It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I can´t continue ....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:13 am  (#21) 
Global Moderator

Erisian wrote:

I think it's good that people can query rules in case they can be improved for the benefit of all. At the end of the day it is the decision of those in charge, for good reason, but I would hate to be part of something where I didn't feel able to discuss opinions and ideas. The way you have just described sounds suffocatingly dictatorial.

I believe Mike is only stating the obvious. I don't tell the admin of various professional sites to make changes to their TOS because I feel it infringes on my ability to be a part of their forums. It is what it is. If I do feel suffocated, I unsubscribe and move on, which I have done in the past. Suggestions are always welcome and always will be.

After a brief discussion about the rules with us mods, Wallace had to make a decision, that only he could make. I decided to stand by whatever decision he made. I think that until Wallace has more control of the forum (if that ever materializes) he will be able to better implement updates and SPAM modifications that protect the forum better than they do now.

Ask yourselves: How hard is it to make 5 posts? That is a deal breaker? Seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:16 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Mike wrote:
Quite frankly, I am surprised this even made the second page of comments.

Most sites would be like, "It's our policy and if you don't like it you know where the exit can be located."

Sites don't create rules so their users can tell them they know a better way.

I think it's good that people can query rules in case they can be improved for the benefit of all. At the end of the day it is the decision of those in charge, for good reason, but I would hate to be part of something where I didn't feel able to discuss opinions and ideas. The way you have just described sounds suffocatingly dictatorial.

The way it works is you agree to the rules BEFORE you register, not after you register and argue them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but my own forums, and I have several, a couple of which I have had for twenty years, do not allow any public discussion of the rules. It is grounds for permanent banishment from the forums. Arguing the rules places staff in the awkward position of defending rules they themselves did not create. The rules were created by administration, in my specific case, by me, and I am not around to argue them with people. Asking the staff to white knight defend my policies is unfair to them. They volunteer their time and energy to help people, not argue the rules.

This is the way most forums operate. It's not personal against the membership. It's to allow staff to serve the purpose for which they agreed to become staff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:30 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

It was awesome to get an inside look at how forums are operated. In most groups, Admins don't have it easy. Thanks for all the efforts y'all put into keeping Gimpchat running smoothly!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:44 am  (#24) 
Script Coder

Mike wrote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative but my own forums, and I have several, a couple of which I have had for twenty years, do not allow any public discussion of the rules. It is grounds for permanent banishment from the forums. Arguing the rules places staff in the awkward position of defending rules they themselves did not create. The rules were created by administration, in my specific case, by me, and I am not around to argue them with people. Asking the staff to white knight defend my policies is unfair to them. They volunteer their time and energy to help people, not argue the rules.

This is the way most forums operate. It's not personal against the membership. It's to allow staff to serve the purpose for which they agreed to become staff.

As I read you, the problem is that owners/admins don't want to interact with the hoi polloi...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:57 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

IMHO - admins and mods have to do their best in an age not only of spam bots but of so many InfoSec breaches - especially now.

Five (5) post is nothing. Just look at the incredible art that is on here and those posts will flow freely both in admiration, or even in questions ( "how did you do that ? ")

I am very new here and everyone has been incredible, polite and patient with my questions. They either tell you answer if it's easy enough - or they will direct you to another thread or even tutorial (which i go to and pic one to try every so often and try all kinds of changes to the option.. so much fun)

So (again) -IMHO- five posts are easy. It is done for our benefit and protection. It's that simple. I don't take the curt replies by the admins/mods as rude, but more a some frustration of being debated with over a minor policy.

OK-enough from me. To the Admins and Mods - I appreciate all the work you do ! Thank you

(LeftyLeo/James)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:45 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Mike wrote:

As I read you, the problem is that owners/admins don't want to interact with the hoi polloi...

I simply lack the time. I work 60 hours a week or more and deal with all of the technical issues in my "free time."

You can see how often I check into this site now. I once made it a point to visit daily. I still use GIMP a lot but I have no time to use it for enjoyment.