It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not Very Good News...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:33 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

WOW, sorry to hear the news Wallace, be well. Hope you're back Gimping soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:54 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry to read about your heart attack but glad you are ok and on the mend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Oh that must have been terrifying to say the least. Bad news turned into good news since you are on the mend. And what better non-physical activity than gimping to fill your hours!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:15 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Dude, no. That's awful. Take care of yourself, man.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:21 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:03 am  (#26) 
Script Coder

I'm glad you survived your ordeal and wish you the best during your time of recovery.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:21 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace, the best I can tell you is that you now have less likelihood of dying from a heart attack than those who have not experienced it and may not have time to implant a stent.
Gradually we getting used to the drugs and our fragility.
I think the hardest thing is to become aware that we are frail and mortal, but we have efficient psychological defenses and managed to overcome the sadness.
If you feel very sad and fragile do not be postponing psychotherapy. Makes very good for health.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:12 pm  (#28) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Carlos Diniz wrote:
Wallace, the best I can tell you is that you now have less likelihood of dying from a heart attack than those who have not experienced it and may not have time to implant a stent.
Gradually we getting used to the drugs and our fragility.
I think the hardest thing is to become aware that we are frail and mortal, but we have efficient psychological defenses and managed to overcome the sadness.
If you feel very sad and fragile do not be postponing psychotherapy. Makes very good for health.

Thanks Carlos for your sound observations and advice, and I'll be seeing a Therapist soon to discus exactly what you've mentioned.
While the attack was happening, in no way did I feel as though I was going to pass-out or anything like that. It was very painful though, and riding a bicycle during the entire event didn't help matters.
I'm not an unhealthy person with bad habits, I don't drink or smoke and I have a good varied diet that doesn't include junk food of any kind. I don't use salt and seldom if at all eat sweets.
I've been riding a bicycle for over 40 years now. I use my bike as someone might use their car, to get form point A to point B. I've also used it to take me form my home to work and back again for the past 20 years. And I've been getting an annual physical for the past 20 years that didn't show anything was wrong.
The blockage in my artery was mostly due to genetics/predisposition, and also from forgetting that I was at risk.
All in all, I feel very lucky that I'm still alive. I'm in good spirits and hope to return to riding my bicycle daily.
Thanks to all of you that have wished me well, It's very encouraging and heartfelt, (no pun intended). :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:27 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace, all you said above makes me believe that you'll have a very happy life for ever. I hope you continue to create beautiful things to leave to posterity. This is the only way we know to become somewhat immortal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

Wow Wallace, thank God you are ok! That's amazing.

You might do some research on cayenne and other natural treatments if you are interested at all on natural approaches. I would be careful painting myself into a corner of taking medications, remember that is only ONE method of dealing with the issues you have. My Dad had open heart valve replacement and is down to just one! So take heart (sorry bad pun) and realize that it may not be as bad as it feels in that area. Sometimes I think they paint the worst case scenario, because then it looks better when it isn't as bad as they say it will be. :)

Praying for you to feel better and do well as you recover!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:07 am  (#31) 
Administrator

AllenaMae wrote:
Wow Wallace, thank God you are ok! That's amazing.

You might do some research on cayenne and other natural treatments if you are interested at all on natural approaches. I would be careful painting myself into a corner of taking medications, remember that is only ONE method of dealing with the issues you have. My Dad had open heart valve replacement and is down to just one! So take heart (sorry bad pun) and realize that it may not be as bad as it feels in that area. Sometimes I think they paint the worst case scenario, because then it looks better when it isn't as bad as they say it will be. :)

Praying for you to feel better and do well as you recover!

Thanks AllenaMae.
Cayenne? That's interesting. I'm guessing that you're referring to "cayenne pepper". I'll have to check this out thoroughly.
I've had a few followup exams with all my doctors. Their all in agreement that I'm doing very well, and don't see any issues that would keep me form continuing my "normal" activities.
I would've been very sad if I had to give up riding my bicycle.
I feel great, despite what has happened. With no sings that anything has occurred. And this is confirmed by all my doctors. All my tests have come back "normal".
With just a few small changes to my diet, I should be able to keep my LDL's and HDL's at acceptable levels (totals below 200 are acceptable). My cholesterol totals are below 200, but given my predisposition to heart disease, it would be best to get them even lower.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:17 am  (#32) 
Global Moderator

That is great news Wallace, I am very happy to know that you didn't have any heart damage, that surprises me too because of the length of time you took to get yerself to the hospital.
Anyone I know that had stents put in are doing great, in fact better than before the procedure. I would think your breathing or shortness of breath is greatly improved.
Woo hoo, :teeth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:39 am  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Good news bud. I'm glad to hear it all turned out okay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:00 am  (#34) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
That is great news Wallace, I am very happy to know that you didn't have any heart damage, that surprises me too because of the length of time you took to get yerself to the hospital.
Anyone I know that had stents put in are doing great, in fact better than before the procedure. I would think your breathing or shortness of breath is greatly improved.
Woo hoo, :teeth

Thanks Molly!
The blockage was very small, but a blockage it was nonetheless. My cardiologist was surprised as well to see that there wasn't any residual damage. I'm always surprised at how resilient my body seems to be.
Surprisingly I didn't experience any breathing problems, before, during or after the attack.
ek22 wrote:
Good news bud. I'm glad to hear it all turned out okay.

Yes thank you Ek22.
I feel the same way about it, and am very fortunate that things went the way they did. :bigthup

Post subject: Re: Not Very Good News, Turns into "Great News"...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:36 am  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

I don't ever really know what to say when stuff like this happens. Words seem so inadequate when trying to convey that you care in more than just passing. I check on gc often, even if I post sporadically and I like seeing how people get on with their lives. I don't like to see near death experiences. So. No more of that. *grumpyface*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 am  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Glad to hear that Wallace. I'm convinced that lethargy is the leading cause of all folks demise but your active lifestyle is what saved you. Take care man. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 am  (#37) 
Administrator

:ninja by lylejk... :hehe
lylejk wrote:
Glad to hear that Wallace. I'm convinced that lethargy is the leading cause of all folks demise but your active lifestyle is what saved you. Take care man. :)

Thanks Lylejk and I agree.
ek22 wrote:
I don't ever really know what to say when stuff like this happens. Words seem so inadequate when trying to convey that you care in more than just passing. I check on gc often, even if I post sporadically and I like seeing how people get on with their lives. I don't like to see near death experiences. So. No more of that. *grumpyface*

I understand how you feel Ek22 and I too would rather not hear this kind of thing, but sometimes reality can't be ignored.
I don't have much outside of GC, and I felt the need to express what had happened. In some way I feel very connected to this website and it's members.
Again... I do understand. On the other hand, it would have been very distressing to me to not express what had happen given how connected I feel about everyone and everything that occurs here.
It may seem strange to say this , but I feel as though you guys are a kind of extended family.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:27 am  (#38) 
Script Coder

Sorry to hear about that, Wallace! WoW! Thankful you were able to recognize what was happening and made it to the ER in time. Glad to hear there's no damage and you're on the mend.

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 am  (#39) 
Administrator

fencepost wrote:
Sorry to hear about that, Wallace! WoW! Thankful you were able to recognize what was happening and made it to the ER in time. Glad to hear there's no damage and you're on the mend.

Thanks FP, I feel very fortunate indeed. :bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:38 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

wallace: glad to hear you're getting on fine - i don't expect to hear anything else from you in the future either :).
gc and its members really can feel very close. i think i have shared all the important things from my past year and a half here, both the good and the bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next