It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not GIMPin' Too Much Anymore...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:48 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Have arthritis in both hands, worse in the right hand, plus carpal tunnel in the right hand. Not good. Don't have much control in the right hand anymore. Sucks. Sucks big time.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Not GIMPin' Too Much Anymore...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:32 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Awe that's not too good to hear. :(
Miss you on the forum. Hope it doesn't get any worse.
I wonder if there is anything that you can use where it doesn't involve moving your hands or wrists?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:17 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks salllyanne. In addition to the above, I also have tendonitis in both ankles, both elbows, and my right shoulder. I bought a brace this evening, hoping it'll help some. They have corrective surgery, but I have crap insurance, and no income due to health reasons. I haven't worked for over a year now. I filed for disability, but it takes forever. I can't retire for 2 more years. I just turned 60.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:23 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Hi The Warrior,
I have a lot of the same issues and know just how it feels.
Good to see you paying us a visit.

:noiseblower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:21 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry to hear about your situation, it must be really difficult. Thank you for dropping by and letting us know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:24 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks guys. I went to crop a photo a few days ago, and had to have my left hand guide my right hand. It's strange to have your brain tell your hand what it wants, but your hand no longer works correctly. I still use my right hand to eat with, but it gets very shaky, so I switch to my left. I had repetitious jobs for years. I always figured I'd end up with this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:46 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Doesn't sound too Good :(

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year.
Years seem to go by so quickly these days. Luckily I haven't any problems like that...yet. I had a stroke 25 years ago, but only walk funny and have a weak left side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:34 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

Would a speech to GIMP command interface help? I don't know much but I think with all the tech out there it's probably doable.
Wow while looking up things I came across
Windows Speech Recognition -
Say "Mouse Grid", then you can narrow down by saying numbers 4, then it shows another grid and you can say 2 after another
then "Click 5" to actually click 5.

And then I also found out that you can click and drag by also using "Mouse Grid" and numbers then "Mark 2" for example to start the click and hold
then shown another grid and you can narrow it down until you say "Drag" and it'll click and drag to that location.

It's slow but I guess it's one option without having to use the mouse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:05 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks sallyanne, appreciate it. I went to the doctor today, he said they could do long term therapy on my hand so I wouldn't have to have surgery, but I would have to be patient for results. I also had a another "episode". The day before I started this thread, I had a massive head rush. Worse one ever. I thought I would either pass out or die. Was having mild chest pains after that. Had a heart x-ray done today and they said my heart looks good. That was a relief, but I'm still having mild pains.

Thanks Tin, I'll have to give that a look.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:18 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Always good to hear form you Warrior.
:bigthup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:20 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hope you find a way to overcome your arthritis pain and return to GIMPin, TW. I take Vitamin B6 (2 100mg pills in the morning with meal) to address carpel tunnel issues. Unlike my sister-in-law's Grandfather touting that B6 cures carpel tunnel (he was a doctor that did research and believe published papers on B6 but don't know the guy's name or seen any published work from him. Supposedly, B6 metabolises into hydrocortisone but again, haven't done much research on this; only knows it is effective enough in my case to continue using it), for me, it keeps it from getting worse. Don't want to take more than 200mg a day, and have been doing so for several years now. I say do your own research on that. As for arthritis, you can try Turmeric with pepperine to help with the inflamation (and I do take it with meal at night), but its effectiveness is not so much for me but not expensive and has other benefits so keep taking this as well. For my knuckle gout, I take Tart Cherry extract (morning with meal). Does help. Again, I don't go to doctors so everything I take, I've done my own research on before doing so and suggest you do the same. Going to turn 59 in a few months; you might be older, though. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:46 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Ginger, nettle and licorice root are pain relieving. Rosehip, turmeric, medicinal mint, devil's claw. The Importance of Nutrition for Joint Health
Oily Fish
Garlic and Onion
Green Leafy Vegetables
Olive oil
Red Fruits_ Red-purple colored fruits such as cherries, blueberries and raspberries may provide protection against arthritis (joint inflammation) with their high antioxidant content.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:33 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I recommend avoiding the cyanide in some B vitamin supplement:
Multivitamin Without Cyanide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:27 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Warrior - I just wish that I knew something that would be of help to you.
I think your GimpChat name says it all!

