It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bond metal to metal or anything else (literally) without welding ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

...or soldering. Pretty cool technology that I got the link from my RSS feed. Thought good enough to share here. Glue electronic components for pipes at room temperature. Done. Hope it's as good as what I've read about this technology. Now, you can actually weld plastic pipes to copper ones. You can clue your ICs to the PCB now too. Crazy wonderful. All at room temperature. :)

http://mesoglue.com/

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Bond metal to metal or anything else (literally) without welding .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:03 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Super cool! Nano glue. Go figure. :)

Post subject: Re: Bond metal to metal or anything else (literally) without welding .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:09 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
That's cool, but I don't think I'd want to permanently have my CPU stuck to the heatsink.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:21 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Pretty much said the same thing at another site I posted this story at, Wallace. Of course, if the heat transfer is as good as they say, you probably wouldn't have to worry about replace the CPU. The problem would come where the heatsink and the fan are too closely connected (since CPU fans go bad more often than you would like). lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:42 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
lylejk wrote:
Pretty much said the same thing at another site I posted this story at, Wallace. Of course, if the heat transfer is as good as they say, you probably wouldn't have to worry about replace the CPU. The problem would come where the heatsink and the fan are too closely connected (since CPU fans go bad more often than you would like). lol

:)

I could see how this glue would have an advantage over Thermal Paste, when you think of how the past performs over time. I've typically been cleaning the past off of my CPU and heatsink, at least once every year and reapplying it. It just doesn't seem practical to have the heatsink permanently attached to the CPU.
It would probably be great for GPU heatsink attachment, for better thermal dispersion, offering grater performance. Most people don't change the processor on a GPU anyway. They just get a different/newer card.