Switch to full style
Non-Gimp related posts here
Post a reply

Re: GIMP Learn down?

Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:09 am

Domain was created on 2017-05-27, with an update on 2022-05-13, so potentially a renewal problem (or Tin didn't renew in time).

Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:28 am

It seems to be back.
:)

Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:03 am

:tyspin Wallace. :coolthup

Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:38 am

Wallace wrote:
It seems to be back.

Yes, WHOIS info very recently updated:

Domain Name: GIMPLEARN.NET
Updated Date: 2022-06-19T03:04:30Z
Creation Date: 2017-05-27T19:03:25Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-05-27T19:03:25Z

Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:40 am

ofnuts wrote:
Wallace wrote:
It seems to be back.

Yes, WHOIS info very recently updated:

Domain Name: GIMPLEARN.NET
Updated Date: 2022-06-19T03:04:30Z
Creation Date: 2017-05-27T19:03:25Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-05-27T19:03:25Z

:bigthup

Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:21 am

gimp learn is back :jumpclap

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:30 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know.
Tim has not responded to any of my personal messages to him.
I hope he's well.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:23 pm

I hope he is well, too.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:55 pm

mahvin wrote:I hope he is well, too.

:bigthup

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 am

Seeing comments that GimpLearn isn't always usable with Chrome: the certificate used by HTTPS connections has been renewed on June 12, so maybe it was obsolete for a while. OTOH it's the same "Let's Encrypt" kind of certificate that I use on G-F.n and it works very well (certificate is rather short-lived, but is auto-renewed if the site is setup properly).

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:42 am

ofnuts wrote:Seeing comments that GimpLearn isn't always usable with Chrome: the certificate used by HTTPS connections has been renewed on June 12, so maybe it was obsolete for a while....

from https://xkcd.com/

red_line_through_https.png
red_line_through_https.png (44.75 KiB) Viewed 854 times

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:03 am

rich2005 wrote:
ofnuts wrote:Seeing comments that GimpLearn isn't always usable with Chrome: the certificate used by HTTPS connections has been renewed on June 12, so maybe it was obsolete for a while....

from https://xkcd.com/

red_line_through_https.png

:clap :hehe :hehe

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:34 am

ofnuts wrote:Seeing comments that GimpLearn isn't always usable with Chrome: the certificate used by HTTPS connections has been renewed on June 12, so maybe it was obsolete for a while. OTOH it's the same "Let's Encrypt" kind of certificate that I use on G-F.n and it works very well (certificate is rather short-lived, but is auto-renewed if the site is setup properly).

It wasn't just Chrome, as the same was occuring with Safari and Edge. Firefox was the only one I could use to view GIMP Learn, which made me wonder just how good the SSL specs and checks are for Firefox's browser, or if it's actually just a combination of factors which causes one browser to allow bypassing the SSL or others closing the gate. Or if the user just has inadequate configurations in their security settings. <Shrugs>

In any case, Chrome wasn't allowing me to bypass it, instead I was landing on a 404 page, until late yesterday evening, when it finally cleared up or magically fixed itself.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:22 pm

mahvin wrote:
ofnuts wrote:Seeing comments that GimpLearn isn't always usable with Chrome: the certificate used by HTTPS connections has been renewed on June 12, so maybe it was obsolete for a while. OTOH it's the same "Let's Encrypt" kind of certificate that I use on G-F.n and it works very well (certificate is rather short-lived, but is auto-renewed if the site is setup properly).

It wasn't just Chrome, as the same was occuring with Safari and Edge. Firefox was the only one I could use to view GIMP Learn, which made me wonder just how good the SSL specs and checks are for Firefox's browser, or if it's actually just a combination of factors which causes one browser to allow bypassing the SSL or others closing the gate. Or if the user just has inadequate configurations in their security settings. <Shrugs>

In any case, Chrome wasn't allowing me to bypass it, instead I was landing on a 404 page, until late yesterday evening, when it finally cleared up or magically fixed itself.

Site certificates are checked by asking the issuing authority, which also needs to have a valid certificate, so your browser asks the authority's authority, etc, until you hit an authority whose certificate has been installed with your browser. It is likely that the various browser come with different sets of "root" certificates, and some could even be using those installed for all apps on your system.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:03 am

Today I'm getting this page when trying to connect to Gimp Learn.
However after a time it did connect.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:16 am

same here, Wallace.
I didn't connect for me.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:37 am

These are probably two different stories:
1. Insignificant - with connection to the website (with regular short breaks in access - maintenance work?).
2. Tim has been inactive for 10 days.

It doesn't mean anything yet, but is cause for concern.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:08 pm

I wish Tim says something soon and he is alright. I'm concerned.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:00 pm

This is life and there are of course more important things than the website - Tim wrote (yesterday) that he is busy taking care of the health of his loved ones.

Hopefully everything will be alright.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:21 am

Isn't PhotoMaster a moderator there? Has anyone heard from him?
Post a reply