It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm  (#1) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
September 11th, 2001

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Remember...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:11 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

We had a movie here last night about United 93 and I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I saw the date.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hard to believe it's now been 16 years, Wallace. I remember exactly were I was when this happened. I was at the gym (before starting work; joined a gym and only went to it 3 times for $350/year (paid up front; got a t-shirt. Before I had to retire that t-shirt I use to tell folk I paid $350 for it; lol). While walking on the threadmill, they announced this. Everyone was in awe and in shock. Crazy times then; even more so now.

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:41 am  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
lylejk wrote:
Hard to believe it's now been 16 years, Wallace. I remember exactly were I was when this happened. I was at the gym (before starting work; joined a gym and only went to it 3 times for $350/year (paid up front; got a t-shirt. Before I had to retire that t-shirt I use to tell folk I paid $350 for it; lol). While walking on the threadmill, they announced this. Everyone was in awe and in shock. Crazy times then; even more so now.

I was at work, just across the East River in Queens.
That's about a 20 minute drive to Ground Zero.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Wallace wrote:
lylejk wrote:

I was at work, just across the East River in Queens.
That's about a 20 minute drive to Ground Zero.

Even though I am on the other side of the world I remember too. When it came on TV. I was in another room, on the computer - didn't take much notice at first as it is commonplace in TV shows. Soon was attracted to the TV when I realised it wasn't a show.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:28 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, I remember very well. Was on my way to computer shop from work that day, with a bicycle. The plan was to purchase GeForce 2 MX200 for the PC, so I could finally get to play Max Payne on PC. It had been released about 2 months earlier and I was super excited.
As sad as the event is, this is rather comical. When I was roaming in the shop and looking for the products, there was a desktop and small tube monitor on one side table and I glimpsed an image of plane hitting a tower.
What I didn't get, was that it was some news page and real. Internet was quite slow in 2001 as you know.
On the counter, after paying and about to leave the shop, the seller pointed at the monitor and asked me if I saw what was going on. I was like yeah yeah, but still did not know what it was about. I was in a great rush to switch over to bullet time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
USA_1_50percent.png
USA_1_50percent.png [ 3.56 MiB | Viewed 1854 times ]

Image:Pixabay
Text: Lincoln

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I will never forget that day. I was at work welding and our supervisor approached us and told us a plane flew into one of the towers. We didn't at that time know it was terrorists. Then a few minutes later he said another plane hit the other tower. He told us they think its terrorists attacking. Soon after he told us those dirty !@#$%^& just flew one into the Pentagon. We were all asked to go into the union meeting hall and watch on the tv there. We all sat and watched in horror as everything played out. Their were a lot of tears and prayers in that room of 467 people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I was usually at work but that day I was home and my sister in law called to tell me to get the TV on. She knew that I usually did not watch early morning tv shows. We were very worried as our nephew and niece were living in New York and worked near there. We were finally able to contact our nephew. He was on a subway that was to go through the area but it was stopped just before the towers came down. He had time to get out of harm's way. Luckily, our niece was not in that area on that day. I will never understand people that will die just to harm or kill others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I was watching my grandkids and had the morning news show on. I can remember watching Tom Brokaw talking about the first plane as the big screen behind him was showing the second plane coming in and hitting the tower, and he was unaware of it. People in the newsroom must have been going nuts as he soon turned around and saw it. I was glued to the TV all day.