It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Venting: had to rebuild my Win10.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:13 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Been having stability issues so finally, I just bit the bullet since the new update's about to get released and I didn't want an unstable OS causing issues. Lost Photoshop and this time I have no desire to re-install it. I've only used it once the whole year so going to see if I really need to re-install this glut of a program. Lost all my other programs too, though (voronoi stippler and such) but eventually I might re-install all of these little programs (but just not in the mood right now). :)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Venting: had to rebuild my Win10.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:58 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Wow, that's to bad Lyle.
Didn't seem to take long to become unstable.
So far I haven't had any issues. Only minor things unrelated to windows.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:10 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

:(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:25 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I have not yet installed win 10 as my printer is not compatible with it. I thought it was supposed to be the most stable program ever. What happened?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:41 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Know how you feel Lylejk, though in my case my laptop just died without warning. Either way it's a pain having to reinstall and remember what you were using. I reinstalled Photoshop as I have a few psd's that need changing to rgb before opening in Gimp. I am also putting Paintshop pro 9 back as I have a few files not converted yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:49 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah; was getting memory crashes just with Virtualbox. I suspected (and it was confirmed) those issues were caused by the harddrive having issues (caches memory via using harddrive). Chkdsk (dos method not win10 method) found many bad sectors. Still, I was putting this off now for over 3 months but only a week away from the big OS update (Win10) so decided I would bite the bullet. GIMP kept all my presets and plugins that mattered (user directory had all the settings and when I installed GIMP 2.8.18 fresh, it found everything and was happy) so I'm pretty happy about that. Installed Office 2013 from Microsoft download with no issue either. My system, pretty much, is like it was prior to the rebuild sans a few Give-away-of-the-day freebies and, of course, Photoshop. Have little desire to re-install it; no need, and, soon, enough, GIMP will have high bit depth ability too. I'll just work around the RAW processing (may give the opensource processors another look now anyway). Still like ACR a lot more that any of the other RAW processors out there. :)

Psalm 109:8