It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not So Good News
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:58 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I know I'm not on here often, but I thought I'd fill you guys in.

At the end of 2020, I got COVID. Covid pneumonia in both lungs. Did a night in ER, a week in the hospital, and was on oxygen for four months. Nearly died. The doctor told me when he released me, that if I would have waited one more day to go to the hospital, I may not have made it.

Went back to work, and had a hard time keeping up. Just didn't have the same stamina. Never heard the end of it, as, like most places, the employers just don't care. I had had enough, and walked out of my job of nearly 21 years. Got another job, that was a short assignment, and only lasted 3 months.

Was looking for new employment, as I needed the funds, and especially some insurance. Scary being 59 and not having insurance, especially since I nearly died of COVID.

About a month ago, I contracted Influenza A. Was so sick and nauseous, of course, with a fever. Got rid of the fever, and started feeling a bit better, but something wasn't quite right. Had the wife take me to ER, to find out I have pneumonia in the bottom of both lungs. Spent 4 days in the hospital with no insurance. Was diagnosed with COPD. My week stay with covid cost $37,000, of which the insurance company paid $30,000. I'm still paying off the remaining $7,000. My wife filed an application to reduce the cost, and luckily, they're going to knock off 75% of my 4 day stay. Very grateful, but it will still leave thousands to pay, in addition to what I already owe. I'm not a rich man, and for the last few months, I've been living off what little savings I have.

After I got home from the hospital, I was feeling much better after only a few days. Decided to go to bed for the first time in about 4 weeks. I felt more comfortable sleeping while sick in my recliner. Woke up about 4 am, having a coughing fit. Lasted for
a few hours, then subsided. A day after that, I was having a little pain in my right lung. Thought it was just hurting from all the coughing. After the next few days, it got worse.

Couldn't bare the pain anymore, so the wife took me back to the ER. After doing x-rays, and CT scans, it was determined that I have a blood clot in my right lung. That's what was causing the pain and coughing. They kept me overnight, and put me on blood thinners. So, that's another night of bills from the hospital added to the previous.

The blood thinners cost $650 per month, with no insurance. Luckily, the hospital gave me a one time coupon for a months worth of the medicine for free, so one less thing to worry about. On the bright side, my wife called the manufacturer of the meds in question, and it looks like we'll be able to qualify to get them free, direct from them, for at least 6 months.

After being very healthy for years, COVID has really messed me up. I have side effects from it. The doctors believe the blood cot is a result of having covid. They have no real way of proving that, but many people that got sick from it, are forming clots.

Anyways, thanks for listening. Hoping my health improves.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Not So Good News
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:29 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I know the type of worry you are going through, just before covid hit my liver crapped out from hep-a. was close that they found a compatible replacement in time. but now i worry that every germ big and small it a danger.

You may want to take a look here for getting your medication cheaply. They do cost plus 15%, on medications. (plus shipping)
https://costplusdrugs.com/

They might carry what you need.
Stay well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:42 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks man. I've been to that site, and they don't carry the meds I need. (Eliquis)
Thanks just the same, appreciate it very much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:22 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

The Warrior, how sorry I am for everything that has happened to you and all the consequences that the covid has left you. It is a very hard test that you have passed and also the concern that you still have.
I sincerely hope that you can get over it soon and well. Life sometimes tests us and you have shown to be very brave and as you have presented yourself to us "The Warrior" you show it.
Please keep in touch with us and hopefully soon with much better news. You deserve that next year be a new beginning with health and constant improvement until you fully recover.
Thank you for your message and sharing with us this hard period that you have suffered.
Merry Christmas

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:55 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for such kind words Issabella, I appreciate that very much.

Didn't feel too bad yesterday, except for I can't stop coughing for five minutes, and it's driving me crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:08 am  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior,
I've been calling this the "Heartbreak Virus" for quite some time now.
Only because it has been the cause of so much heartache for me and for many other people I know.
I wish you and yours health and happiness in the new year and to come.
Thank you for sharing your story with us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:46 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks gang, appreciate it. Today, thus far, is a repeat of yesterday. Cannot stop coughing. Called the dr, see if there's a med he could prescribe to me. Problem is, we had bad weather last night, and they're closed. Gonna call the pharmacy when they open, see what they think.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:46 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Shocked by your news Warrior.
'Stay strong' doesn't seem the right thing to say for a man of your stature!
Best wishes for the New Year - stay out of the cold as best you can...

