Non-Gimp related posts here
Post a reply

Mid winter and now spring flora

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 pm

Many native Aussie plants flower in winter; some are just in flower now with a number of others close to it. Love my garden, especially on sunny (but not boiling hot) days like today

Re: Mid winter flora

Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:59 am

Thanks for the flower pictures. Here in central Virginia, where the boiling and broiling days are just getting started, we have some flowers with very similar colors but very different shapes and I am too ignorant about the world to know their names. Read a few of your poems for the first time tonight. Really enjoyed the one about the woman reading Barbara Vine. I guess I envy what your eyes can do. I promise I'll go back for more.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:39 am

Lovely flowers OMG. We don't have too many native flowers here, not near where I live. Lovely to see some been out and already gone (Snow bells and Jonquils to name a couple) and to see Spring on the way - my favorite, Jasmine is already showing its buds but not long after they are open they are gone -
All in all last for a few short weeks. Love their perfume.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:21 am

Flowers are always nice, and especially from countries other than your own. Lovely!
That top one looks somewhat like one we call "fat head", but it has yellow flowers, and grows no more than a few centimeters above ground.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Given the interest expressed above, here are a couple more of flowers from larger Grevillea on another sunny winter's day. ... each tree is currently around 3 metres high and the flowers are the size of a clenched fist.

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Those are some strange yet beautiful blooms, OMG. :)

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:05 am

Lyle - thank you; yes many of the local plants are a bit 'different' :)

Two more, the first a grevillea hybrid bred by a renowned gardening family and the second a correa variety, known commonly as chef's hat correa.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:49 am

"Chef's Hat" yeah, understandable. :)

Nice flowers. Over here the flowering season is almost over. Some plants put out flowers most of the summer season, but many of them are flowering rather intensely during spring and early summer and then nothing.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:06 am

OMG :wvy
It is "un jardin extraordinaire" :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdO1TNCJru8

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:42 pm

After four days of torrential rain, some sunshine and everything in the garden is trying to show off.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Lovely. Must be telling you something. Winter can't stop them!

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:57 pm

On the cusp of spring and a warm day, so most shrubs are showing buds or open flowers already. Grevillea caloundra gem, which I have posted before, is a speedy grower already having reached 3 metres in height. It has about 30 flowers on that new growth just like the image below, waiting to burst forth and open those spidery stamens. The other flower is from a shrub grevillea x juniperina (pink lady).

We are also picking our limes/lemons at present. Because of the rainy winter, the trees are loaded with fruit, so much so that we cannot even give the limes and lemons away - there is a glut.

Re: Mid winter and now spring flora

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 pm

A few days of strong sun, temperatures heading towards the 30C and a mass of shrubs/trees flowering ... must be spring.

Grev1 image has 3 assorted Grevilleas in red, pink and whit plus a purple Aussie orchid top right.

Grev2 image has 3 Grevilleas, the one on the top right featuring a good example of my Grevillea Caloundra Gem which has some 60 similar flower heads rising 3 metres into the air.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:15 am

and we have some beautiful Spring days as well :) I think my Jasmine came out just for Spring.

Beautiful Aussie flora there

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:42 pm

As Spring progresses, flowers come and flowers go. Here are a couple more Aussie native plants showing their wares right now, the Melaleuca with its dainty curls and my new climbing Pandoreas which will hopefully soon provide a colourful screen for the water tanks.

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 pm

PA170002.JPG
PA170002.JPG (3.63 MiB) Viewed 2702 times
Australian Native Frangipani is often in many gardens and lines streets, We also get a large/tall green trees (that I've seen lining streets) in the late Spring/Summer OMG, that has yellow grevillea type flowers. You may know what these are called?

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:06 am

Sallyanne - I have one of those beautiful Native Frangipani in the back corner of the garden, flowering now and it is about 8 metres high. Tall yellow Grevilleas are not common, but the Grevillea ‘Honey Gem’ does have yellow flowers and grows to about 5 metres.

Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:01 am

That one is in my front yard but the top was blown off a few years ago & I don't think it has recovered yet - (reached it's hieght that it was then). It still flowers profusely every year though. actually those grevillea I mentioned are more of a gold. I'll see if I can find a picture on Google.

EDIT:-
Image I think it is this one. Grevillea Robusta or Australian Silky Oak

I have passed them many times in a car but never got a photo of one. I'll have to take one this Summer, now I can get around small distances on my own in my new set of wheels. Wouldn't ask other people to stop so I could take photos before.
Post a reply