It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Be the Gimp Chat Lucia!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:14 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal proudly presents: Image
Gimp Chat Lucia Quiz 2019

Who will get the honour of being our Gimp Chat Lucia 2019? YOU may have a chance at the coveted crown of candles, just join the competition!

The St Lucia celebrations here in Sweden involve a person dressing up as the Lucia, in a white gown with a red ribbon belt and – glory of glories – a crown with burning candles in it. Lucia is followed by maids (tärnor) and starboys (stjärngossar) holding candles and/or big stars. Then you may get some gingerbread figures and the occasional gnome (tomte). Together the procession lights up the dull December darkness, sing lovely songs and brighten people's lives immensely. Lucia is of course the most important figure of the procession and that means Swedes have been prepared to fight and give their all for the title.

Now I offer you all the chance to be our Lucia this year! You won't have to sing, or bake traditional Swedish buns, or even have long blonde hair – all you have to do is give the best answers to the questions in this quiz. Piece of cake! Then you need to attach an image of a face representing yourself (photo, painted, collage – just as long as it's a face, and it represents you) so I can put you in the correct place in the Lucia procession.

1. Let's start it simple. Is the name of the officia Gimp mascot Wilbur or Wilber?

2. The Gimp Chat tutorial index is sadly not updated regularly anymore, due to lack of volunteers for the job. But who was the GC hero who used to do it?

3. Swedes have a special treat connected with Advent and Christmas but more than anything with the St Lucia day. Can you name that treat, in Swedish or in English?

4. If you paint a cat using only the hex colour 888888, what colour is your cat? (1-2 bonus points possible for very clever answers)

5. How many (forum) smilies are the maximum number allowed in a Gimp Chat post and...

6. (for 3 points) … how come we have that particuar number? The answer is in an old GC thread somewhere.

If you want that beautiful crown of candles, please give your answers in a post with spoiler text and the face image attached. St Lucia day is tomorrow, but I will wait til Sunday to crown the Lucia, so no stress. Just join and have fun :)!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Be the Gimp Chat Lucia!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:36 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
The St Lucia celebrations here in Sweden..

...and here in Finland my neighbor, it's celebrated for some reason exactly the same way as in Sweden.
Oh mine, Friday 13th. What could go wrong? Once it was raining heavily, Lucia didn't look so nice with all the candle wax over her face :hehe
1. Wilber
2. OdinBC?
3. Jag tycker om bullar!
4. Grey
5. 10?
6. Didn't find that info. And I'm busy with dollface tut.

My cat shall represents me, btw she's got a swedish name that originate's from "peace" and is the nickname of one Abba member.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:20 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Attachment:
wallace_purple_avater_w_hat_only.png
wallace_purple_avater_w_hat_only.png [ 86.19 KiB | Viewed 4964 times ]

Here's my attempt.

1. Wilber :yes

2. That GC hero is none other than.
The Vancouver Bear
Odinbc! :bigthup

3. Saffron Bun, or something like that? :hehe

4.Taupe Gray
The word taupe derives from the French noun meaning "mole".
The name originally referred only to the average color of the French mole,
but back in the 1940s,
its usage expanded to a wider range of grays. :smiley2

5. The maximum number of smilies allowed on GC is 14. :rocknod

6. The amount of smilies allowed on GC is set by the admin.
(Why it's 14 I haven't a clue and I did try and research this.) :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:01 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

GC Lucia quiz - correct answers

We now have a GC Lucia, who deserves to be ceremoniously crowned in a separate post. But in the meantime, here are the correct answers to the quiz!