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:50 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Hi myfiend! I'm really sorry about your situation :( . I have a few of friends that caught the virus and the most common thing they had a deal with was coughing, no sense of smell and body weakness. After the were released from the hospital, a few of them told me that a good remedy for the constant cough is: Boil "Vicks vapor up" in water and deep inhale the vapor, that will expand your lungs. Take over the counter meds like "Robitussin and Mucinex". ***Make sure you speak with your doctor before you take these meds***. Keep fighting and don't give up! As your surreal name is "The Warrior". You're in my prayer!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:31 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks guys, appreciate it. When I got sent home the first time from the hospital, I had to buy the nebulizer machine, steroids, antibiotics, etc. They told me to do 4, 10 minute sessions per day. Yet, when I went in a week later, they said to use it only as needed. Yesterday morning, my air passages were raspy, so I did a nebulizer treatment. Can't say it's what caused it, but I coughed the rest of the day. When i stand up, or walk around, I barely cough, but when I sit down, it starts in again. I was able to get some cough medicine. Seems to help a little. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:20 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

So, let's do a recap here. A few weeks ago, I got Influenza A. Got rid of it, felt like I couldn't breathe. Went to ER, double pneumonia. Had pains in my right lung, back to ER. A blood clot. Got a fever again tonight, with my heart racing. Yep, back to ER. I have freakin' COVID again. Don't know how much more my body can take.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:34 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Not good news at all. Hoping you can celebrate some of the holidays and get better soon then stay well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:09 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

We had pretty much cancelled Christmas this year. My wife and I will both have to quarantine for a week.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:14 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Heart's out to you and family for the suffering you are currently going through, TW; hopefully the new year will bring the blessings that you need.

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:44 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Lyle, appreciate it. I've not felt too bad the last few days, except for a stuffy head, and occasionally light headed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:16 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Took a home covid test this morning, and it was negative. Had to take one, to see if I could see my doctor today or not. Went to the doctor's, and he listened to my lungs, and couldn't believe how clear they sounded. I feel pretty good except for a nasty sinus infection. He prescribed me some "aggressive" antibiotics, to clear it up. He said he wanted to take me off blood thinners after 3 months. He told me to get outside and walk, to get some strength back. A good day. I even lost 24 lbs. 287>263. Gonna try and lose 13 more, then after that, another 25. When I used to workout, 225 always seemed like a good weight for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:01 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry to read the news warrior. I hope the improvements continue and that 2023 is a good year for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:10 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Erisian, appreciate it.

Feeling much better now. The wife and I went antiquing this past weekend. Was afraid of getting winded. Walked around the whole place, and even went upstairs 4 times for the heck of it. Wasn't winded at all. It was 65° here yesterday, so I decided to go for a bike ride. Wasn't easy on myself at all, and wasn't too winded. My blood oxygen has been pretty steady at 95%, peaking at 98%, so that's a good thing. The Z pack the Doctor prescribed for me knocked out my sinus infection. The only thing that's still ailing me is an occasional cough. Pneumonia can take up to 6 months to heal completely. Feels good to be on the mend, and feeling "normal" again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:41 pm  (#19) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
Thanks Erisian, appreciate it.

Feeling much better now. The wife and I went antiquing this past weekend. Was afraid of getting winded. Walked around the whole place, and even went upstairs 4 times for the heck of it. Wasn't winded at all. It was 65° here yesterday, so I decided to go for a bike ride. Wasn't easy on myself at all, and wasn't too winded. My blood oxygen has been pretty steady at 95%, peaking at 98%, so that's a good thing. The Z pack the Doctor prescribed for me knocked out my sinus infection. The only thing that's still ailing me is an occasional cough. Pneumonia can take up to 6 months to heal completely. Feels good to be on the mend, and feeling "normal" again.

Nice!
I really enjoy riding my bicycle around town running my errands.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:58 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:

Nice!
I really enjoy riding my bicycle around town running my errands.

[/quote]
I have an e-bike. Nice having electric assist. I still pedal my butt off though. I can get it slightly past 30mph. I also have a trailer. We like to fill the trailer and go for a picnic somewhere: