It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 32 vs 64 bit
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

When I originally started my new (2 1/2 years ago) laptop, I was given the option of making it 32 bit or 64 bit. I thought usually smaller is bigger so I chose the smaller number. If, you can choose whatever bit you want your computer to be, can you change it once you have assigned it to a #bit?
Just wondering.

I know after 2.5 years I am almost due for another but it is still going well.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Windows 32 vs 64 bit
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

It is always wise to go with 64 bit because it will get to the point there will be too many apps and scripts, plug-ins etc you won't be able to use on a 32 bit. You can use 32 bit on a 64 bit pc but you can't run 64 apps on a 32.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:24 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I have already found that out Molly. A fractal program (JWildfire), I want to run says it wont work properly on 32. Like I said I was given either option and didn't know before which was better. I had to make it one or the other before I could even come online to find out. I guess next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:26 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Ask one the thousand techie people we got here, maybe it can be done, I don't know. OR they can tell you in a computer store.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:46 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Looks like it can be done but I might leave well enough alone. Have to do a lot of messing around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:53 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Sallyanne, Apophysis is great program and I believe it works on 32 bit. I use it on my HP 64 bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Back your data and installers (and keys) and then re-install your OS for 64-bit; you won't regret it. You will immediately be able to use more memory for starters. OS runs more efficiently too and applications can be isolated from one another as well as reduce the possibility of BSODs.

I'm talking to you as a computer guy (was doing computer repair on and off since 1987 and for my main job between 2005 and 2010. I now do computer support in a helpdesk situation).

If your system is able to run as a 64-bit OS and you are not, you are not taking advantage of the system. It's like paying for a 5-star hotel, but you end up doing so for a room at Motel 6. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

You can't update from 32-bit to 64-bit. You'll have to reinstall replacing the 32bit version with a 64bit version of Windows.

Sometimes, this can be a little tricky, due to the specific hardware drivers needed by the system, especially on laptops and/or for someone who has never installed Windows and is not familiar with hardware driver installation/configuration.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Lyle every one mentions keys. What sort of keys? I didn't have to install anything onto my computer when I got it as it had a few programs already on it as new. So I don't remember having CD's either. I have only used them for my primary ISP start-up connection.
Only stuff I have installed is downloads etc.

Oh and I have 344GB free of 455GB. I have still only used quarter of the storage but one of my girls says you use some while online. I only have 4GB RAM.

Last edited by sallyanne on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:30 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Thank you GnuTux.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Founder

sallyanne wrote:
I didn't have to install anything onto my computer when I got it as it had a few programs already on it as new. So I don't remember having CD's either.

Many laptop (and desktop) manufacturers don't provide actual CDs/DVDs. The Window's install disks (or system restore images) are most likely located on your computer. There will be a utility included to allow you to create the install CDs/DVDs or disks containing the "system restore" image.

If you can provide the Make and Model of the laptop you have, we can check to see what the manufacturer might have included on your model.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

I just uploaded a screen-shot GnuTux in a post a couple back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Founder

I see that it's a Toshiba but it doesn't say which model. The OS can be bundled differently, depending on model.

http://www.toshiba.com/us/laptop-models

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

It's in the satellite notebook series....nothing after it though unless it says so further in.
Probably already out of date - I got this one April 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:35 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Founder

You can probably find the model number on a sticker on the bottom (or side) or the unit.

I checked out Toshiba Satellite and with most models, they offer a couple of ways to reinstall.

1) Create a set of recovery disks using the Recovery Disk Creator. Go to "Start - All Programs - Toshiba - Recovery - Recovery Disk Creator". This will create a set of recovery disks if (or when) you have a catastrophic hard drive failure. Installing with these recovery disks will overwrite everything on your system, placing it back to factory defaults.

or

2) Start the recovery process on boot up. This method also overwrites everything on your system, placing it back to factory defaults.

Using either of these methods, you will need to back up all of your data. After the recovery to a "factory" state is complete, you will need to reinstall all of your programs and restore your backed up data.

Since you mentioned that you had the choice to setup Windows 32bit or Windows 64bit when you first got the system, according to this page, you should be given the same choice when you initiate the recovery process.

Quote:
I've installed a 32bit version of Windows but I would like to change this to a 64bit version (or vice versa); how do I do this?

You may change this by running a System Recovery on your computer. For instructions on how to do this you may go here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
Lyle every one mentions keys. What sort of keys? I didn't have to install anything onto my computer when I got it as it had a few programs already on it as new. So I don't remember having CD's either. I have only used them for my primary ISP start-up connection.
Only stuff I have installed is downloads etc.

Oh and I have 344GB free of 455GB. I have still only used quarter of the storage but one of my girls says you use some while online. I only have 4GB RAM.

Not sure what programs besides Open Source ones that you are running Sallyanne. For me, I had DAP, PostworkShop Pro, and Flame Painter for starters. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:22 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

Mine came with a couple of Microsoft programs. Word, Excel, Paint and Power Point. They are called starter programs and only worked properly for three months. They still work but not with the full capabilities. I have the MO shortcut in my programs just in case I want to buy it but I doubt I will. Also quite a few windows programs Windows Media Centre, [Recovery Media Creator and DVD creator] (Not used them), Movie Maker, Live Messenger (I never use it) and all the accesories you usually get. Most computers these days come with IE too. Thank goodness it did so I could download Mozilla straight away as I don't like using IE. Then I was able to get a few OS programs. After Mozilla first one I downloaded would have been Gimp. Then I got Libre Office but I don't use it much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Founder

It sounds like you don't have that many new applications to install, sallyanne. Firefox, GIMP and Libre Office can be re-installed easy enough. Those trial Microsoft programs will be on your system restore, as well as IE and all the other MS programs that comes with Windows. It will also restore all of your Toshiba related files and drivers.

If I were you, I'd make a list of all the data that needs to be backed up and save it off to an external drive/USB drive or burn it to DVD(s).

Then, just do a factory restore from bootup and select Windows 7 64-bit when prompted.

To start with, I can think of these you'll probably need to backup..