversized* images to be attached to posts.

The gallery idea could be done by creating a group on a suitable image hosting site similar to the Meet The GIMP group on 23.com: http://www.23hq.com/photogroup/meetthegimp/ and only using it for "showing off" rather than tutorials. Obviously this does require users to create an account on the image hosting site.

Kevin

* by oversized I mean images that are too big to display on a typical monitor without being re-sized.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

If you have a google email you can upload to picasa
https://picasaweb.google.com/

it's free

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:11 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I think in the long run we would all appreciate the tutorial images being fixed in place, because these threads are more permanent resources. But what about discussions? They seem to "expire" quicker. For instance, once GIMP 2.10 is out, would it be a big loss if some of the images attached to 2.8 discussion threads went away?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

On top of that, I think perhaps we could be a little more thoughtful about how we post. It's easy to be momentarily impressed with a new discovery and post in haste - I've done it many times - but we ought to remember that somebody very generous is paying for all this and be careful not to overdo things.