It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auto Installer
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:28 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I just came across this auto installler: https://ninite.com/

Is it better than going to the actually websites to install programs? Has anyone heard of ninite?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Auto Installer
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:33 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Never heard of ninite. Seriously I wouldn't touch that with a 20 ft pole if I were you. Good luck if you do.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:39 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Just the fact the website is called "ni-nite" makes me highly suspicious. I ALWAYS go to the originating website for software, no matter how long it takes me to download them.

Better safe than sorry...

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:51 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I was just curious because it has various open source programs listed including gimp. I'd never heard of it myself until I found myself just browsing youtube for open source programs similar to what I use now just in case my laptop goes dead. I never use an auto installer but some people might. I only use an auto unless it comes from the forum of a program I use like paint.net. I always go to the original site where the program is.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:33 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

Actually seems fairly legit, it even has its Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninite

The question is whether you want all you apps always blindly updated. A new release can fix bugs that don't matter to you and introduce some that are a real nuisance (yes, I'm looking at you, 2.10.16). The risk is low with apps that have a lot of official backing (Firefox, Chrome, but then these often update by themselves already) but higher with "volunteer" software like Inkscape or Gimp.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:54 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

ofnuts wrote:
Actually seems fairly legit, it even has its Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninite

Curious question. Does having a wikipedia page make something (person or product) more legit?

Considering how Wikipedia can lock you out of your own wiki and allow almost anyone else to edit it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:10 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

mahvin wrote:
ofnuts wrote:

Curious question. Does having a wikipedia page make something (person or product) more legit?

Considering how Wikipedia can lock you out of your own wiki and allow almost anyone else to edit it.

Having a Wikipedia page for a long time, and a calm editing history, yes :) And your argument works both ways. The first people to want their software on Wikipedia are the authors themselves. It wouldn't be long before someone debunks it and an editing war ensues, with the original authors eventually locked out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:19 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I have not tried "ninite" myself but my brother has. Of course, you could just do a search on whichever programs you are interested in, and go straight to the programers web site and download from there.
I did want to mention that I have been using the VT4Browser extension in my web browser, whenever you download a file it will do a popup that you click on that takes you in a new tab to the VirusTotal web site where you can read the results of their tests.