It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is Windows 10? [why do I get new icon]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:42 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

Has anybody out there tried Windows 10,or know What it is???

Last edited by Graechan on Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: What is Windows 10?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:57 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I recently installed windows 8.1 and there's an icon in my system try, that provides a link for me to reserve a free copy of windows 10.
From what I've been hearing it's going to be the last operation system that Microsoft will release to the public. It's suppose to combine all the best OS's that they have come out with as well as adding some new features.
There are plenty of overviews of the OS on Youtube. Of course these videos don't show the final build of windows 10, only a "beta version".

Last edited by Wallace on Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:13 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Wallace I have Windows 7 and was getting the new icon as well, my wife's had win8 and is currently getting her little laptop loaded with win7

Last edited by Graechan on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:18 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Graechan wrote:
Wallace I have Windows 7 and was getting the new icon as well, my wife's has win8 and is currently getting her little laptop loaded with win7

Windows 10 is suppose to be able to run on systems that can run win7/8. If you have the "Get Windows10" icon you should be able to reserve it.
If I were you, I would reserve the free copy of win10 while you have the chance. Unless you're not interested.

Here is what I see when I click on the "Get Windows10" icon.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Microsoft has announced that it will roll out Windows 10 in phases, starting on its release date of July 29.
That means that not every PC that’s eligible for an upgrade will receive it on launch day. Microsoft says it’s opting for a phased roll-out to help manage the demand.
Microsoft will first deliver the update to users who have signed up for its Windows Insider beta testing program. It will then push Windows 10 in waves to other users who have reserved their copy.
The phased roll-out might sound like a bummer, but it’s mostly a good thing because it will give Microsoft a chance to track and fix any issues that experienced users face when upgrading to Windows 10 — before beaming the update to millions more people.

Note: The KB3035583 Windows Update is responsible for adding the Get Windows 10 app icon to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs and tablets. Originally the KB3035583 update was optional to install. Microsoft has now changed KB3035583 to be recommended, which will have KB3035583 download and install automatically.

Last edited by Wallace on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

I've decided to reserve it, but still remain undecided as whether to install

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Graechan wrote:
I've decided to reserve it, but still remain undecided as whether to install

You'll have about year to decide. After that, if you haven't installed it, you will need to purchase it later if you decide to install it after the cut-off date.
If you can create a duel-boot on your system, then you can install it on a separate partition and it won't effect your already installed windows OS.
It can also be installed as a "Virtual Machine", if one was so inclined.

Post subject: Re: What is Windows 10? [why do I get new icon]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:51 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Not tried it but I have also seen the 'upgrade to Windows 10" and both computers I use (private and work) are running 7

EDIT"-
It cant be office 2010 because I already have it. Which probably isn't the latest as it was installed about 2012

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:16 am  (#8) 
Administrator

sallyanne wrote:
Not tried it but I have also seen the 'upgrade to Windows 10" and both computers I use (private and work and both running 7

EDIT"-
It cant be office 2010 because I already have it. Which probably isn't the latest as it was installed about 2012

If you're talking about the icon that is present in the system tray.
If the machines you work with or have at home, have had windows 7 or 8.1 pre-installed, or installed from a disk or form a ISO file and you have the product key.
You should have the "Get Windows 10" icon present in the system tray.
If on the other hand you did an upgrade from windows Vista to 7, you will not have this icon present in the system tray.
Current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of Windows 10's launch. Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, it's permanent, and Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.
Note: The KB3035583 Windows Update is responsible for adding the Get Windows 10 app icon to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs and tablets.
Originally the KB3035583 update was optional to install. Microsoft has now changed KB3035583 to be recommended, which will have KB3035583 download and install automatically.

Here's the fine print from the Windows 10 page on Microsoft's site:

Quote:
“Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:05 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
Wallace I have Windows 7 and was getting the new icon as well, my wife's had win8 and is currently getting her little laptop loaded with win7

I heard about this the other day. Apparently its a free upgrade for anyone with Windows 7 or 8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:26 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah; I'm taking a risk from going from Win8.1 to Win10, but I'm hoping the risk is going to be negligible since Win10 appears to just be a wrapper change to Win8.1 (for the better that is). For Win7, it will be a heck of a change though. Right now, I'm using Classic Shell to make 8.1 like Win7. Supposedly Win10 will bring the start menu back, but even that will be quite different then Win7's start menu. Also, you won't have easy access to your games; will have to go to the app store to download a free version of Solitaire for instance, and, you will get occasional commercials (unless you pay for the pro version). I hate that. Also, they made Win7 games non-combatible with Win8.1 (so assuming they will be for Win10 as well). There is a hack, but I don't bother. I just play my Freecell and other Solitaire games in my XP Virtual Machine. lol

