It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For all you camera buffs out there...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:36 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Zoom much?
Zoom to the max!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: For all you camera buffs out there...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:09 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Hmmph. What they don't tell you is that at these zoom factors, forget about taking a shot hand-held, there will be so much shake that the camera won't even be able to focus. Very good and heavy tripod mandatory. Plus, it's video so anything looks good... I want to see some still shots...

Btw, the Moon moves across the sky at roughly 180° in 12 hours, which is 15°/hour. Since the moon is roughly 0.5° across, in one hour it covers 30 diameters (one diameter every two minutes...), so yes, it moves visibly. You can notice that with the naked eye when it comes close to a bright star/planet (so your eye has some point of reference).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:15 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

:kpix

@ofnuts, notice that with stars also, especially when they come together to make one bright star then move apart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:24 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yes; saw this the other day. I said to myself, if my Leica V-LUX1 ever dies, this was going to be on my wish list. lol

The price is surprisingly not that bad either. Still, in between jobs so I will have to wait. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:43 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

2-ton wrote:

Link won't open for me 2-ton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

lylejk wrote:
Yes; saw this the other day. I said to myself, if my Leica V-LUX1 ever dies, this was going to be on my wish list. lol

The price is surprisingly not that bad either. Still, in between jobs so I will have to wait. :)
A superzoom camera does sound pretty awesome but might not be practical as your main camera. For example, the Nikon P900 has no RAW support. If you are interested in this type of camera the 2015 Superzoom Camera Roundup at DP Review is worth a look.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

this would be great for taking photos of wildlife since you can zoom the heck out of it without scaring the animal away. like birds in the trees.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:57 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

trandoductin wrote:
this would be great for taking photos of wildlife since you can zoom the heck out of it without scaring the animal away. like birds in the trees.

Been there and done that... in practice theses cameras are much too slow for wildlife. The birds have very good eyes. They see you, they watch you. As long as you don't look at them, they are fine. But it you start looking at them they hide or fly away. So you have to take them a bit by surprise, and that requires a quick camera (zoom, and autofocus). The electric zoom is too slow, and no, you can't have a potshot aim with a 600mm(*) lens and expect the bird to be in the frame, and if it's not in the frame you won't find it by just wiggling the lens. So you start your aim with something wider, and zoom in. A couple of seconds with an electric zoom. And then you pray for the autofocus to do its job before the bird flies away (add another second or so). And then you find that autofocus locked on a twig instead of the bird so you try to go manual for the next pictures. But the camera isn't really build to make that fast, and the EVF(**) is not fine enough... Last, the sensor lacks sensitivity so the shutter time will be long. And none of the shake prevention mechanisms will have an effect on a moving subject.

Now, of course, if you are in its blind spot because you have the sun in your back, things are different.
Attachment:
Linotte+Canon+Sigma.JPG
Linotte+Canon+Sigma.JPG [ 118.86 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]

(*) "35mm equivalent" focal length...
(**) forget about the screen on the back, you won't hold the camera at arm's length...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:03 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

ofnuts wrote:
trandoductin wrote:

Been there and done that... in practice theses cameras are much too slow for wildlife. The birds have very good eyes. They see you, they watch you. As long as you don't look at them, they are fine. But it you start looking at them they hide or fly away. So you have to take them a bit by surprise, and that requires a quick camera (zoom, and autofocus). The electric zoom is too slow, and no, you can't have a potshot aim with a 600mm(*) lens and expect the bird to be in the frame, and if it's not in the frame you won't find it by just wiggling the lens. So you start your aim with something wider, and zoom in. A couple of seconds with an electric zoom. And then you pray for the autofocus to do its job before the bird flies away (add another second or so). And then you find that autofocus locked on a twig instead of the bird so you try to go manual for the next pictures. But the camera isn't really build to make that fast, and the EVF(**) is not fine enough... Last, the sensor lacks sensitivity so the shutter time will be long. And none of the shake prevention mechanisms will have an effect on a moving subject.

Now, of course, if you are in its blind spot because you have the sun in your back, things are different.
Attachment:
Linotte+Canon+Sigma.JPG

(*) "35mm equivalent" focal length...
(**) forget about the screen on the back, you won't hold the camera at arm's length...

Egg-salad bird photo.