It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Copyright Basics
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:45 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Not sure if this was posted, but here is a good article about copyright basics:
https://copyrightalliance.org/education ... 6ytA5wotng

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Copyright Basics
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:34 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I only re-use material with a 'Creative Commons' license. I think this license is more advanced than 'copyright' for a number of reasons. I respect an authors copyright on a novel, publication etc, but imagine what would happen if the language it was written in was copyright?
Imagine if mathematics was copyrighted by it's creators?

There are a lot of assumptions built-in to any advanced culture, and I suspect most copyright is just 'monetizing' something made out of other people's intellectual property. EG. How much does rock music owe Nikola Tesla creator of alternating current generation and distribution? (I don't expect anyone to answer that question)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:34 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
I only re-use material with a 'Creative Commons' license. I think this license is more advanced than 'copyright' for a number of reasons. I respect an authors copyright on a novel, publication etc, but imagine what would happen if the language it was written in was copyright?
Imagine if mathematics was copyrighted by it's creators?

There are a lot of assumptions built-in to any advanced culture, and I suspect most copyright is just 'monetizing' something made out of other people's intellectual property. EG. How much does rock music owe Nikola Tesla creator of alternating current generation and distribution? (I don't expect anyone to answer that question)

I agree. I also re use material with a creative commons license as well. I agree with everything you said. I just thought the article was interesting and it could be useful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

"Copyright" is not a licence. Creative Commons doesn't replace Copyright, it complements it. As stated in the first paragraph of the Wikipedia page on CC, "A Creative Commons (CC) license is one of several public copyright licenses that enable the free distribution of an otherwise copyrighted "work".

If you use a CC work, in most cases you have to put an equivalent CC license on your derivative work (something which is rarely done around here...).