Switch to full style
Non-Gimp related posts here
Post a reply

Inbuilt Webcam

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:58 am

On the top of my laptop I have a web cam, just above the monitor. It is built in to the computer. Probably nothing new to many of you.
Anyway I have taken a picture with this once or twice before and wanted to do so today but it showed very 'milky' in the preview and final shot. Both times I used Skype to use the webcam.
I have noticed before but not really worried about it - that there seems to be a thin sliver of paper or plastic over part of the camera. Could this be the problem I had today? I tried cleaning it (it didn't get worse but it didn't get better either)
For the first time ever I changed some picture enhancing settings in Skype today to see if I could get it better to no avail.
My computer is black but the only way I could get it to show was to lighten the whole thing.
It shines a blue light when on. I guess that is the 'flash/light'?

Re: Inbuilt Webcam

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:18 am

My webcam has no software to control it either, and like you can only use it with Skype, maybe someone can suggest a good open source program to use with a webcam

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:27 am

Am I supposed to remove that covering or is it protecting the cam?

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:16 am

if it's only a piece of plastic film then I see no harm in peeling it off

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:29 am

ok done it. covered the whole section. Picture isn't much clearer though. there was only one hole ib it too and that was to the left of where the light is
I hope it will be ok. Not like I leave it open all the time so it should get some.
Thanks for replying.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 am

There are utilities to use the webcam to take snapshots (on Linux it's called "cheese", and I know someone who uses it to take a picture of anyone who unlocks the computer...).

However... this is usually a very poor camera, about the same quality as the front-facing camera in smartphones, since it is only meant to take videos.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:46 am

If you're using Windows, a good free utility is NCH Debut (free for home/personal use), available here:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture

Debut can record stills and video from any webcam (internal, external or internet) and also does screenshots (stills and video).

But note that, on many laptops, the built-in webcam is fairly low quality. Much better quality external
(USB) webcams are available for as little as US$10.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:22 pm

jontait2 I was looking for something a bit simpler to use

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:01 am

@sallyanne

It looks like you have removed one layer of protective film - covering the camera lens, microphone etc, but you need to make sure there isn't a second film over the camera lens - something I've seen recently on a separate camera.

Kevin

Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:45 am

Hello, sorry to revive this post but I wanted to broadcast with my live webcam. I have a Lenovo IdeaPad S340 (15.6 ", Intel) and I would like to know if this program is compatible. I don't know much about it but I would like to know if this can be done with that software

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:48 pm

What do you mean by "this program". And if this is Gimp where is it involved when broadcasting from a webcam?
Post a reply