It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need some help re Updates vs Anti Virus program
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:23 am  (#21) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
bilbo9955 wrote:
Quote:
that you do use Malwarebytes instead of Avast.

Be careful, Malwarebytes free version does NOT continuously monitor your system!
Only the paid version does.
The free version is great for doing an occasional scan.

Windows already provides continuous monitoring. Which to some, (me included) believes it to be about as reliable as Avast, or even more so.
However, Windows Defender will not give False Flag Alerts for windows updates.
Nothing is going to provide 100% protection.
Also, when it comes to security software there's an old saying...
you pay for what you get.
It all boils down to the end user's web browsing practices and the proper usage of any security software one might employ.
if you don't need extra features such as, password management, a credit card manager and sandboxed browsing ect. and you're confident in your own ability.
All you really need is baseline protection, which is what Windows Defender and most free software provides anyway.
Safe web browsing practices, combined with the use of Windows Defender's continuous monitoring and Malwarebytes periodic system scans.
Is really all that one needs to ensure that his or her computer remain uncompromised.
Take into consideration how much your personal safety, your computer's safety and your piece of mind means to you.
Then one can determine the kind of protection they want or need and what that price might be, if any.
What I suggest is just that... a suggestion. You can take it or leave it.
Nevertheless, this is just my opinion and we all have our own opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:02 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Looks to me Avast isn't allowing SSL/TLS certificates to update. I'm pretty sure Windows update certificate is up to date.
You might want to try a diffferent Anti-virus.
Here's a list of how they perform, free ones are also listed.
AV Test

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:02 pm  (#23) 
Script Coder

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic ... msg1115734

"It is a false alert due to the nature of the malicious software remover tool"

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:52 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
Norseman143 wrote:
sallyanne wrote:
My OS is Windows 10, 32 bit
I use the free version of avast anti virus
Avast keeps throwing errors most times windows wants to do an update because they are new.
I have lost the option to say if I want them or not and do not know where I can find them any how. (I assume this happened during an update).
Can any one tell me if I should stop updates and if so how?
I am sure I used to at least have the option of which I wanted to download

I have Windows 10 home addition, and have used Avast for over 10 years

I havent had any of your experiences while being updated

Microsoft usually comes out with updates on Tuesdays, but You shouldnt be getting that many updates.
The last one I got was a couple of weeks ago
It sounds to me like its something else, other than Windows update, causing your problem
Can you be a little more specific as to when these errors occur?

Do you have Malwarebytes installed on your computer?
I suggest downloading the FREE version and doing a scan with it

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

It's still happening. I thought I had stopped them but apparently I hadn't.
This is the error I am getting
[ Image ]

After checking his link

You arent the only one having trouble,

Try, turning off Avast, then check for windows updates, make sure you turn it back on before going online.

I am not having any issues. I wonder if its because you have a 32 bit system??

Last edited by Norseman143 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:53 pm  (#25) 
Administrator

RobA wrote:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=153481.msg1115734#msg1115734

"It is a false alert due to the nature of the malicious software remover tool"

-Rob A>

The alert is based on file reputation, which could be an indication of where the downloaded file(s) originated from.
If windows is set to receive updates from other computer, within the Microsoft framework/network of used distributions.
Downloaded files could be coming from all kinds of sources, with very low reputation.
This would be why these files could be flagged as a threat or unsafe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:01 pm  (#26) 
Administrator

Norseman143 wrote:
It sounds to me, We have pretty much the same setup. We both have Windows 10, and are using the Free version of Avast
I have never gotten that message that you posted

Did you try Malwarebytes yet?

Keep in mind Avast was one of the first anti virus programs to come out with a Windows 10 version, last year

Also keep in mind that there are a lot of fake programs that mimic legitimate programs. There are fake Windows scams and yes, Even a fake Avast program

Malwarebytes will look for any fake programs and PUPs that you may have downloaded some free soft ware
Malwarebytes is not an anti virus tool. Its a anti malware program

Scan your system with Malwarebytes

If that doesn't work, I recommend uninstalling Avast, and reinstalling the newest version. Make sure you download the correct version 32 bits or 64 bits system

If Avast is using File Reputation when it scans. It will notice a file sent from my computer to your computer, as a file with very low reputation and flage it as potentially harmful.
This is why how updates are delivered is important.
By default, windows it set to download updates form all over the place and these file have little or no reputation established.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:07 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Norseman143 wrote:
It sounds to me, We have pretty much the same setup. We both have Windows 10, and are using the Free version of Avast
I have never gotten that message that you posted

Did you try Malwarebytes yet?

