It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About to go dark.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

AT&T's about to bury my cable; it may take a few hours to complete the task. Hopefully no surprises afterwards. :)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: About to go dark.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:04 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:14 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Well, after talking with the guy (and before posting), I was under the impression that he was about to bury the cable now. After taking a shower (yard work done; pulled my hip; oh well. lol), I looked and the truck was gone. Not sure when the cable will be buried now. lol

:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Founder

Good luck. Charter has not went down for nearly a week for me. I'm hoping its fixed but not counting on it. :hehe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I left about an hour and a half ago (grocery shopping and dropping off magazines to my Dad's Doctor (well was; why throw away perfectly good periodicals that my Dad overly subscribed too; lol). Well, when I got back the guy was done; he told me it took all of 15 minutes to complete; hard to believe. Hardly can tell where the wires were dug too. He told me the machine cost around $60K; wish I had one when I was working for Satellites Unlimited. lol

:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:58 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Google luck guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:16 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I'm actually getting better download speed with the new cable (underground). I was getting 15Mb/s but now getting over 19Mb/s (only paying for 18Mb/s). Since AT&T uses fibre, the potential for even greater speed is there. The guy told me that I have a direct connection to the server too (no sharing across a swath like cable modems do) so it's much more secure. Still, I was getting between 25 and 28Mb/s with Charter so I did take a slight hit but don't notice it at all with browsing. Oh, yeah; Charter also gave me 4Mb/s upload speed so I do feel some pain when sharing my renders online, but not that significant. Biggest thing is, it will save me $92/month. Well, gotta run for now. :)

Attachments:
speedtest.png
speedtest.png [ 161.67 KiB | Viewed 3286 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

My measly numbers, and it's not that cheap, either, and there are no other choices offered where I live. My daughter just changed to UVerse, and is saving quite a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:25 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I guess I have nothing to complain about then 2-ton. So far am quite happy. Simply amazed (read that as overwhelmed) at the channel lineup too that's standard with my package. I guess there is advantage to going fibre over standard coax. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:26 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I can't wait for the day we can get uVerse out here, but it's not going to be anytime soon. So I sit and watch the larger graphics load up, line by line, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Founder

AT&T sent me a letter with this month's offer: $79 per month for Internet (only 6Mbs), TV (low end family plan with 130 basic channels) & Phone (200 minutes - which is nothing). I'm not that impressed with this bundle.

I still might consider their internet service, but only if Charter starts acting up again. I have a 1 year deal with Charter for $40 per month for internet only (fast 60Mbs though).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

lylejk wrote:
...The guy told me that I have a direct connection to the server too (no sharing across a swath like cable modems do) so it's much more secure...
Security is only as good as the weakest link in the whole network.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:21 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Founder

lylejk wrote:
...The guy told me that I have a direct connection to the server too (no sharing across a swath like cable modems do) so it's much more secure...

Which would also keep you running fast, unlike a bunch of users fighting for shared bandwidth on a cable modem. Not many in my neighborhood has Charter anymore, so all I have to worry about is it staying up. :lol

Odinbc wrote:
Security is only as good as the weakest link in the whole network.

Which is usually a weak password. No amount of security can protect the network from a pass phrase like "pass123". :hehe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:14 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Founder

Did some more research and it turns out that AT&T has another $79 bundle:
U300 TV with 390 channels & Max+ Internet @ 18Mbps.

Is that what you have, Lyle?

There are hidden fees: mandatory $7 per month for the internet router and an optional $10 per month for HDTV and who doesn't want HD? So, you might as well say that's mandatory too.

That takes the phony $79.00 price to $96.00 per month. There are probably other fees I'm not seeing.

They do give you a $150 visa card, offsetting 75% of the $204.00 in hidden fees. That makes the real cost $83.50 per month, which really isn't bad for TV + Internet. Looks like they wave all the installation and activation fees too.

Of course, all this is just a 12 month teaser plan. After that, it goes way up to $170.00 per month for the same service. :hoh

I guess you have to bounce back and forth between providers each year to get the deals. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:37 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Sounds like my deal except it's costing me $140/month ($10 or $15, can't remember how much, for HD TV). Still, I won't use a cable company to handle my landline phones, so, again, it's saving me $92/month this year. I will have to renegotiate to keep the prices down next year. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:15 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Founder

I see. You're bundling in phone service too and you probably have more than one TV connected, as well. All that drives up the price. Did you get the $150 visa card, which is the big special this month? You should be getting that and if not, you need to inquire.

I don't have a need for a land line. I do have a netTALK Duo-II that I can activate for $30 per year. Might do that soon. Actually, I see they are giving away a free netTALK Duo with one month of service. $20 shipping though, so I guess it's not really free. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:13 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Lyle.
My download speed is 4.21 mbs. I use my phone company for internet, phone and tv though all for 112.00 per month. :hehe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:40 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
I see. You're bundling in phone service too and you probably have more than one TV connected, as well. All that drives up the price. Did you get the $150 visa card, which is the big special this month? You should be getting that and if not, you need to inquire.

I don't have a need for a land line. I do have a netTALK Duo-II that I can activate for $30 per year. Might do that soon. Actually, I see they are giving away a free netTALK Duo with one month of service. $20 shipping though, so I guess it's not really free. :roll:

No, but was sort of shellshocked that my bill was around $22 higher then they quoted but they said it was for the few days that I used it in August. I supposedly was sent an email for a few device en-lieu of a $100 gift. Literally just got off the phone with their billing support (while typing this) and they are also going to throw in a free device (phone, xbox, and I forgot what the third device was). I'm a little suspicious of this though. I won't get the offer though until the end of September (after holding the account for a month) Anyway, again, I smell a bait and switch, but that's just me channeling my inner paranoid self. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:39 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

How different from the Netherlands.
Download 18.6 Mbit Upload 8.5 Mbit.
Fiber is not available in rural areas where I live.
This is on copper wires laid in the late 1950's.
I costs us € 63 /month.
For that we have HDTV,Internet and unlimited phone calls to fixed numbers.
Calls to cellphones cost extra but not much.
I am with xs4all which is the second oldest IP in my country.
It was bought by KPN which is the largest provider here and formerly was the government phone company.EU law made privatising mandatory.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:15 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Founder

@gerard82 - It's Interesting for me to hear how it works outside the USA. Your price works out to be about $87.50 per month in USD. It's also interesting that you have to pay extra to connect with cell phones. I've never heard of an extra charge for that here in the states.

@Lyle - Prorating your bill for the few day in the prior month is SOP for AT&T and so is waiting 4 weeks for your freebies. I guess I'm gonna stick with Charter for now, as long as it consistently stays up. I have around 6 months left on my Charter contract. After that, they will be increasing the price from $40 to $57 per month. I'll be going with AT&T at that point (if not sooner).