It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a new box
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:18 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This is semi-topical but it doesn't really fit any of the on-topic forums, so I posted it here.

I'm planning to get more serious about this digital art hobby. I'm trying to install 3D software to augment my abilities and I'm looking at tablets so I have more flexibility. But the main obstacle to growth at the moment is the computer itself. I'm doing all this on a Compaq Presario laptop. That's fine for pretty much everything I do at the moment. But if I want to start working on larger pieces or working with animation a laptop just isn't going to cut it. So I thought I'd get some ideas from others who have built machines to handle the task.

I have built a computer before. It isn't really much more complicated than building Legos, honestly. I guess my main question is, "how much do I need?" I'm not as rich as I look so I can't say money is no object. Would the video card be the place to go big and then skimp other places? How big a drive is enough? I'd definitely be running Linux too. So that's a factor.

Anyhow, I'm just interested in finding out what others have done. Or what would you change about the box you currently run even if you haven't built it yourself?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Building a new box
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:50 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
8 to 16 GB's ram, good GPU, a quad core CPU, an SSD for your os and at least 1TB or more HDD.

I have an older quad core CPU,
the entire desktop is based on a Dell 745 mini tower.
I also added a 4 channel fan controller where the floppy diver was.

These are my system specs.
As you can see...
I have a lot of storage.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 35 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB DDR2
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0KW626 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
ASUS MG279Q (2560x1440@144Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX (Gigabyte) 31 °C
Storage
120GB Intel (SSD) SSDSC2KW120H6X1 (SATA III) 31 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
931GB HITACHI HUA721010KLA330 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
14GB USB Device (USB)
3GB Kingston DT 100 G2 USB Device (USB)
3GB Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device (USB)
3GB Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device (USB)
14GB USB Device (USB)
14GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L ATA Device
PBDS CDRWDVD DH-48C2S ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:31 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

You have enough room to store the accumulated knowledge of all humanity in that box. :) Very nice setup. I bet it blazes through scripts and filters.

The specs you recommend seem very close to the box I built before. So I guess I had it right. All I have to do is build it cheaper this time. I'll start gathering parts as soon as I figure out where to put it.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:16 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Sasquatch wrote:
You have enough room to store the accumulated knowledge of all humanity in that box. :) Very nice setup. I bet it blazes through scripts and filters.

The specs you recommend seem very close to the box I built before. So I guess I had it right. All I have to do is build it cheaper this time. I'll start gathering parts as soon as I figure out where to put it.

Thanks.

It's a pretty good PC,
given that the cpu is nearly 10 years old and with only 8GB's of DDR2 ram.
I'm limited by the motherboard,
as to the type and amount of ram I can use.
As well as the CPU that can be installed.
I basically replaced every part except the motherboard.
Also added a lot of stuff to it.
I basically put about $300 or so into a $100 PC maxing it out.

I'm also looking to building a new machine.
I need to get a new Case, Motherboard, Ram and CPU.
Then I can transplant all the other parts into it.

It would be nice to be using DDR4 and also an i5 or i7 CPU.

Anyway,
good luck with this.
:bigthup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:25 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe I should check the classifieds for an out of date computer I could update. That could be cheaper than buying all new. And even an old desktop should be faster than my laptop. So I'd still be better off than I am now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:41 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...Maybe I should check the classifieds for an out of date computer I could update...

Could be false economy. You will end up replacing everything except maybe the PSU and the DVD. Even then DVD drives are dirt cheap and a good PSU is a real investment.

Just decomissioned (scrapped) my video editing desktop, if you were not on the other side of the Atlantic you could have had that. ;)

Been using linux for the last 12 years, only thought there, is if you go for a high-end video card make sure the distro kernel supports it. If your proposed distro has a forum, ask the question there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:23 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Sasquatch wrote:
Maybe I should check the classifieds for an out of date computer I could update. That could be cheaper than buying all new. And even an old desktop should be faster than my laptop. So I'd still be better off than I am now.
Check your local independent computer repair shops. That's where I get most of my deals on quality used parts and base systems to build on.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:45 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Could be false economy. You will end up replacing everything except maybe the PSU and the DVD. Even then DVD drives are dirt cheap and a good PSU is a real investment.
Definitely something to watch for. I have a "scrap" computer that became scrap when the PSU misbehaved. So I won't be cutting corners on that this time around.