Keep in mind Avast was one of the first anti virus programs to come out with a Windows 10 version, last year

Also keep in mind that there are a lot of fake programs that mimic legitimate programs. There are fake Windows scams and yes, Even a fake Avast program

Malwarebytes will look for any fake programs and PUPs that you may have downloaded some free soft ware
Malwarebytes is not an anti virus tool. Its a anti malware program

Scan your system with Malwarebytes

If that doesn't work, I recommend uninstalling Avast, and reinstalling the newest version. Make sure you download the correct version 32 bits or 64 bits system

If Avast is using File Reputation when it scans. It will notice a file sent from my computer to your computer, as a file with very low reputation and flage it as potentially harmful.
This is why how updates are delivered is important.
By default, windows it set to download updates form all over the place and these file have little or no reputation established.

I deleted that post after reading that guys link

So why do you suppose Im not having any trouble?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:19 pm  (#28) 
Administrator

Norseman143 wrote:

If you've changed the way updates are delivered to your computer, that would explain why.
If not, then I don't have any explanation for this behavior from Avast.
If files are being downloaded from a computer that's down the street, that would explain why Avast is giving an alert due to file reputation.
On the other hand, if you're downloading files for Microsoft, where thousands of other people have downloaded this same file.
How would Avast see the file as having a low reputation?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:24 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Norseman143 wrote:

If you've changed the way updates are delivered to your computer, that would explain why.

Windows 10 home version doesnt give you that option to change how updates are delivered.

The only difference I can see, is I have a 64 bit system and she has a 32

I wouldnt think that would matter though. I am perplexed :hoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:30 pm  (#30) 
Administrator

Norseman143 wrote:
Wallace wrote:
Norseman143 wrote:

Windows 10 home version doesnt give you that option to change how updates are delivered.

The only difference I can see, is I have a 64 bit system and she has a 32

I wouldnt think that would matter though. I am perplexed :hoh

I've already posted an image of this, but if you go to,
All Settings>Update&Security>Advanced Options...
Attachment:
Change how updates are delivered.PNG
Change how updates are delivered.PNG [ 114.28 KiB | Viewed 1346 times ]

And this...
Attachment:
choose updates.PNG
choose updates.PNG [ 91.65 KiB | Viewed 1346 times ]

Anyone using win home 32 or 64 bit has these same options.
This my be fast, but it can also prompt security software to flag any downloads, based on file reputation as malicious or harmful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:05 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
bilbo9955 wrote:
Quote:
that you do use Malwarebytes instead of Avast.

Be careful, Malwarebytes free version does NOT continuously monitor your system!
Only the paid version does.
The free version is great for doing an occasional scan.

Windows already provides continuous monitoring. Which to some, (me included) believes it to be about as reliable as Avast, or even more so.
However, Windows Defender will not give False Flag Alerts for windows updates.
Nothing is going to provide 100% protection.
Also, when it comes to security software there's an old saying...
you pay for what you get.
It all boils down to the end user's web browsing practices and the proper usage of any security software one might employ.
if you don't need extra features such as, password management, a credit card manager and sandboxed browsing ect. and you're confident in your own ability.
All you really need is baseline protection, which is what Windows Defender and most free software provides anyway.
Safe web browsing practices, combined with the use of Windows Defender's continuous monitoring and Malwarebytes periodic system scans.
Is really all that one needs to ensure that his or her computer remain uncompromised.
Take into consideration how much your personal safety, your computer's safety and your piece of mind means to you.
Then one can determine the kind of protection they want or need and what that price might be, if any.
What I suggest is just that... a suggestion. You can take it or leave it.
Nevertheless, this is just my opinion and we all have our own opinions.

I wasn't trying to attack Windows Defender or you use of it. I was simply trying to point out for anyone reading the thread, that replacing Avast with Malwarebytes is not a one to one exchange. You must make sure that there is another real-time anti-virus program running to on the system when replacing Avast!.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:17 pm  (#32) 
Administrator

bilbo9955 wrote:
I wasn't trying to attack Windows Defender or you use of it. I was simply trying to point out for anyone reading the thread, that replacing Avast with Malwarebytes is not a one to one exchange. You must make sure that there is another real-time anti-virus program running to on the system when replacing Avast!.

I understand.
However,
Avast being what it is, takes over and turns off Windows Defender.
Leaving it as the only means of defense.
I guess one could use Avast, along with Malwarebytes as a combined security measure, but this won't stop Avast from giving out False Alerts against Windows Updates.
There might be a way to change how Avast scans downloaded items, but I don't use Avast and can't say how this might work.

There's a program out there called RogueKiller, that I highly recommend to anyone for scanning to determine if their computer has been compromised in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:38 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

I've already posted an image of this, but if you go to,
All Settings>Update&Security>Advanced Options...
Attachment:
Change how updates are delivered.PNG

And this...
Attachment:
choose updates.PNG

Anyone using win home 32 or 64 bit has these same options.
This my be fast, but it can also prompt security software to flag any downloads, based on file reputation as malicious or harmful.[/align]
[/quote]
I stand corrected sir.
I have never messed with that feature, I guess I never had the need to.

