It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:07 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

people go out and buy a 64 GB USB flash drive?
They would come in handy I guess for photographers or those even who have a lot of graphics, music, movies etc on them....my computer is not even half used I have a bit of stuff on it.

Anyhow thought I would tell you about the last bargain I got.

I ordered and paid for a 4GB USB for one of my grandsons. Now I don't know whether to give it to him or not. He is only 13. The company who sold it to me - on special for only $12.99 + $7 shipping AUD made a huge stuff up.
They sent me a 64GB one. Either it won't work for long or I got one heck of a bargain.

Looks like they are not interested in getting it back....I just mentioned it on their FB page...Most people complain about the lousy service they get from them. It looks like they have written out a response for everyone.
(Dear friend,
Thanks for contacting us.
Sorry for that.
Can you please kindly send me a video or a picture to show the problem ?
After we checked, we will send you a replacement.We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Please feel free to contact us for further information or concerns.
We would like to thank you for your support, We wouldn't be around without your continued support.
Thanks.
Best Regards
Cellrizon LXY)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How many....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:40 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

My suggestion would be to buy grandson another 4GB USB stick and keep the 64GB as a backup for the valuable information on your computer.

A friend of mine has recently had a hard disc failure and lost quite a bit. I have now persuaded him to do something similar, and using FreeFileSync (a free programme) it is very quick and efficient.

david.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:12 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Idea david :tyspin
I didn't even think of that!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:01 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

My latest is a 32GB :) However, there are USB drives and USB drives. You can find some crappy no-name stuff that will never hold even half of the announced capacity, and some crappy fake brand stuff as well, so the store where you buy things is important. Good brands: Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston, Verbatim. Some deals are too good to be true.

Furthermore, given the capacities, support for USB3 really makes a difference: you go from 20MB/s to 90-100MB/s, so while filling a 32GB disk at 100MB/s is still 5 solid minutes, it is still vastly better than the half-hour required with USB2.

Anything under 8GB is ridiculous these days. Under 8GB, find leftover camera SD cards and use a card reader (most laptops have a built-in one)

The "sweet spot" size (best size/price ratio) is the 16-32GB range anyway.

Around age 13, the ruggedness is important, as well as a cap that's hard to lose. But it should still be usable in a USB port that is a bit recessed.

The cheap ones aren't very good backup devices IMHO because their reliability is crap.

PS: in my family of 4 I tallied 24 USB keys, from 128MB to 32GB, and around 50 SD cards, from 64MB up.