It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone else interested in seeing dls/views or replies/views rate?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:03 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

Click on the "here" in my signature to get a feel of what i am talking about

I just thought it'd be interesting if this rate was calculated and shown on the site

Of course dls/views will just be shown next to the file that currently shows number of downloads right now.

But the replies/views rate could be shown as like an extra column or something when you're viewing topics.

These numbers will reveal to people which topics are has the most interested or has most interactions.
I think it might even bring in new members as random internet browsers will see these numbers too and might browse around more looking for high rates to see what's so interesting.
An option/link could show/sort these topics from most interacted with downward...

What it might look like.

As you can see from the above image, "TexturizeByColourArea" is a very interesting topic clocking in at 12.2%.

What do you all think?

Last edited by trandoductin on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else interested in seeing dls/views or replies/views rate?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:41 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Looks interesting Trandoductin :). Does the percentage number cover every single thread on this site?

Post subject: Re: Anyone else interested in seeing dls/views or replies/views rate?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:45 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

I just added that as a preview if whoever can change this site can do it.
I would assume it would cover all threads on site since right now they show views and replies for all threads.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:29 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

I am so obsessed with these percentages.
I wrote a php page to show live percentages of what gimpchat.com shows
The page doesn't function it just shows you percentages (replies/views column) to let you have a feel of what that would be like.
You can view the page here --> Page no longer available

Last edited by trandoductin on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:57 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

I added a big banner on the page to notify people that it isn't gimpchat.com so it's not misleading as to why links are broken on there which might make people think that gimpchat.com is broken.
It's just a live feed of numbers for you to get a feel of what gimpchat.com might look like if this change is added...
Man...i am so crazy with percentages. :hehe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:59 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

TexturizeByColourArea is still the most interesting topic ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:04 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I like your idea, Tin
unfortunately this site is not subject to frequent updates, but...who knows?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:15 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

trandoductin wrote:
I just thought it'd be interesting if this rate was calculated and shown on the site...
I cannot find this feature in the phpBB docs? I believe it would be a custom extension and I didn't find one of those in the extension database.
dinasset wrote:
I like your idea, Tin
unfortunately this site is not subject to frequent updates, but...who knows?
Which updates?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:34 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

Odinbc wrote:
I cannot find this feature in the phpBB docs? I believe it would be a custom extension and I didn't find one of those in the extension database.

it's just a php page, it would easy to add i think since the numbers views/replies are already present.
I didn't know it was some phpBB thingy. I thought the site was built customed from scratch..
if you say that phpBB doesn't have it then... it means if this is added, we'd be different from all other phpBB sites...unique it'll set us apart even better. :hehe

Last edited by trandoductin on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:36 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Now if you follow my signature and click on the "here" you see the overlay, and I made some links on there work with this new percentage column.
For example you can click on "View active topics" and it would show this extra column.
From there you can click on page 1,2,3, or 4 and all the other page links like 1 to 40 would show up as well...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:18 pm  (#11) 
Script Coder

just for fun i added the "About [time interval] ago" to the "Last Posted" Column on my overlay page.
It only works on the home page, if you click other pages like page 1 2 3 or 4 of "View active topic" it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:56 pm  (#12) 
Script Coder

Added the extra column that shows replies/views percentage is as easy as i thought it would be
now that I created a a forum of my own called GIMP LEARN
The only member on there right now is me..yeah just trandoductin and admin hehehe
But i got the TimeAgo date format partially working (it works on forums link and while you're viewing a forum but it doesn't work when you're viewing "Active Topics")
Anyways, any script i write from now on, I'll share on gimpchat.com and i'll also post it to my own forum as well just for kicks.