What most of the PC nerd are upset about is, You cant shut it off with the home addition but you can stop the updates if you have the premium version

I have shut off most of the spyware, that comes with 10, but havent messed with the updates feature yet

Kind of ticked off at Windows 10 at the moment, but thats another thread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:51 pm  (#34) 
Administrator

Norseman143 wrote:
I stand corrected sir.
I have never messed with that feature, I guess I never had the need to.

What most of the PC nerd are upset about is, You cant shut it off with the home addition but you can stop the updates if you have the premium version

I have shut off most of the spyware, that comes with 10, but havent messed with the updates feature yet

Kind of ticked off at Windows 10 at the moment, but thats another thread

Looking into the Privacy Settings of windows 10 can reveal a lot of unwanted setting, that are enabled by default.
One way to assist in providing some kind of protection form this "intrusion", would be to install Spybot Anti-Beacon.
Spybot Anti-Beacon is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that are present within Windows 10.
I'm beginning to sound like a commercial. :oops:

For the record...
I would like you guys to know, that I have a lot of knowledge about home computer security.
I wouldn't suggest anything that I haven't already and still do employed myself.
I've been using computer for a while now and can claim that any computer I've ever use, has never been compromised due to a virus or malware of any kind.
I can also claim, that this is not due to the software used to combat this issue, but has more to do with my own safe web browsing practices, combined with the use of available free security software.
What I've been doing for many years, can easily be done by anyone, with only a smidgen of know-how and a tiny bit of knowledge.
I am also not an expert nor a professional in this field.

@Sallyanne,
You can rest assured, that I would never suggest anything to you that I haven't explored myself.
I also would never suggest anything, that would have the potential of causing harm. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:03 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace

Are you aware of the last major update, turned a lot of the privacy settings back on, without the users knowledge?

There was a 3 month debate on BC on how Microsoft is spying on its users.

Even with your privacy settings set for everything off. Windows 10 will still send information back to Microsoft on a regular basis
An example of what happened to me was, I like a program called UMPlayer. It plays Mp4 and videos, pretty much anything
So I went to listen to some music yesterday, and all my Videos were set to open with groove music! a windows player built into Windows 10
So most people would just remove groove music............Wrong! theirs no way to remove it with windows, You have to download a special tool to get rid of it

So with groove music, they collect data on what and when I listen to music and even had information about the songs that I dont care about

I read a lot of PC web sites, and nobody really knows what exactly it is that windows is sending back, even if you have your privacy settings set

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 pm  (#36) 
Administrator

Norseman143 wrote:
Wallace

Are you aware of the last major update, turned a lot of the privacy settings back on, without the users knowledge?

There was a 3 month debate on BC on how Microsoft is spying on its users.

Even with your privacy settings set for everything off. Windows 10 will still send information back to Microsoft on a regular basis
An example of what happened to me was, I like a program called UMPlayer. It plays Mp4 and videos, pretty much anything
So I went to listen to some music yesterday, and all my Videos were set to open with groove music! a windows player built into Windows 10
So most people would just remove groove music............Wrong! theirs no way to remove it with windows, You have to download a special tool to get rid of it

So with groove music, they collect data on what and when I listen to music and even had information about the songs that I dont care about

I read a lot of PC web sites, and nobody really knows what exactly it is that windows is sending back, even if you have your privacy settings set

Think so?
I use MusicBee to play all my music.

You can uninstall most of the built-in apps. Even the ones that don’t normally offer an uninstall option, using Windows PowerShell.
Here's the command for uninstalling Groove Music.

Copy and paste the following command into the PowerShell prompt, press Enter.

Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage

There are also many other commands that will uninstall built-in apps.
No "special tool" required, just a command.
If you don't believe me, do this and then do a search for Groove Music on your system.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:45 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

As I said before; best to just bypass your host OS altogether and virtualize. Of course, they may still be spying on the network connections (i.e, network traffic associated with browser requests made withing your sandbox (VM)). lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:54 pm  (#38) 
Administrator

lylejk wrote:
As I said before; best to just bypass your host OS altogether and virtualize. Of course, they may still be spying on the network connections (i.e, network traffic associated with browser requests made withing your sandbox (VM)). lol

:)

You may be right about that Lyle.
There's so much telemetry involved with win x, that it's nearly impossible to find and disable everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:48 am  (#39) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Rod. whew, nothing to worry about.
@ Wallace I turned it all on and I know you wouldn't steer me wrong ;)
Tried AVG before for a few years but ended up not using it and went to avast from there as an IT guy originally put it on my machine and I can get a free trial of the full version occasionally.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Will have a look at the other programs later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:06 pm  (#40) 
Administrator

sallyanne wrote:
Thanks Rod. whew, nothing to worry about.
@ Wallace I turned it all on and I know you wouldn't steer me wrong ;)
Tried AVG before for a few years but ended up not using it and went to avast from there as an IT guy originally put it on my machine and I can get a free trial of the full version occasionally.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Will have a look at the other programs later.

Okay Sallyanne. :bigthup
Good luck and let us know how it all works out for you.