It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Internet Service Provider
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:36 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Actually, the cable modem I just bought is $12.95 including shipping. Looks like they're selling a lot of them. Money back in 60 days so if it doesn't work or dies, I can get a refund or replacement.

Cool; you could buy 2 of them and it would pay for itself in a little more then 3 months rent then. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

We switched to uverse, it's screaming fast. I too remember getting my first 300 baud modem and going to my first ascii bulletin board. I was on the top of the world. Them I got a 4800 and after that I couldn't get enough speed, even now.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Looks like my speed is close to what Rod has, and I also have the cable modem provided by the isp. It's fine in general but uploads and downloads of very large files can be a pain! We pay for the lower level speed, not going to pay an addition $10 monthly just for the few times I want to upload a big file.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:36 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

That's way too slow for cable modem 2-ton. I bet your cable model has some latent issues. If you are renting your modem, there is no issue at all to get it exchanged. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

I'm still on Commie-cast I have other choices but what I gain in services from the others I loose in internet speed! Here are my results:

The funny thing is I'm on the 'lite' version of Comcasts internet which guarantees at least 8Mbps down even though it's a 12Mbps product. So I'm pulling almost 25Mbps down I'm not complaining nor am I tell them about it!

I know that from time to time when I loose power there is some internal file in the modem that gets corrupted and I have to have Comcast send a modem refresh signal to it and that usually does the deal. When the file get corrupted I get really cruddy speeds and a lot of latency!

What I am waiting for is Google Fiber. Hopefully in the next year to two years it'll get here. 1Gbps down stream, no data cap and a whole lotta goodies too! For the same service I have now it'll be about $80 cheaper with more perks added. Figure that one out!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Mine is usually faster but it rained last night and that usually affects it here.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:19 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Well, I do have a new modem that they sent but since this one still works I never bothered to change it! Since I went from dial up to this, it seemed fast to me, lol. I think I might change to the new one now and run a test with it. Oh wait, we don't have cable internet, we have DSL but use the cable modem box. ANd we def have a rather crappy DSL...I would love to have real cable but it's not available out here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Founder

lylejk wrote:
Cool; you could buy 2 of them and it would pay for itself in a little more then 3 months rent then. :)
After doing several factory resets last night, I've gotten this modem working a little better now so I guess I'll keep it around as my emergency spare.

After the factory resets, for some reason, the download channel changed from 79 to 80, along with the frequency. It's much better than it was but still not nearly as fast as it should be, and not as fast as the modem my friend brought over yesterday for testing.

Gms9810 wrote:
We switched to uverse, it's screaming fast. I too remember getting my first 300 baud modem and going to my first ascii bulletin board. I was on the top of the world. Them I got a 4800 and after that I couldn't get enough speed, even now.
I will consider uverse when this contract runs out. After their teaser rates, uverse is kind of expensive, depending on the service tier you choose. After this new pricing structure, Charter cable isn't that cheap either. They now only offer 2 tiers. $50+taxes and fees gets you up to 30Mbps and $100+taxes and fees gets you 100Mbps. I think they should have kept around a lower end tier, say 15Mbps for $30, like they had. I guess they are gambling that they will gain more customers than they loose.

2-ton wrote:
Looks like my speed is close to what Rod has, and I also have the cable modem provided by the isp.
Yes, that looks like standard DSL of 3Mbps down and 768Kbps up, which is exactly what I had before moving to Charter. It looks like you're getting full speed for your tier so swapping modems isn't likely to increase your speeds. They might be phasing out your current modem so you should probably install the new one anyway. You'll be good to go if that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
Well, I do have a new modem that they sent but since this one still works I never bothered to change it! Since I went from dial up to this, it seemed fast to me, lol. I think I might change to the new one now and run a test with it. Oh wait, we don't have cable internet, we have DSL but use the cable modem box. ANd we def have a rather crappy DSL...I would love to have real cable but it's not available out here.

Then what you posted is probably as good as it gets then 2-ton. Still much better then dial-up. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:45 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, and the new backup modem they sent is the same model. Darrell is hankering for Satellite internet but I am not...it goes out every time heavy clouds come over as it does for the TV.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Founder

2-ton wrote:
Yes, and the new backup modem they sent is the same model. Darrell is hankering for Satellite internet but I am not...it goes out every time heavy clouds come over as it does for the TV.
I agree with you 2-ton. I wouldn't trade DSL for Satellite. Aside from weather issues, there are latency issues as well, unless they've found some way around it. I'd stick with DSL and if you need the extra speed, just upgrade to the next DSL tier.

Same model modem, huh? Yep, no need to change it out then. :hehe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

and at least I have a new modem in case the old one goes out!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Since we're talking about internet I'd like to be the downer in the room.

I have wireless-dialup all in one.
Now you may mourn with me. :lol
It's better than nothing though. :X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:35 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

You have more patience then me Moka Moko; hearts out to you. I was on dial-up (but at least not wireless too) until 2005. Lucky to have highspeed for sure. :)

Last edited by lylejk on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you! :X
Gaming on it is painful, I get like 18,000 ping at times. xD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 am  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Mokonafan wrote:
Thank you! :X
Gaming on it is painful, I get like 18,000 ping at times. xD

OMG I couldnt stand it!! LOL..
amazing tho, its what I used to have years ago and dealt with it because there was nothing else. I thought I was made back then!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 am  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

This is all very interesting and I am glad to see that Australia is not alone with low dsl speeds . I am getting regularly chucked off GC with time outs. I live in the country and my download speed is around 0.8 -3.0 MB/s. The thing I hate is that I pay the same price for this service as my counterparts in the cities who enjoy 10-20Mb/s and complain about the lack of speed!
The other part of the discussion here seem to point to modems as a culprit. I have a modem/router Belkin . I hope someone can shed some more light on this as I fail to understand how modems will make much difference in throughput as they are just a bit of hardware and my speeds would probably not stress the modem's limits. Also at $120-140 to just see if it will improve my throughput I really would like to know a bit more about this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 am  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

wbool63 I'm in the country as well and have adsl with BIG WOOP!! but last week I went and bought a new modem router fromt hem for $48 and the speed picked up quite a bit...now getting nearly 7MBS most of the time...maybe you could try that...I got the thing at the Telstra shop nearby and paid for it over the counter..previously I was using a netgear modem/router...I think the newer ones are a bit more capable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 am  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

probably what I should tell you too is that the main reason I went for anew modem was that my 18yo got himself a new laptop...every time he turned it on the wireless would be knocked out for all of us...turns out the Netgear one was incompatible with his new computer wireless card...worked alright on wired connection however...but in our house we have 3 of us using the net on various appliances...couple of iPads, both laptop and desktop for me at various times, not to mention iPhones from time to time and net radio...Just did not suit that the wireless was not going to work each time he turned on his lappy and knocked it out and I wasnt interested in the theory of it not being compatible...but when I found I could get a new one for that price, I did...and the minute it connected we noticed a huge difference. It hasnt happened since.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:16 am  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Akky, your setup in the house is the same as mine with multiple users. And I am also with Big Woop. Can you PM me or tell me here which model modem/router you got? You have convinced me that I should give it a try.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next