Odinbc wrote:
Check your local independent computer repair shops. That's where I get most of my deals on quality used parts and base systems to build on.

Great idea. I'll look around today. There's a shop very close, but it isn't highly recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:14 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Sasquatch wrote:
rich2005 wrote:
Definitely something to watch for. I have a "scrap" computer that became scrap when the PSU misbehaved. So I won't be cutting corners on that this time around.

Odinbc wrote:

Great idea. I'll look around today. There's a shop very close, but it isn't highly recommended.
You live in a populous region, I'm sure you can find a relevant computer group's web site with recommendations in your area.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:36 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Kinda fun looking back at this thread now. I actually ended up buying a Craigslist Special with very similar specs to what Wallace listed above; a Q6700 with an outdated Asus board, 8 gigs of RAM, and a Geforce 550 GPU. I had to "upgrade" the GPU pretty quickly with an RX 460. The board was more recently updated and the Q6700 got replaced with a Q9650. I've also replaced the PSU. So I basically paid the guy $100 for the case since everything inside is new.

I have another case sitting on the table waiting for the full build I planned before. But I'm still broke and parts aren't getting cheaper. My wife's car will be paid off soon, that should free up the cash I need to finally build a proper rig.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 am  (#11) 
Administrator

Sasquatch wrote:
Kinda fun looking back at this thread now. I actually ended up buying a Craigslist Special with very similar specs to what Wallace listed above; a Q6700 with an outdated Asus board, 8 gigs of RAM, and a Geforce 550 GPU. I had to "upgrade" the GPU pretty quickly with an RX 460. The board was more recently updated and the Q6700 got replaced with a Q9650. I've also replaced the PSU. So I basically paid the guy $100 for the case since everything inside is new.

I have another case sitting on the table waiting for the full build I planned before. But I'm still broke and parts aren't getting cheaper. My wife's car will be paid off soon, that should free up the cash I need to finally build a proper rig.

I've build the PC I use now,
back in December of 2016.
This machine has been upgraded a few times since then.
My latest upgrade,
was the purchase and installation of an Intel core i7-7700K.
I also added another 16GB's of RAM to the system.
Making a total of 32GB's.
The graphics card has also been upgraded,
back in April of 2017.
For a GTX 1050 Ti to a GTX 1080 Ti.
I also got rid of all but one of my maniacal HDD and installed MVMe and SSD's instead.
I don't think I'll need to make anymore upgrades,
for quite a while.

I put this card together,
that shows my system specs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:59 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Nice! I've decided to go with a Threadripper build. A bit more money up front but a ton of room for growth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:06 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

Sasquatch wrote:
Nice! I've decided to go with a Threadripper build. A bit more money up front but a ton of room for growth.

:coolthup
That's a beast! of a processor,
that runs best with fast RAM.

I've heard,
that Threadripper can be difficult to screw down into it's socket.
I Also heard,
that there is a motherboard chip-sets,
which is compatible,
but don't play nice.
However,
I can't remember what chip-set it was.
It was a Gigabyte motherboard,
so perhaps avoid that brand of motherboard.
Just giving a heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:20 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Going with the Asrock Taichi board. I think you may be thinking of the Ryzen line which has two chipsets available. As far as I recall Threadripper only has the X399 chipset. But I'm sure there are still compatibility issues, especially at the lower end of the price spectrum. With just the board and CPU costing about $650, for an entry-level first gen CPU, it is going to be a minute yet before I can pull the trigger. But it's the logical step for someone who wants to grow into more involved creative ventures.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 pm  (#15) 
Administrator

Sasquatch wrote:
Going with the Asrock Taichi board. I think you may be thinking of the Ryzen line which has two chipsets available. As far as I recall Threadripper only has the X399 chipset. But I'm sure there are still compatibility issues, especially at the lower end of the price spectrum. With just the board and CPU costing about $650, for an entry-level first gen CPU, it is going to be a minute yet before I can pull the trigger. But it's the logical step for someone who wants to grow into more involved creative ventures.

Yes, you are correct.
It is Ryzen.

Good luck and be sure to let us all know about your progress.