It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going to be busy.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:05 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Ever since I found out that it would be legal for me to re-install my Win7 (remember ol' Betsy died on me), I've been putting off doing so. Well, I finally broke down. lol

Had some issues (found solution online) and now finally have it installed as a virtual machine. I have a heck of a lot of updates to do though so don't think I'm ignoring you all. lol

Cool that, currently, I essentially have 3 OSs running simultaneously (Win8-64 bit (host), WinXP (typing this now using that ol OS), and Win7-64-bit. :)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Going to be busy.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:37 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Lyle
doesn't it affect the pc's resources?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:02 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

lylejk wrote:
Cool that, currently, I essentially have 3 OSs running simultaneously (Win8-64 bit (host), WinXP (typing this now using that ol OS), and Win7-64-bit. :)

Have you been reported to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Computers yet? Three Windows? Poor boy. What has it done to you to warrant this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

lol, go to Linux Lyle, your woes will be over.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:46 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Good luck Lyle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:44 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I have Ubuntu too Molly (just didn't run that OS or Win98 when I had the other two VMs and Win8 running; lol). Man what a pain; at least I'm not typing this in Win7. Just creating a new sandbox based on Win7. Well; still have some more work to do (nearly 2 hours of updates already; jeeze. lol). Cool that I now have a 64-bit Windows OS as a sandox. I can also run sandboxie in it so again, I'll soon be dual sandboxed like XP but now I will be in a 64-bit OS. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:32 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Looks like two of us Lyle - I got a nasty attack of 'cryptovirus' this morning and have possibly lost all my files. Working now to see what I can recover from backup before reconstructing my windows machine. At least my 3 Linux systems are OK!

Please everyone be careful, backup everything and take copies off line.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:51 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

That's exactly why I use an OS as a sandbox OMG; I didn't use an anti-virus in XP but decided to install MSE in my Win7 VM for added comfort. I also installed Privoxy to help with unwanted adds. All and all, there's really no fool proof way to protect you but using a Sandbox comes very close to being just that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Sort of bummed; got slow down (and memory) issues with Aero enabled so had to go back to the basic video drivers for my Win7 VM. Oh well. Still, overall, though my VM now takes over 100MBytes of memory while running (XP took around 70MBytes) I'm pretty happy that I will be better protected. Once Sandboxie does a better job at supporting Chrome, I'll also probably install SR Iron Browser and use it since I really liked it for XP. May not completely retire my XP VM (heck, I still run Win98 to play UNO; lol. Also, Autotrace won't work in Win7 (not sure it will Win8 but doubt it will) so there is an occasional reason to open up my XP VM. lol

:)

edit:

Well, I decided to tweak my VM settings again like ignor my VMs from virus scanner and enabled Aero again; seems more stable and quicker. Will continue with the Aero for now. I like the eye candy. lolol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:08 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Yesterday, I started getting Genuine Microsoft Advantage message. I know my old system hardware doesn't match the VM no doubt. Since I'm not sure how the licensing's changed and not willing to purchase an OS license, I've retired the Win7 VM. Back to XP (VM); oh well. Again, I was under the impression this was legit, but I do remember that XP changed the licensing so that the OS had to match the hardware. Suspect the same and don't want Uncle Bill to say I cannot use the license that I paid for for the new system (VM). lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:26 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Time to divorce Uncle Bill and join Uncle Linux

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:45 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

lol

I actually installed the files required for compiz for my Ubuntu Molly. Got the 3D affects all working (3D cube). Also got the drag wobble back (missed it since upgrading 2 or 3 generations ago). Indeed, I may go Ubuntu; just wish they had a Sandboxie equivalent since I like to be double-sandboxed. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:28 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

molly wrote:
Time to divorce Uncle Bill and join Uncle Linux

I agree Molly but shouldn't that be Uncle Linus? ;)

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:45 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Could be either or Odin. :teeth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:42 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Well, I think I registered the OS right this time. I re-entered the product key and it then confirmed my OS is now registered. We shall see if I get the genuine Microsoft Advantage pop up again or not. Still, I do like my XP VM so back to it for now regardless. lol