It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Google Maps Led me Astray
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:39 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

Google Maps should be the all-knowing geographic assistant that gets me where I need to go. But after some botched navigation on a European vacation, I now have trust issues.........

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/how-google- ... me-astray/

I don't drive so have no need for the app. Do you have any bad results or is it always good?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How Google Maps Led me Astray
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:44 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

;) :hehe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:33 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

Works pretty well for me. The fun bit is that my phone system language is English(*) (because an Android phone is a computer and I'm used to English-writing computers), so the navigation voice is English, trying to pronounce all these French names ("take a turn right on Ahvenew Châââls DiGôôôl"). Makes for very entertaining rides.

(*) Actually en_IE, English for Ireland. This is English with Euro, metric measures and a decent calendar format. Of course the embedded news app keeps me abreast of the latest events in Sligo and Cork.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:57 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

It actually gave my wife and myself the right address but wrong name for the destination yesterday when we took our son to a manpower interview for work. :) Told us we were heading to Bobs Buffalo Wings restaurant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:05 am  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I had issues with it when I first moved to AZ. The street I was living on went clear across town, from east to west. It isn't one continuous street, it has other streets going through it. So you could be on this same street but be either on the east side or west and still be on the same street. The street numbers are the same east or west except if you're east you add an E to the address and if your west a W.
Google would not distinguish east from west on this street and would send you miles out of your way in the opposite direction.
Good thing I had the presence of mind to pick up a map of the area and double check where google was sending me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:37 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Smart move