It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The $5 computer.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:35 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Incredible they were able to keep the costs down. Never toyed with Rasberry Pis but at $5, you can make lots of mistakes during prototyping and still pull a profit. Could even be possibly used to turn your TV into a smart TV possibly. :)

http://opensource.com/business/15/11/raspberry-pi-zero

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The $5 computer.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:30 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

"Smart TV" is an oxymoron :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:20 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
ofnuts wrote:
"Smart TV" is an oxymoron :)

Like, "jumbo shrimp", or a "huge minivan"...
:hehe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:28 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

lol; still, it actually has and HDMI output. Just checked the Verge and it is covering the same story. Below's a youtube link that I got from the Verge story. :)

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:20 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

The C.H.I.P. computer, due to go on sale Monday, would seem a much better option (selling for $8 and including wi-fi, bluetooth, and 4GB of storage) from an outfit with a more respectable pedigree than RPF/Broadcom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:27 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

That is amazing, Saul. You really can have a wireless Smart TV for $9 with this one. I'm really thinking about getting a smart dongle (as I like to call it) to plug in the back on my TV's additional HMDI connector (the other one's for my Roku) so that I can browse the internet and stream content that I normally cannot by Roku. If I can by such a system (housing et. al.) for $25, that would be wonderful. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:10 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I already did this. I have turned my man cave TV 51" Samsung into a "Smart" TV (Yes, Ofnuts, it is an oxymoron) I did several things, I redirected the Raspberry to hold/connect my main hard drive with all my games, uploaded, both Atari (classics) and Nintendo (16 bit) games, and then on menu command, I can access my dvd uploads (tedious process, and takes a long time to handshake the selection process). The games move fast since they are smaller files and don't require a lot of upload time, the movies on the other hand, take a bit longer to cycle, which is much faster to just open my cloud online and watch via the TV instead of backing up to a stand-alone hard drive. Games on the other hand, It's smoking tire burning rubber fast... My Atari and Nintendo set-ups have their own consoles, so the kids really enjoy seeing these old classics without having to bounce around all the buttons on a high tech Xbox or Playstation controller.

Maybe one day, I'll rig an Top Industry grade server up to the Raspberry, and watch it spit movies out like jet burners on rocket fuel.