It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Realism Attempt...!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've had in the back of my head that I have "drawing" pencils, and figured I'd give one of them a go along with a few others I normally use in sketching, and came up with this!

I'm not too happy with the hair, but I was trying to find a hairstyle that wouldn't be very stereo-typical but also unbelievable..Which I think I ended up with neither and just lousy. xD - I don't really draw "realistically" but it's nice to try other styles I guess...I kinda have in my head that if I can't draw realistically that I'm not good or something.... :oops: :roll: :oops:

For the nose...! Erisian's principles in the GIMP tutorial actually helps me with drawing all noses, including my noses I draw on paper! So Thank you once again! :D :D :tyspin :hi5

Materials Used:
6B Drawing Pencil - Darker tones
Standard HB #No 2 Pencil (like what you use for home work!) - Mild Tones and Sketching
0.07 mm Hard Lead Mechanical Pencil - Fine lines
Knead-able eraser, Add on eraser (what you put on the end of a pencil), a semi soft eraser. ( was aiming for different lighting with them)
Paper blender (it's like a white stick but it's made out of a paper type thing and you use it for blending)
White pen (but it didn't really end up all that visible. :S)

CnC Welcome!

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Realism Attempt...!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:08 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

mokonafan: :jumpclap :clap :hi5 great job, sister!! i love the style of this, i think you're doing great with just greyscale pens. i think you should be proud of your style, it's a strong point in your work. try to get that silly notion about realism out of your head, of course you're good, whether you draw in the more realistic style or not! but on the other hand, as you say yourself, trying different styles is good and you learn lots on it. and you learn very much about how human faces and bodies are built up if you try to draw and paint them in a more realistic way, then you can use the things you learned in your normal work. i really miss life study classes, that was fun and kept my drawing in good shape and taught me heaps - if you get the chance you should try it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:35 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It's interesting to see another style from you. I think this is pretty good!

I'd suggest reading this ~ http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2010/03/draw-hair/
if you want some advice on drawing hair. Your hair looks a bit too flat to me - it needs more depth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:06 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

For your first attempt at realism, this is incredible. A little more shading on the hair to make it look less flat would help but the style is cool. I would never have attempted anything so detailed. AnMal is spot on - learning to draw realistically can be very helpful and I would also recommend life drawing but don't get hung up on realism. I love your style and it is what you are good at and, more importantly, it's what you enjoy doing. I'm glad my tutorial was helpful to you. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Stunning

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
mokonafan: :hi5 great job, sister!! i love the style of this, i think you're doing great with just greyscale pens. i think you should be proud of your style, it's a strong point in your work. try to get that silly notion about realism out of your head, of course you're good, whether you draw in the more realistic style or not! but on the other hand, as you say yourself, trying different styles is good and you learn lots on it. and you learn very much about how human faces and bodies are built up if you try to draw and paint them in a more realistic way, then you can use the things you learned in your normal work. i really miss life study classes, that was fun and kept my drawing in good shape and taught me heaps - if you get the chance you should try it!

Thank you!
Well...I'm happy with how far I've gotten, with coloring the most since I couldn't color at all as a child.... :(
I just got that idea in the back of my head...I'll try and kick it out then! :D
I'm glad you think this turned out good! :D

I'd take a "class" but that requires money I/we don't have. Unless I go to a "free" university and that makes it a too long of class time and stuffs so... lol

Erisian wrote:
For your first attempt at realism, this is incredible. A little more shading on the hair to make it look less flat would help but the style is cool. I would never have attempted anything so detailed. AnMal is spot on - learning to draw realistically can be very helpful and I would also recommend life drawing but don't get hung up on realism. I love your style and it is what you are good at and, more importantly, it's what you enjoy doing. I'm glad my tutorial was helpful to you. :)

I've "tried" to draw "realistic" before but, this time I tried to do it the "right" way not just draw a picture like a cartoon and try and shade it. xD
I never really used the white paper sick thingy for "realistic" I did use them a long time ago for manga drawings but that's it...So... I guess you could say this is my first FULL attempt! :D -I guess I keep getting complexes for no reason then. xD
Thank you! :D

:tyspin :tyspin

sallyanne wrote:
Stunning

merrak wrote:
It's interesting to see another style from you. I think this is pretty good!

I'd suggest reading this ~ http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2010/03/draw-hair/
if you want some advice on drawing hair. Your hair looks a bit too flat to me - it needs more depth.

Thank you for the link, this hair is a bit more dificult because of the race the hair isn't as soft so to shade is a bit hard. :S

:tyspin :tyspin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Really like it Moko, it has a unique style which makes it interesting, don't lose the style by becoming to technical.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:58 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
Really like it Moko, it has a unique style which makes it interesting, don't lose the style by becoming to technical.

Thank you!
Yes sir I'll work on not being to nitt pickey. :P :D