1. It's Wilber, with an e. I keep forgetting this and call him Wilbur, but it's about time I learned!
2. OdinBC, may he live long and prosper, created and updated our tutorial index.
3. Saffron buns!! Not just any buns. SAFFRON buns. Especially of the type called "lussekatter" ("Lucy-cats"). Here on the Swedish west coast you sometimes get them without saffron, but that's an abomination you don't find anywhere else in the country, so it doesn't count.
4. Did you see what I did with this question? Of course, if you paint a cat in #888888, you could say the cat is grey. The more knowledgeable (worth 1 bonus point) answer would be to get a specific name for that grey shade in some colour system like Pantone. But the most awesome answer would be something like: "But AnMal, I don't even have a cat!" or "My cat is a fine ginger tabby". Answers like that are worth 2 bonus points.
5. We are allowed 14 smilies in our posts on GC. That may seem an odd number to some...
6. ... but there is a history behind it. Someone (well, me, to be quite honest) got a bit enthusiastic in a thread with lots of pretty things in it and you can red the story inposts 21 to 28 in that thread. GnuTux has a fine sense of humour :). I should perhaps apologise for this queston. I swear i only had to search for '14 smilies' and the right thread and posts came early in the search results, but today I tried the same search and had to go down to page 5 of search results. Not my intention to give you all that trouble, so sorry if you searched in vain!

Nidhogg: Frida is a very nice looking cat, grey tabby cats are lovely. However, it makes it hard for me to know if you were clever or not in question 4 :hehe Didn't think that far when I wrote the question! I'm going to assume you were clever and give you 3 points for that question, because it won'tmatter to the result anyway - don't you have saffron in your lussebullar in Finland? Oh, and I remember it took three hours to get all the wax drips out of my hair once after a lucia procession!

Wallace: Well done! You even got the saffron bun right. I'm surprised that was you and not Nidhogg, my Nordic brother. This means you get to wear the crown, so stay tuned!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:35 am  (#5) 
Administrator

AnMal wrote:
GC Lucia quiz - correct answers

We now have a GC Lucia, who deserves to be ceremoniously crowned in a separate post. But in the meantime, here are the correct answers to the quiz!

1. It's Wilber, with an e. I keep forgetting this and call him Wilbur, but it's about time I learned!
2. OdinBC, may he live long and prosper, created and updated our tutorial index.
3. Saffron buns!! Not just any buns. SAFFRON buns. Especially of the type called "lussekatter" ("Lucy-cats"). Here on the Swedish west coast you sometimes get them without saffron, but that's an abomination you don't find anywhere else in the country, so it doesn't count.
4. Did you see what I did with this question? Of course, if you paint a cat in #888888, you could say the cat is grey. The more knowledgeable (worth 1 bonus point) answer would be to get a specific name for that grey shade in some colour system like Pantone. But the most awesome answer would be something like: "But AnMal, I don't even have a cat!" or "My cat is a fine ginger tabby". Answers like that are worth 2 bonus points.
5. We are allowed 14 smilies in our posts on GC. That may seem an odd number to some...
6. ... but there is a history behind it. Someone (well, me, to be quite honest) got a bit enthusiastic in a thread with lots of pretty things in it and you can red the story inposts 21 to 28 in that thread. GnuTux has a fine sense of humour :). I should perhaps apologise for this queston. I swear i only had to search for '14 smilies' and the right thread and posts came early in the search results, but today I tried the same search and had to go down to page 5 of search results. Not my intention to give you all that trouble, so sorry if you searched in vain!

Nidhogg: Frida is a very nice looking cat, grey tabby cats are lovely. However, it makes it hard for me to know if you were clever or not in question 4 :hehe Didn't think that far when I wrote the question! I'm going to assume you were clever and give you 3 points for that question, because it won'tmatter to the result anyway - don't you have saffron in your lussebullar in Finland? Oh, and I remember it took three hours to get all the wax drips out of my hair once after a lucia procession!

Wallace: Well done! You even got the saffron bun right. I'm surprised that was you and not Nidhogg, my Nordic brother. This means you get to wear the crown, so stay tuned!

What!?
Me!?
No, really?

:oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:43 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
Don't you have saffron in your lussebullar in Finland?

Of course we do, and most often raisins though I don't like raisins that much. Thanks for funny quiz game.

Congrats for the candle crown Wallace! You're a great mod and deserve to be lucified :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:47 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Nidhogg wrote:
AnMal wrote:
Don't you have saffron in your lussebullar in Finland?

Of course we do, and most often raisins though I don't like raisins that much. Thanks for funny quiz game.

Congrats for the candle crown Wallace! You're a great mod and deserve to be lucified :hehe

:hehe
Thanks Nidhogg.
I like raisins
. :)