It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help with linux and ext2/3 please
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:07 am  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

I thought I'd see what a 3 GB file does on FAT32 first. If that gives the same problems, even after leaving the pendrive in ther machine for a long time after copying then I don't have to bother with a 5 GB file on ext3.

Oh Molly, I forgot to answer you earlier. If I'm right VIDEO_TS is the name of the folder with what you do when burning to DVD. the files are .vob files. For me the files are .ts so I think that's different.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 am  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

Copied a 3GB file to FAT32, unplugged almost immediately after it was done copying without any problems.
Think ext3 just isn't supported properly. :(

edit- Then copied the same file to ext3, waited at least 10 minutes after copying, unplugged and pendrive was wiped.

The TV device is Linux based I think. My pendrive is called sda1.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Founder

Well, we gave it the old college try. That's for sure.

You know, I would have expected the internal drive in your TV device to be sda and the pendrive to be sdb.

You're right, the drive designation of sd(x) does point to the device being Linux based.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:24 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

The internal drive is called HDD.

I gave puppy linux a shot, just for fun. Got into a bit of a catch 22 situation (sort of) The DVD rom tray doesn't pop open when you close it down and when the computer is off you can't open the tray to remove the live CD. But when you turn the computer back on, it starts booting up from the CD. I did manage to get out of puppy linux on the second restart though. :hehe

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:24 pm  (#45) 
GimpChat Founder

Yep, hdd is a valid storage device name in Linux. At one point, IDE drives were designated hda through hdd and SCSI drives were designated sda though sdd, with numbers specifying each partition. For example..

sda1 is the first partition on SCSI drive a

hdd2 is the second partion on IDE drive d

Now that we have SATA drives, USB drives and such, many distros (like Fedora) will just designate them all with the "sd" prefix.

In the first example of gparted I posted here, you can see the 3 drives in this PC were designated sda, sdb & sdc; sda is an IDE drive, sdb is is a SATA drive and sdc is the pendrive, yet there was no difference in the designation prefix.

Anyway,

What did you think of Puppy Linux?

It's pretty nice for an OS that runs completely from ramdisk and loads from a CD. You just have to remember to single click instead of double click with puppy (you can change that). It's hard to break old Windows habits. :) I've never been able to break away from the double click mindset.

After you copied a movie, were you able to remove the pendrive from the TV unit and browse the ext3 formated pendive on Puppy?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:57 pm  (#46) 
Retired Staff

The first time I installed Linux on a dual boot system, the hard drives were listed as hda and hdb in Linux except I had sata drives and hence, it listed them as sda and sdb.

My laptop has a standard hd on it and when I partitioned and installed on it, the hard drive was listed as hda.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:17 am  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

Puppy linux was a bit of a problem with my screen resolution and screensize. Don't think there was an option for lower resolution widescreen. Everything looked tiny. Maybe you can change that by increasing the fontsize. Didn't really like the feel of the windows either.

I initially tried it for the multi session live DVD. But couldn't find a way to burn it on windows. So I burned a normal Live CD but couldn't get on the internet from the live CD to read how to burn a live DVD. Then I gave up.
But now I'm thinking that booting up the live CD and then removing the CD and putting in an empty DVD, close down and saving the session on that DVD would do the trick?

I liked Ubuntu better. But the latest Live CD doesn't have GIMP so :rasp