It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP's Default Patterns put to use
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:36 am  (#1) 
Script Coder

I just let this plug-in randomly insert layers, fill it with random pattern from GIMP's patterns, randomly shear it and then move it to a location that is also randomly shifted, try to layer it like as if they were feathers.
Do you like it?
Would you wear this hoodie?
I totally would if it didn't cost so much.

Give me the power to do this with plug-in and sample file

Last edited by trandoductin on Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP's Default Patterns put to use
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:26 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Well it doesn't cost that much, If I could sell more gigs I can afford it. just no one is buying my gig right now :( maybe because I am overcharging I don't think I am since automation saves clients so much time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:45 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

TinT: I've spent some years now collecting and creating patterns and I feel I'm really ready for this plugin to come into my life. But, umm, where could I find it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:17 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

It's on my computer right now but it's not all that friendly, and there's a specific path that I do currently.
I'll add some stuff and then release it in this thread and will explain what I do.

UPDATE:
1. You can play with the code to make it do stuff specifically look for "customset" variable.
But here's what I have, I have a file opened that has bottom layer as my background, it has shadows dropped because I wanted shadows you don't have to
The image is (1024+100) square 100px is room for the shadow that's already dropped.
Then on top of that background layer I have layers I use for threads like sewn look, that's just specific to my case.
But plug-in will basically copy the layer that you run it on (so have the bottom most layer active when run plug-in). It'll then fill each copy with a random pattern which are controlled by customset variable which is an array/list of indexes pointing to the patterns you want.
Then it'll pick a random layer from your image (ignoring the bottommost layer since that's the background layer that we're filling with).
The below image is included in the zip along with the plug-in .py file.

2. Pick the background layer (bottommost), run plug-in on that (I know it says Sheared Brushes instead of Patterns but because before this version I was playing with brushes (which code is present but commented out in the plugin).

3. Changing settings as needed. You should change the first 2 settings to your desired size (should be larger than your original image that you're working from since we're tiling them into a larger piece). The other settings can be played with but are okay for the dimensions of example files I am running. Like min and max sheared are in pixels which can be changed if you want to scale down your original to have a smaller pattern. If it was me I would just run it as is then when it's done, you can scale down the finished pattern.

Here's a teaser using reds and white patterns:

Attachments:
File comment: Original .xcf to be used to run plug-in on to create pattern that uses all the patterns.
You can run subset by changing the "customset" variable and commenting out the part that overrides with all patterns for "customset" as you can see I have 2 lines where I set customset commented with #reds and #red and whites

credit goes to neurolurker for asking for this plug-in.

If you're using it for personal use (or not making money) then it's fine. But if you end up making money for designs created from this plugin for sale like I do. I highly recommend $0.25/sale go to GIMP Foundation since it's volunteer (and $0.01/sale goes to me since this is volunteer too) Just save it up until it's above $100 or something don't start sending micro transactions.

Sheared Patterns To Be Shared.zip [157.95 KiB]
Downloaded 33 times

Last edited by trandoductin on Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:45 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:02 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

neurolurker wrote:
Thanks!

Glad to share.
Just updated the previous post and linked post #1 to it.
Let me know if it works for you.
I don't expect you have questions about setting your own patterns as I tried to explain but if you do, don't hesitate to ask.
What I do is I shrink or grow the front end windows so that it's showing 10 patterns per row so I can easily count which patterns I want
and then just subtract 1 to get the index.
So If I wanted 2nd and 5th patterns only
I would set
customset = [1,4]
and comment out the override part that sets all customset to be all patterns.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:52 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

Just wanted to share this customizable based on 2 pattern combinations (right now possible 32 because I didn't do red torso part..yet).
https://yourquietfriend.blogspot.com/20 ... icker.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:31 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Great to see your creative juices flowing again Tim. Like a torrent of originality!
:paint :coolthup

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:20 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

Thanks skinnyhouse!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:58 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

TinT, I'm probably not using your plugin as you intended. I saw it as a way of randomly combining patterns into abstract images. I had no practical goal in mind except working with GIMP itself. In GIMP, it seems to me, every decision leads to another decision. Every action leads to another action. I literally start with a blank screen and rarely have any idea what might be on the screen in the next few minutes.

In a way this disorganizing plug-in is the opposite of the first plug-in you adapted for me some years ago that organizes a palette from a grid of specified locations in an existing image. Many of the patterns I now use in GIMP were created, were made possible, with that plug-in you made.

Thanks always for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:03 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
One decision leads to another.png
One decision leads to another.png [ 957.72 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:46 am  (#12) 
Script Coder

While it seems disorganized, it has rules it follows so that it's random within a range for shears.
As far as placement, it tries to place where it would be but random shift by say a whole amount x and y so that you don't see rows or columns but it' still evenly distributed. That was my goal to simulate how bird feathers are placed.
I am glad other plug-ins (which I don't remember at all) works for you :D