It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lets Clean Up The Coast!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:38 am  (#1) 
Former Member

So let me tell you how my day went, but this isn't an ordinary day, and if you follow a long you'll see why it's so interesting, and good.

So today I had nothing to do at all, completely free. Well my hommie Eric, and I were kicking it. Skating part of the day, and we're like. Yo man we should gather up some wood, and have a fire. Now I live in a town house which is like an apartment, their slightly different, but similar. Anyway! We have this river called the Rock River that is kind of in our Back Yard is probably the best thing to say as we live in a community sort to speak. So we're walking along the coast gathering the twigs sticks and suck that are lying there. Hey good way to have a free fire huh?

Anyway! As we're picking up these sticks, and twigs I see a chair in the river, and we'll the Rock River is incredibly polluted. No ones allowed to swim in it, and the consolation officers say not to ever eat the fish in the water either.

So as we got a lot of wood for a good fire I'm like, "Yo man lets clean the coast up?" My hommie's like, "Why?", and I told him that I hate this kind of stuff as you'll see ducks with fishing line in between their feet, and they can't fly. Most of them end up dead. I remember when I was a kid seeing some drunk gay men getting it on their boat, and a whole gas can fell in the river. I mean I even found my bike in the river.

So my friend, and I started cleaning the river up, and I began to think to set a specific date, where we get a group of people to clean the coast, and another time to clean the city, but as a group walking down the road picking up trash, putting them in a bag, for one to get thrown away, and another that'd be safe to burn, and not harm the air. I'd print a paper where people can sign their names on that date, have the news announce it, and help make it better out here. Also make a video as a commercial, and show people how much harm it's done.

I'm free for a whole week with no work, and now it's kind of boring sitting at home with nothing to do so this is something I love, and will enjoy doing, as it'll help me embrace my Native American history too. Except within me though.

Talk about a cool day though huh?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Lets Clean Up The Coast!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 am  (#2) 
Retired Staff

Good for you, Speed. We need more conscientious people doing that.

Our hiway department hires young people to pick up litter along the highways and beaches during the summer, and towns schedule creek and river cleanups.

I can't believe the way some people have no conscience about dumping litter out of their cars or dumping junk in our rivers and streams.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/OOM/about_us.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:37 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Nice Mike!
I love cleaning up our area also.It gives you a sense of pride knowing you did something for your community.Not to mention it looks great on a job application also. ;)

Plus think of all the nice bomfires you can have with the refuse wood!
You should also contact the local authorities and ask if maybe some folks from the jail can pitch in and help? (community service workers)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:25 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

good for you!!!! :jumpclap
I grew up with a 'neat freak' (hi mom :yes ) so i am all for people keeping things nice and clean. Not only is it good for you it's good for everyone else. I don't think everyone appreciates what a drain it is psychologically to be surrounded by filth and a mess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You know the funny thing about me is i am a "sorta neat freak" , but i am also a hoarder. :lol
Yes i do have 15 gazillion batteries, and other handy items i will probably never use but if i throw away i will need them for sure.I keep them all in my handy junk drawer!

Yes i have a drunk drawer doesn't everyone? :P
Actually i have several.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Mike, I think you should take a picture of all the junk you collect from a given area, and send it to the local news (both tv and paper) with a note about it....maybe they would pick up the story.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

That is a grand idea. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:50 am  (#8) 
Former Member

I didn't think about taking pictures I should. My camcorder's been acting up though so if it doesn't work I'll see if I can take a pic off a friends phone, or something.

Thanks for the tips though I'll defiantly put thoughs into consideration.