It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video Editors?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hey everyone! I'm wondering what free video editors are good but don't take up a lot of RAM on my laptop. My laptop has 12GB of RAM and I was going to download DaVinci Resolve but apparently it gobbles up a lot of RAM .. 16GB, that I don't have. Now I'm leaning towards HitFilm Express uses 4GB of RAM though 8 or more is recommended. I won't probably be doing 4k videos since 2GB or more is recommended. I won't be using Sony Vegas seems to be incompatible with Windows 10. Any recommendations are welcome.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Video Editors?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:12 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I don't use Windows anymore, only Linux. HitFilm is more of a video compositor than editor. Why can't you use Vegas? I'm pretty sure I used Vegas 10 in Win10 back in the day. You can always use Windows Movie Maker. I never used it, so can't help. I would recommend Aviutl, but it's not very user friendly. Perhaps someone running Windows will chime in...

All my Video editors are free/open source and run in Linux or under Wine. There is very little I can't do with my free tools.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:15 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
mackenzieh wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm wondering what free video editors are good but don't take up a lot of RAM on my laptop. My laptop has 12GB of RAM and I was going to download DaVinci Resolve but apparently it gobbles up a lot of RAM .. 16GB, that I don't have. Now I'm leaning towards HitFilm Express uses 4GB of RAM though 8 or more is recommended. I won't probably be doing 4k videos since 2GB or more is recommended. I won't be using Sony Vegas seems to be incompatible with Windows 10. Any recommendations are welcome.

I use a program called Shotcut.
It's free and not very hard to use.
There are also a lot of tutorials on youtube,
that you can watch.
I made the 2017 Gimp Chat Christmas video using Shotcut.
I had never used this software before and I was able to put together the Christmas video.

https://shotcut.org/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:21 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I've tested ShotCut also. It runs in Linux, but I never tested it in Windows. It is a very simple video editor with limited functions, but it works. It uses ffmpeg for importing and exporting, so lot's of options.

I mostly us Kdenlive, it's more advanced. I believe they have a Windows version, but I never tested it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Contary to popular belief, you do not need a really powerful computer for video editing. Although you might need one for the software. Other than that the difference is speed.

Software:
One of my friends dumped Ad*be Premiere for Vegas and does editing on that, very happy with it. Does use Windows 10.

Although I use linux, There are Windows versions of these:

Openshot: https://www.openshot.org/ Penty of how-to's on their site. The usual cut / join video. Can take a graphic and render as video. Transitions, picture-in-picture all the usual.

Avidemux: A simple Non-linear editor (NLE) http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ Cut and join, add audio some simple filters. This is the one I use for youtube because it is quick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

12GB ram and you're concerned? My computer does not support more than 4GB haha.
OpenShot is easy to use, and works well on Linux.
Tried it on Windows too, but my video editing needs are so simple that I will rely on VirtualDub till the day I die.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I have Windows 10 and use video editing very occasionally - for family events etc.

I used the free VSDC Video editor in the past - now currently at 5.8.7 - last time I used it, it was at v. 3.5 something. I had to untick bundled software on this earlier download - but this time there was nothing else with it (good news).

Seemed to give good results and had a wide range of options. I have downloaded the latest version but not had chance to use it yet.

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Stitcher v.0.3
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
I don't use Windows anymore, only Linux. HitFilm is more of a video compositor than editor. Why can't you use Vegas? I'm pretty sure I used Vegas 10 in Win10 back in the day. You can always use Windows Movie Maker. I never used it, so can't help. I would recommend Aviutl, but it's not very user friendly. Perhaps someone running Windows will chime in...

All my Video editors are free/open source and run in Linux or under Wine. There is very little I can't do with my free tools.

I used Movie Maker back when I had XP. Never used it on Windows 7 and for Windows 10, it isn't supported anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Contary to popular belief, you do not need a really powerful computer for video editing. Although you might need one for the software. Other than that the difference is speed.

Software:
One of my friends dumped Ad*be Premiere for Vegas and does editing on that, very happy with it. Does use Windows 10.

Although I use linux, There are Windows versions of these:

Openshot: https://www.openshot.org/ Penty of how-to's on their site. The usual cut / join video. Can take a graphic and render as video. Transitions, picture-in-picture all the usual.

Avidemux: A simple Non-linear editor (NLE) http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ Cut and join, add audio some simple filters. This is the one I use for youtube because it is quick.

I like Sony Vegas and I would use it execpt, I have versions Movie Studio 11/Movie Studio 13.0 and according to their box directions, Windows 10 isn't supported. I'm not about to pay $50 for Movie Studio 15. That's why I want to make the switch to an open source or free software like HitFilm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:28 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

mackenzieh wrote:
racer-x wrote:

I used Movie Maker back when I had XP. Never used it on Windows 7 and for Windows 10, it isn't supported anymore.

Microsoft claims that it's not supported,
but if you can find it,
it will still run on windows 10.
Microsoft has stopped offering it as a download.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:39 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
racer-x wrote:

Microsoft claims that it's not supported,
but if you can find it,
it will still run on windows 10.
Microsoft has stopped offering it as a download.

I searched for movie maker on my laptop and it didn't come up. I hadn't planned on using movie maker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm  (#12) 
Administrator

mackenzieh wrote:
I searched for movie maker on my laptop and it didn't come up.
I hadn't planned on using movie maker.

Windows Movie Maker is out there somewhere,
on the world wide web.
You just have to find it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
I searched for movie maker on my laptop and it didn't come up.
I hadn't planned on using movie maker.

Windows Movie Maker is out there somewhere,
on the world wide web.
You just have to find it.

I know it's out there, I just don't plan on using it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 pm  (#14) 
Administrator

mackenzieh wrote:

Oh, okay,
never mind.

:oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

Oh, okay,
never mind.

:oops:

It's okay. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 pm  (#16) 
Administrator

mackenzieh wrote:
It's okay. :)

. :bigthup .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 am  (#17) 
Former Member

Blender is no doubt the best and closest free alternative to After Effects on the market today. It does take awhile to learn cause it's not your traditional non-linear video editor but it can produce some amazing effects if used effectively. I use it myself.

Another good free advanced video editor next in line would be Natron. Both are cross-platform.

Back when I used to use Windows another video editor I used was called Wax 2.0 which has some advanced features as well which may come in handy for you. (If you're not running Windows you can still run Wax 2.0 through WINE on Linux or Mac)

Here's a short list of some other video editors I've used that are effective Lightworks, Cinelerra (formerly called CineFx), Avidemux, Kdenlive, Shotcut and OpenShot.

There are many others out there but this is a good list to start off with. I use Blender, Animatron and Camtasia Studio (which is the only commercial application I've mentioned on this list) for most of my work now but I do mostly 2d animation.

Anyway, hope you find the app you're looking for. Start digging in and giving these a try to find which one works best for you :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

HitFilm is pretty good. I've used the free version 2 a few years back in Windows. It's a video compositor similar to After Effects. I prefer Aviutl however. It can do the same things and a lot more. Best of all, I can run it in Linux under Wine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:50 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I've been looking around at other editors that have been recommended in this post. Has anyone heard of VSDC video editor?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

I've heard of it, but never used it. I assume it's an entry level video editor and therefore is limited in functions. That's my guess anyway...