It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Book Review ("steps to" by Gregory Bateson)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:16 pm  (#1) 

Hello,

I asked for help with one of my GIMP issues and as I plan to become more engaged in Linux community- I wanted to throw in some perspective to the ridiculous language I catch myself using.

"Batesonian," is a rough term for a person who follows the ideas of Gregory Bateson; his first wife was Margaret Mead (the anthropologist). The writer had a meticulous and narrow means of extending the length of reasoning and logic in a less constricted world. Much of his work was compiled in relation to agrestic communities/ "other-world" cultures and people with mental illnesses.

Personally, I have found his work quite transformative. However, the problems he brings to scope never seemed apparent, or soluble, until I started to learn how to code. He is, in fact, one of the originators of "systems-theory."

Do any of you agree on this level? I've bookmarked other topics, whimsically, in the past. "The Buckingham Pie Theorem" being the most noticeable. They say that psychology is a very important factor in skills such as Day Trading, so I think that might be where I have benefitted, along with the books in Game Theory (Von Neumann) , Stochastics (Iannis Xenakis) and Statistics (Library of Congress) which came sometime after!

I do not have any authority in computer science. Still, I like to share moments where I get a jump start and that is precisely what "systems-theory," is known for (e.g. Elementary Education and low-income schools). I enrolled in student observation in these settings!

I wish everyone luck on their upcoming stays and rebounds. If it helps, I recommend "Steps to An Ecology of Mind," by Gregory Bateson, or "The Frog and the Princess" by Bandler and Grinder if one is looking for something more contentious.

Prost!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Book Review ("steps to" by Gregory Bateson)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:45 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I used to print hard-cover books for a company that concentrated on short-runs (a few hundred or less), usually establishments needing fresh stock of various text-books etc, there were very many titles on Stochastic 'this that and the other' I noticed, along with Heuristics and the like.. so I'm sure there's plenty out there for you to get your head 'round :)
I'm providing a YT link to some nice music, the only reason I specifically chose this is because of the album cover and who appears on it. Anyway have fun with GIMP and whatever else you're doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBF9aZkum8