It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Artwork head to head battles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:33 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

"Art-work head to head battle" is just a fancy name for something so simple.

Basically, you're shown two pieces of artwork, and you choose which one you like more and that piece wins the battle and the other one loses.

It is possible to have circular wins, for example artwork A to win against artwork B, B wins against C and C wins against A (I am guessing your mood might change when you're shown different artworks and so this circular wins can happen I don't dare try to prevent this from happening as when you're choosing between 2 pieces, it's up to you to decide which one you prefer).

Then based on number wins minus number of losses, those artworks will get scores. When you view "Top Art" you'll see submitted artworks sorted in descending score order. (I don't really have any artwork so i just have some of my cousin's artwork on there right now).

I just thought it'd a fun way vote on artworks (at least to me it's more fun then giving it a rating from 1 to 10 for example because you don't really know how to rate a 10, what if you rate a 10 then later there's one that's even more better than 10).

You can also submit your own artwork (not the actual work but the image link to the work and add details for image).
Then each image can be facebook liked or commented on (when you're viewing the image in details).

I just think it's a fun way for people to vote on art-works purely based on competition/contrast values without having to worry much about how far/low to rate on a scale.

Let me know what you think.
Page no longer available.

Last edited by trandoductin on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Artwork head to head battles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:35 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

I tried to make it more entertaining by adding sound effects for when you're gaming.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:50 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Interesting idea,
but this kind of thing is difficult to get people to participate in.
Most people might have concern's about copyrights and other such illegal activity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:51 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

:hoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:10 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Don't know about legal/copyright (I'll leave that to Wallace ;) ). What I noted as I went through it was that the "game count" was 176 and counting down... Perhaps levels...?

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:34 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Dalia wrote:
Don't know about legal/copyright (I'll leave that to Wallace ;) ). What I noted as I went through it was that the "game count" was 176 and counting down... Perhaps levels...?

Those are number possible pairs/battles that are available, which are 20 choose 2 (190) right now. as you play the possible pairs/battles go down since you've played them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:02 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

trandoductin wrote:
:hoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I only wish I had time to get into fun stuff like this, but I can barely manage to read all the new posts every day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

2-ton wrote:
I only wish I had time to get into fun stuff like this, but I can barely manage to read all the new posts every day.

:hehe Why are you trying to read all the new posts everyday.. you just have to read more than you post..that's my goal.
there's no way to keep up with every posts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:22 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I like to keep up with whats going on. Sometimes I do have extra time to try out something that looks either interesting or easy once in a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:49 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Added my latest work to the battle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:17 pm  (#12) 
Script Coder

Sasquatch wrote:
Added my latest work to the battle.

Thanks, i see it.
All new addition have score of zero so it's like a new comer into boxing matches with no wins/losses stats, as it's judged more it'll wins/losses stats (at least that's my hope if the site ever gets busier).

@Wallace: I don't think it's against any rules if artist(s) submit their own artwork is it? that's what i had in mind anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:14 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

trandoductin wrote:

@Wallace: I don't think it's against any rules if artist(s) submit their own artwork is it?
that's what i had in mind anyways.

It's all good T. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:20 pm  (#14) 
Script Coder

Wallace wrote:

:yes

@Sasquatch: I have fb commented below your piece stating the fact that you're a gimpchat.com member and link back to your post (just in case people want to contact you about your artwork, you never know right and it would be really sad if someone is interested in your work but unable to get to you). Page no longer available

Last edited by trandoductin on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:57 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

trandoductin wrote:
Wallace wrote:

:yes

@Sasquatch: I have fb commented below your piece stating the fact that you're a gimpchat.com member and link back to your post (just in case people want to contact you about your artwork, you never know right and it would be really sad if someone is interested in your work but unable to get to you). Sorry, Link is no longer available.

Eek! Not sure I'd be ready to do something on request. Not that I'm worried about throngs of people flooding my inbox with requests for my amazing talent. :rofl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:33 pm  (#16) 
Script Coder

You never know, someone might fall in love with that piece.
Like my cousin was able to sell a print (a large print that costed $500 USD to print but a print, not original) of the monk on mountain top (Page no longer available) for $1500 USD so she made $1000 USD.

By the way, I facebook shared your piece because it is one of the allowable feature on the site and because it's the very first submission to my site so i am excited, and my cousin liked it. She does analog art so she doesn't have much clue when it comes to digital art at least not yet...she refuses to stare at the computer for too long because she has thick glasses.

Last edited by trandoductin on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:33 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Coincidentally, my wife is quite a talented painter. She encourages my digital work.

I sure wouldn't mind if somebody wanted to give me a few hundred dollars for one of my pieces. I guess we'll see if that ever happens. But I won't be planning my retirement around the idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:40 pm  (#18) 
Script Coder

I have decided why not include photographs in battles as well (I didn't really think about excluding them, just that when i thought of battles i only focuses on my cousins analog art and photos didn't come to mind till now).
So here's my first entry on my own site :D
Page no longer available.