It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 10, version 20H2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:29 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Has anyone updated to version 20H2 of windows 10? I have an it's already quite buggy.

The Task View doesn't clear like it's supposed to. I have tried 2 ways. One way is through Settings>Privacy>Activity History and hit clear. Nothing.
I've also tried this:

My task view looks like this:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10, version 20H2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
confused.gif
confused.gif [ 50.25 KiB | Viewed 8834 times ]

I can't help because I don't run Windows, but maybe you can restore a previous working version?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:01 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
Attachment:
confused.gif

I can't help because I don't run Windows, but maybe you can restore a previous working version?

I could restore it to the previous version and I might if nothing else works. I've posted feedback and reached out to Microsoft, Windows, and their Microsoft help team through social media. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:06 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I had history all the way back to Oct. 16th (believe that's when I upgraded). I did follow the steps in your screen capture and it worked (since Clear option didn't show up). It worked. Still what a pain. I did find out that if I uncheck Send my activity history to Microsoft, temporarily change to another setting (I chose Microphone) then go back, the clear option becomes available. Weird bug. Still, the Clear works once you see it doing this so don't have to use the steps you provided again. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this behavior. Again, you need to uncheck Send my activity history to Microsoft, temporarily go to another setting, then go back. Then you can go ahead and re-check send my activity to Microsoft and also clear activity history. Of course if you go to another activity and come back, you will no longer have the Clear option, but that's OK; can get Clear back by doing the steps that I spieled. lololl

Thanks for pointing this out; way too much things to look at; just want a month (actually it hasn't been a month yet; I bet after a month it will clear older entries; I'll wait to find out). :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:39 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll leave downloading and installing for a bit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:51 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
I had history all the way back to Oct. 16th (believe that's when I upgraded). I did follow the steps in your screen capture and it worked (since Clear option didn't show up). It worked. Still what a pain. I did find out that if I uncheck Send my activity history to Microsoft, temporarily change to another setting (I chose Microphone) then go back, the clear option becomes available. Weird bug. Still, the Clear works once you see it doing this so don't have to use the steps you provided again. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this behavior. Again, you need to uncheck Send my activity history to Microsoft, temporarily go to another setting, then go back. Then you can go ahead and re-check send my activity to Microsoft and also clear activity history. Of course if you go to another activity and come back, you will no longer have the Clear option, but that's OK; can get Clear back by doing the steps that I spieled. lololl

Thanks for pointing this out; way too much things to look at; just want a month (actually it hasn't been a month yet; I bet after a month it will clear older entries; I'll wait to find out). :)

My past history that is frozen, still won't clear. Still nothing and I don't have an answer from Microsoft, Windows, or Microsoft Help on twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:44 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

So the software maker assumes the users can't remember what their tasks were?
So the users are supposed to send their tasks to the software maker so they can be reminded what they were doing.

That's just insulting IMHO.
Sometimes I do forget what I was doing but because I'm just 1 person on a planet of 7.8 billion people, it's safe to assume it was insignificant.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:57 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe you will have no choice but go through a repair process, Mackenzieh. Yes; it sucks. Had to do so twice since I installed Win10 and lost a few of my Giveawayoftheday apps, but at least my data wasn't hosed like many others have been. Hope they give you a good answer, Mackenzieh; again, my taskview history did clear and if you uncheck send info to microsoft, go to another setting and then back, the option to clear that history appears for me. Stupid way of doing so, but at least it works. You, of course, need to recheck send into to microsoft in order to have the OS keep a tally of history again; Faustian bargain for sure. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:09 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I received a reply from Jo on twitter from Microsoft support. Jo suggests safe mode. Not sure if that will even work.

Here is what they said:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:30 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
So the software maker assumes the users can't remember what their tasks were?
So the users are supposed to send their tasks to the software maker so they can be reminded what they were doing.

That's just insulting IMHO.
Sometimes I do forget what I was doing but because I'm just 1 person on a planet of 7.8 billion people, it's safe to assume it was insignificant.

I agree, it is insulting but some users like this feature. I think it's a total pain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:44 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

The task view is still freezing up. Tried to clear it today...
This is what I get:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Hi mackenzieh.
Here is how to switch off Timeline in Win 10 version 20H2.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:32 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:

Disabling the time line doesn't do much since past history is still stuck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:22 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Since reaching out to Microsoft and Windows about my problem on social media,
I have now been told to do a clean reboot. I remember doing a clean install the first time my laptop had issues with it. I will assume that a clean reboot is just another term for clean install and refuse to do a clean reboot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

No a clean reboot is different to a clean install.

A clean reboot starts with a minimum set of drivers.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:59 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
No a clean reboot is different to a clean install.

A clean reboot starts with a minimum set of drivers.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I will look into it but I see no reason why I have to fix what Windows screwed up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Free advice from a retired IT guy.
If you are going to use an unreliable operating system then you need at least 2 computers.
Owning 1 computer and running the Seattle OS will give you stress.

I've been using Ubuntu for decades because it's well supported and stable. I did skimp on hardware by using second hand stuff but in the long run it's best to go with reputable brand hard disks, ram and motherboards and open source software.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Tas_mania wrote:
If you are going to use an unreliable operating system then you need at least 2 computers.

I've been using Ubuntu for decades because it's well supported and stable. I did skimp on hardware by using second hand stuff but in the long run it's best to go with reputable brand hard disks, ram and motherboards and open source software.

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:25 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:

My HP laptop was gifted to me 2 years ago from my dad. It was a surprise, so at the time, I wasn't picky about te OS system. I'm still not picky, over the OS, just not happy that Windows is screwing me over. At this point, I wish, windows hadn't come up with the task view.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:11 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry you're having issues, Mackenzieh; as a side, I do like taskview and use it often enough since it does a few things to speed up launching those programs that I open with it (ie. a bit faster than it use to be to do so; not really lightening fast much but enough for me to notice). :)