It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Writing a book?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:06 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hey guys. I kinda need some help. i have had a idea for a good long while for a good book. I have never ever written a book before. I did take some creative writing classes in high school and did some short stories but i left high school in 1991 so it's been a while since i have written a story. Can anyone tell me the best way to get started. I know an outline is necessary. i just am not sure how to go about it and i'm guessing i sound like a complete idiot right now :) but i could really use some help in getting started. i will tell you that i have some of the main characters already in mind. i almost know how i want it to start and how it will end. having a little trouble with getting from A to B. Does anyone on here write books for a living. I just figured this site has so many talented people that there had to be some writers out there.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Writing a book?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:34 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I write books as a hobby. I have one out now, and am writing the sequel.

The best advice I can give is to just sit down and write. Set aside some time every day. Don't fall in the habit of waiting for inspiration. Sometimes you just have to make yourself write - particularly after the first couple weeks, when the novelty of writing a book starts to wear off.

Once you have an outline, and hence, a sense of where you're going with the draft, you should be well on your way! :)

I wrote a blog post about inspiration, muses, and their unreliability a couple months ago. link

My editor for my first book has some good advice on a variety of writing issues link (scroll down to writing).

If I can think of more advice, I'll pass it along. There's a lot of conflicting advice out there, too, so keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:52 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I would think it would help to write up a history and personality of your main characters, just to use as reference. It should help you decide how and why they would react in the stories.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Here's a link I found that could be helpful...

A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Your First Book
By Christina Gillick:
http://www.awaionline.com/2012/02/a-ste ... irst-book/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

thanks guys. i have a idea of what i want to write. i would share it here but i'm scared someone else would see it and steal my idea. cause i think it would be a very good idea for a book.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:51 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

rdgracer71 wrote:
thanks guys. i have a idea of what i want to write. i would share it here but i'm scared someone else would see it and steal my idea. cause i think it would be a very good idea for a book.

On places like deviantart, "art theft" is a real concern. "Literature theft", on the other hand, almost never happens. It's just too hard to publish something.

However, if you do intend to send your manuscript to a publishing house or agent, you should definitely not post much of it, or any, online. Posting your work online counts as "publishing," and most publishers will want first publishing rights. Even if you post it, then take it down, chances are Google has cached it and first publishing rights are gone.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:06 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
rdgracer71 wrote:

On places like deviantart, "art theft" is a real concern. "Literature theft", on the other hand, almost never happens. It's just too hard to publish something.

However, if you do intend to send your manuscript to a publishing house or agent, you should definitely not post much of it, or any, online. Posting your work online counts as "publishing," and most publishers will want first publishing rights. Even if you post it, then take it down, chances are Google has cached it and first publishing rights are gone.

ok thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I wrote small stories when I was little, and I write poems sometimes but I can't say I have firm advice on anything specific except don't do a way because a person says it's THE way, everyone is different so if you find you want to mix methods go ahead...Just don't make it confusing!
Have fun! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:07 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

And if you really want social pressure (or need it to follow through ;)) nanowrimo is coming up soon again....

http://nanowrimo.org/

-RobA>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

This was my idea for my book.

Name of book: The War

In the year 2013, a time machine is being built. When the time machine is finished a man gathers a army to steal it. They steal it to go back in time to the year 1776. They take modern day weapons back with them to take over the world. A patriot in the United States army aids them in there quest until he learns that they are not on the side of the United States. He tries to tell others, but no one will listen. He takes matters in to his own hands to fight back and stop them from taking over the world. The man who gathered the army to steal the time machine lied to his army in what he was gonna use it for. So when they find out that he is trying to take over the world, some in his army help the patriot fight back. they come up with a plan to steal the time machine back, take it back to 2013 to get weapons to fight back with. they gather the weapons and head back to 1776. And a modern day war is then fought in 1776. The future of the world, depends on the outcome of this war.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:58 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

if anyone wants to write this book, feel free to do. cause i am not going to.