Yeah; I do hope Win10 is Microsoft's last OS. Gut's telling me otherwise. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:52 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Reserved might stay with what I have though

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:57 pm  (#12) 
Administrator

lylejk wrote:
Yeah; I'm taking a risk from going from Win8.1 to Win10, but I'm hoping the risk is going to be negligible since Win10 appears to just be a wrapper change to Win8.1 (for the better that is). For Win7, it will be a heck of a change though. Right now, I'm using Classic Shell to make 8.1 like Win7. Supposedly Win10 will bring the start menu back, but even that will be quite different then Win7's start menu. Also, you won't have easy access to your games; will have to go to the app store to download a free version of Solitaire for instance, and, you will get occasional commercials (unless you pay for the pro version). I hate that. Also, they made Win7 games non-combatible with Win8.1 (so assuming they will be for Win10 as well). There is a hack, but I don't bother. I just play my Freecell and other Solitaire games in my XP Virtual Machine. lol

Yeah; I do hope Win10 is Microsoft's last OS. Gut's telling me otherwise. :)

I agree with your last statement. I just hope they don't start charging for updates to Windows.
IMHO... XP was the best OS they've ever released.
In Win XP, I was able to use the recording app to record sounds coming form my machine. In every OS after XP this isn't possible. I went from XP to win7, then to win8.1. All within about a year and a half or so. I bypassed Vista altogether and now win10 is on it's way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:50 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

The beta looks like this when you open. What I know there isn't a way to use Win10 without signing in. In Win8 it was possible to bypass that. Waiting for a hack. Probably Ms want to get money from advertiser.

The search bar next to the win-logo, start menu, is now searching both in your machine and in internet. I don't like it. It gives a way too many results. Otherwise it looks like in Win7.

The Start menu looks like this (dark background). It is dealed in two categories current and entertainment.
Behind Start menu is the browser window. It shows in tiles currently visited sites. Default search engine is Bing.
Win10 is easy to use and quite fast.
Things to think:
You have to backup your old system before installing Win10. Otherwise you are not able to downgrade. Downgrade must be done in a month after you installed Win10. After a month you can't do it. Propably there will be a hack to do it, but...
Dual-boot is not possible. So Win10 and Linux in the same machine is not possible. I hate it. I have Win7 and Mint in my machine. Virtual machine – yes but that's not the same. Perhaps in the
Some of your old programs will not work anymore as they do in Win7.
Windows Media Center is not included but you can always use VLC. Also some other programs have disappeared.

I will wait to next year before I'll install it. If I do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:14 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I think I will end up getting Windows 10 whenever I get a new laptop. I'm going to stick to windows 7.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:40 am  (#15) 
Administrator

himppu wrote:
What I know there isn't a way to use Win10 without signing in. In Win8 it was possible to bypass that. Waiting for a hack. Probably Ms want to get money from advertiser.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:41 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, Wallace! :jumpclap

Thank you :tyspin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:30 am  (#17) 
Administrator

mackenzieh wrote:
I think I will end up getting Windows 10 whenever I get a new laptop. I'm going to stick to windows 7.

You're not alone Mackenzieh, many people are doing the same thing your doing. ;)

himppu wrote:
Wow, Wallace! :jumpclap

Thank you :tyspin

You're welcome Himppu.
So I'm guessing from your reaction that this can be done on Win 10?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:27 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

MS giving something away for free without a major catch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:30 am  (#19) 
Administrator

David-C wrote:
MS giving something away for free without a major catch.

MS isn't exactly known for their benevolence.

Goodbye to Windows Media Center, floppy disks, Windows games, Windows 7's desktop gadgets, DVDs will require separate playback software.

System Requirements:
1GHz processor
1GB of RAM
16GB of storage
Display resolution at least 1024 x 600 are required.
These specs are a bit higher for the 64-bit version of Windows 10.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:47 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Most of those are going to be replaced with free apps though Wallace, but still, I'd rather have games then the free solitaire app that forces you to view commercials unless you pay for the pro version. lol

Not getting rid of my XP VM any time soon so I'll still be able to play my Freecell normally. :)

Psalm 109:8