It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alabama snow.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Thought I would take a few snaps along a single theme. Photog I'm not; my main hobby is retouching as you all know and I rarely (may 3 or 4 times a year) even take snaps at all (prefer perverting other folks capturs; lol), but felt inspired to take a few captures for a change. These are SOOC (and in definite need for some tlc, which I will later). Click link below to view the album (I have both the RAW and jpegs, but only posting jpegs). :)

Link to album: http://imageshack.us/g/580/l1000009.jpg/

Below's a reduced sized crop of a sample image from the album.

Album hosted free thanks to ImageShack (http://www.imageshack.us).

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Alabama snow.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:28 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Those are really pretty Lyle. :)
Thank you for sharing them with us.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:32 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Thought I would take a few snaps along a single theme. Photog I'm not; my main hobby is retouching as you all know and I rarely (may 3 or 4 times a year) even take snaps at all (prefer perverting other folks capturs; lol), but felt inspired to take a few captures for a change. These are SOOC (and in definite need for some tlc, which I will later). Click link below to view the album (I have both the RAW and jpegs, but only posting jpegs). :)

LYLE! I love the depth of field on the close up shot! My girlfriend and I take A LOT of photos in nature (we hike every week, take photos, and teach others how to do it.) I'm using a Nikon D40 and she gets so jealous when I manage to make the "blurred" effect on closeup shots (her personal favorite type.) She's using a P&S.

What camera are you using?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Dad got me a Leica V-Lux1 a few years back. Used Macro mode for this shot which is probably why you get the DoF. Again, not a photog; it's not even my hobby (much prefer the digital darkroom), but we had an unusual bumper crop here in my home town. Just very lucky we got rain when we needed it. Thought the fields were the best I've ever seen (and trust me, I've seen enough cotton fields in my lifetime). Just inspired to to take a few captures of them; why not. lol

As a side note, any captures that I care to share online are open source as far as I care. Feel free to use them as you see fit. Thought about making a seamless cotton texture out of this particular macro shot, but the blow-outs and details mix didn't bode well for that endeavor (besides, I already have a pretty cool cotton texture pattern that I occasionally use already).

Thanks for the comments Rod/TS. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:35 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Ugh, cotton...my hands are bleeding just thinking about my grandfathers old cotton farm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

lol; I guess if you had to pick it, you wouldn't like it. Anyway, finally went ahead and created a seamless texture using a swab of the macro photo. Did have to fake a few things using Rodilius preset and some creative blends and such. Used the pattern and a few mathmap tricks to create the cotton ball. :)

Attachments:
cottonball.jpg
cottonball.jpg [ 448.85 KiB | Viewed 1331 times ]
cotton.pat [285.22 KiB]
Downloaded 65 times