It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixed Media Paintings
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:32 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Okay so you might know about the acrylic painting I did right....?
If so then you know I'm not a fan of acrylic paint but I did like the shine and texture (and it was cheap kids paint that might account for it being so awful)...WELL! I decided that I would try a few things I've been seeing for a while and put them together...Think of it as college are without cutting and pasting paper and stuff together.

First thing I wanted to try is making a watercolor background first then working on top of it...Kinda hard because the colors in the background will dull the colors you put on top but I did that anyway.
Second thing I ended up trying was putting acrylic paint mixed with other mediums...Kinda like incorperating it someplace so it's not totally abandoned but not something I have to have.
Third is I wanted to work more with colored pencil over marker. And since my markers are sharpies and bic markers that leaves a lot of room for fixing up to improve how things look.

Okey so I'll shut up a little bit now and post the 3 I've made so far...

This one is the first one, the white is acrylic paint...this is what got me started in adding it in to the style I was working with.

This one I wanted to focus on the acrylic without using it for everything. Only the white flowers have acrylic paint.

Just finished this one. For this one I really mixed it up, I used acrylic in a lot of areas for accenting as well as the flowers that I added for height. I used a lot of colored pencil in this as well as some pen and marker.
There is a lot of metallic but you can't see because the picture isn't very good. I was really trying to push the India feel, the flowers are supposed to be all plants from India, ofc the paisley, and the tiger...I made the bg to somewhat represent a jungle but not a detailed jungle.

That's what I go so far. I've been a busy bee this week.

Atm I'm learning to kinda like the acrylic but I still adore my watercolors. :paint
I think as long as I get to keep on what I love and use acrylic as an added thing instead of a focus I'll like it.
Oh and this paper is Canson Mixed Media Paper XL series 98LB/160g. It's in a book so I can keep everything together. :3

Okey then...Enjoy!

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Mixed Media Paintings
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:51 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Very nice :paint s, Keep experimenting. Never know what you may come up with. Good to see you have persevered with the acrylics.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:34 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I like your paintings, Moko. I'm envious because I can't draw or paint.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:35 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Great results Moko. I love it :clap

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:55 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

@moko

I like how you have done your backgrounds in these ones - the texture works well to differentiate foreground from background. I think my favourite among these is the first one because of the details and good balance but they are all nice - acrylic is not that easy to work with. On the other hand it dries so fast (compared to oils) that one get plenty of chances to correct one's work. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:51 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Your mixed media pictures are always interesting, I bet they look even better in person.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:25 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
Very nice :paint s, Keep experimenting. Never know what you may come up with. Good to see you have persevered with the acrylics.

Yah I guess so..I think it really is the paints that's the problem. These paints don't like to cover an area.
:tyspin

Pat625 wrote:
I like your paintings, Moko. I'm envious because I can't draw or paint.

Stop saying you can't! :gaah :gaah

Issabella wrote:
Great results Moko. I love it :clap

:hi5

Griatch wrote:
@moko

I like how you have done your backgrounds in these ones - the texture works well to differentiate foreground from background. I think my favourite among these is the first one because of the details and good balance but they are all nice - acrylic is not that easy to work with. On the other hand it dries so fast (compared to oils) that one get plenty of chances to correct one's work. :)
Griatch

I couldn't probably ever work with oils. XD
My personal favorite is the daisies. :3

2-ton wrote:
Your mixed media pictures are always interesting, I bet they look even better in person.

They do look a lot better in person. The pictures I took are on my 10 year old cell phone...so in other words they look awful. XD

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:36 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I think they look great, your old phone does a great job, much better than my old flip-phone.