It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No appreciation or thank you
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:32 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I been noticing in the years I been here as a member that are certain new users, i guess, that (after they get the answer they needed), they :sneak away and you don't see or hear from them anymore. It's like a "one night stand" as soon they get the answer(s) they disappear and no even a reply thank you, if you know what I mean.
This is just a thought I had in my frivolous head! :hehe

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: No appreciation or thank you
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:13 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I call them one hit wonders. They have their benefits. Such as adding new life to a blank mind. When I was posting tutorials for beginners, I often run across people only seeking to do one thing, usually for a specific project. This is often the case for crafters seeking an easier way to "mimic" or simulate a look. Not sure about the lack of appreciation, most are thankful, although a few probably get caught up in the eureka moment and leave without any sentiment. Rest assured, there are many of us here who are very appreciative of your plugins!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:08 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Totally agree Pocholo...I noticed this too. I was thinking about it this morning... if only you could respond quickly with a thumbs up (just like with Facebook) but unfortunately that's not here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:13 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Pretty usual behavior... Can't tell for GC but over on gimp-forum:

• People with posts/threads: 3301
  • People with only one thread and one post: 845 , so about a third
  • People with one thread but more than one post (so they followed up/thanked): 1545, so almost twice as many...

It has always been that way as far as I can tell.

There are also those who delete their posts once they have an answer. Not too much on Gimp-related forums, but fairly frequent on programming ones, even when they go to great lengths to not make it look like it's homework.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:40 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Oh wow those are numbers. I never will have thought that kind of number. And to think that a few years as a member of GC I seen it all. :huh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:06 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Actually, asking a question online and getting the answer(s) also answers the question for anyone else in the future who g@@gles it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:31 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I Have never been able to understand why people delete their post after getting an answer. It is so helpful to find the answer to a problem that has already been addressed and prevents those that impart their knowledge from having to do it again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:09 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Pat625 wrote:
I Have never been able to understand why people delete their post after getting an answer. It is so helpful to find the answer to a problem that has already been addressed and prevents those that impart their knowledge from having to do it again.

I agree wholeheartedly. Every forum i have joined and every post i have made is still there for others to gain that information. Unless of course the website has gone down for some reason or another. And i always give credit.
Even the filters i write i give credit to those who help. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't. It's just common courtesy. In my honest opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:42 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

Pat625 wrote:
I Have never been able to understand why people delete their post after getting an answer.

Many people (especially in some cultures, and I include the French here) think that asking a question exposes them as being dumb(*), so they want to cover their tracks. Not mentioning students who don't want to be identified by a teacher.

For likely that same reason, people also send questions to the GF admin mailbox...

(*) As an IT contractor I learned to ask questions, even if that displeases the project manager. Sometimes I got embarrassed non-answers, for questions such as "Where are the backups" and "Who tests"?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:47 am  (#10) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I'm simply grateful that GC is still around.
I also feel an owing thanks for all of you who have given so much to me and to others.
I will be forever beholden to all of you good people here on GC.
Thank you all for being here and thank you Pocholo for all you've given to us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:09 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I must say that I am one of the members of this forum that I am very grateful. (to all of you). Administrators, those who teach us, those who give solutions, those who invest time and effort in making tutorials or explain in detail any solution, those who create scripts, plug-ins, those who collect the filters and adapt so that they can be downloaded. etc.
All this makes to be a very special helpful forum and appreciated by so many. But there is another important aspect, through the years a close friendship is created among us which is even more valuable to me. :tyspin

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:26 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

It's indeed not unusual to have people ask a question and then not follow up when given the answer - in any context. Same way people say things on the internet that they'd never do in real life (because they are 'anonymous' online), they probably don't consider it necessary to be polite online either.
Of course, the question + answer may still help others, so that's still a good thing. :)

I've not had anyone outright delete their question, but if so I think @ofnuts is right that it'd most likely be a student asking for help with homework and wanting to hide their tracks ... (not sure that'd apply for art help but what do I know...).
Griatch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:27 am  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Have you been checking your post views and or downloads? In most cases that is the only thanks you will get unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:02 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

You guys can say thank you to me by trying to make your own third party GEGL filter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:46 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Efforts are always appreciated from you and all here, Pocholo. Just remember, first and foremost, to have fun. It's the quest to figure things out that's more important for me. Has kept me going for nearly 20 years now as far as GIMP is concerned. Always am amazed with those that can code and have a passion for it. Just wish I had that same passion. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:27 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Probably the majority of users misinterpret Pocholo's intentions.
It's not about thanking you (very much due for Pocholo :clap ) for the plugins you wrote.
It's only about new users who will appear on the forum only once - they will ask a question and disappear like METEOR. :gaah
Without confirmation, we don't even know if the answers have solved the problem.
It doesn't bother me anymore - maybe unpleasant (but it saves time and nerves :mrgreen: ), but I'm not active in response when a user has only one post on their account (no matter how interesting and different the answers were :hehe ).

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:49 am  (#17) 
Global Moderator

@ MareroQ [It's only about new users who will appear on the forum only once - they will ask a question and disappear like METEOR. :gaah
Without confirmation, we don't even know if the answers have solved the problem.]
That unfortunately happens everywhere :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:27 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Marek. Yes, I'm not talking about myself or if anybody thank me or not. The main reason is that we will never know if the answers we provide to any questions was the correct for that pertaining purpose. I usually like to help and know that the contributions I'm giving is the right one, (I won't loose any sleep over this). :otb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:12 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

The dark side ;)

If you look for appreciation and praise then be prepared to accept criticism as well. Not many happy about that these days, we have become a fragile society.
I am old school, come from Usenet 15 or 16 years ago, not unusual to get ripped-to-shreds in that arena. I think the term is water-off-a-ducks-back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:38 pm  (#20) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I feel it's members like Pocholo who help to build GC's foundation for the future.
None of us will be here forever.
Eventually the proverbial torch will have to be passed.
Newer members will, (fingers crossed Image) be able to keep GC going for others into the future.
:hi5