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:30 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for all the advice gang, very much appreciated. Lyle, I just turned 60.

At the end of 2020, I nearly died of covid. Did a night in ER, week in the hospital, and 3 or 4 months on oxygen. Covid pneumonia in both lungs. Doctor told me if I'd have waited one more day to go to ER, I may not have made it. Have had long covid ever since. Achy joints, muscles, brain fog, fatigue, etc.

Then, in the the last few days of November, 2022, I contracted Influenza A. Was having a hard time getting air, so the wife took me to ER, to find out I had double pneumonia in the bottom of both lungs. 4 days in the hospital, diagnosed with copd. Was having pains in my right lung, so back to ER the next weekend. They found a blood clot in my right lung, and put me on blood thinners.Got a fever again, and had to go back to ER, for the 3rd weekend in a row, only to find out I had covid again, and a severe sinus infection. Any one of those could have killed me, yet I survived them all.

My dad died at 48 years of age, and my brother took his own life at 45, having had 3 strokes and a heart attack by age 43. Mom has beat cancer twice, and had had 2 stents placed in her heart. Other brother is diabetic, and sister is too. I never thought I would even live to see 60. Before covid, I was always healthy. Been down hill ever since.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:50 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Wow; heart's out to you Warrior.

Thought you were older than me (1 year and a few months anyway). lol

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:04 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Lyle, appreciate that.

Ok, ok, I'm old, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:04 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

You may be old, but not quite as old as me. I know about carpal tunnel, I worked on an Automotive Assembly line for 30+ years. I never got carpal tunnel because I rotated jobs frequently and switched hands when running pneumatic guns to minimize nerve damage.

I also don't have your heath issues, I work out regularly and maintain a healthy diet. I did develop severe joint pain about 2 weeks after my 57th birthday, but have pretty much eliminated that by daily use of a mixture of Turmeric, Ginger and pepper.

Best of luck to you and your health....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:09 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

Not as old as me either. Unfortunately some of us get issues according to our families genes. Most of the older females in my family have lived to 80 and plus. My mother is 85, 4 of her sisters got to 80 and she says she is just last year starting to feel her age. I am 20 years younger than my mother and apart from a stroke when I had an operation nearly 24 years ago to stabilise my epilepsy I am reasonably healthy. Prayers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:44 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Joint inflammation, called "arthritis", is a rheumatic disease and is generally more common in women than in men. The word arthritis is a general term used for more than 100 rheumatic diseases.

There are many types of arthritis, with different symptoms and different treatments, and it can occur in almost any joint of the body. It can be seen in all age groups.

Symptoms generally include restriction of movement in the joints and severe pain in the joint area. In addition, stiffness occurs in the joint area due to contractions caused by pain, and the person has difficulty moving the joint area for a while. As the disease progresses without treatment, deformations may occur in the joint. These deformations are more common in bony areas and fingers. Pain and swelling, which are the first symptoms of the disease, are more common in the morning and gradually decrease in severity throughout the day.

What are the Causes of Joint Inflammation?

Although the cause of arthritis is not yet fully explained, genetic factors have been shown to cause the disease. Another reason is that if the cells formed in the immune system are subjected to war, the factors that destroy these cells emerge as the primary factors in the formation of the disease.

The fact that certain molecules are seen more frequently in people with arthritis than in others may indicate that the disease occurs due to genetic factors. If the inflammation in the joints occurs as a result of an impact, this inflammation is called "traumatic arthritis".

When to see a doctor?

ongoing joint pain
joint stiffness
joint swelling
Tenderness or pain with touch
Restriction in movements
If any of the symptoms, such as warmth and redness in a joint, last longer than 2 weeks, you should definitely see a doctor.
Early diagnosis is very important in this disease. The patient should be followed up and the consequences of joint inflammation on the person should be determined well.

In non-surgical treatments, strong anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory drugs containing steroids are first used. Additionally, physical therapy is performed to increase the range of motion of the joint. Light activities may be recommended to strengthen the muscles.

The main drug used in treatment is methotrexate. In ankylosing spondylitis, in addition to symptomatic treatment such as painkillers, medications such as methotrexate and sulfasalazine are also used. Surgery may also be an option, depending on the patient's characteristics and the involved joint.