It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's Pi Day again.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Happy Pi day folks. Slashdot reminded me of it again (as it did last year). lol

:)

Attachments:
pi.png
pi.png [ 401.38 KiB | Viewed 2954 times ]

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: It's Pi Day again.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:13 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I can't believe I forgot about it, like the design!

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:51 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Z; I forgot it too until I saw it mentioned at slashdot. Still really liking the voronoi stipple program. The creator made some improvments of it recently but did get rid of the gpu accelerated feature due to bugs. The biggest feature that I like is a new switch that helps keep the dots from overlapping. Now I can use a solid black fill. Also, a few other things for multiple size dots, but I've not played with it too much. The website doesn't reflect those changes though (I simphathize since I tend to be lazy on the details stuff now myself). lol

http://www.saliences.com/projects/npr/s ... pling.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:50 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Lyle the download has an application, a .dll and a file, do these install in gimp plugins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:18 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Below is the direct link to the Window's executable Graechan. Again, the guy did remove the gpu accelerated capability, but did add some cool additional features. I run it via a batch file with drag and drop shortcut, but if you run it in Windows DOS box, you will get some help there for the various switches to play with. Very powerful for what it does. Still wish I could have Perculator though. :)

http://www.saliences.com/downloads/voronoi-20120224.zip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

all i know of pi is
3.14159265358979323846264279502884 ... and i think 7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:30 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:53 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

So that's how it got to be called pie 2-ton. lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:33 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

It's pi approximation day ;)

pi =/= 3.14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
Lyle the download has an application, a .dll and a file, do these install in gimp plugins

I didn't realize that the version I had was from last Nov. I overwritten the files and got what I assume the same issues that you had Graechan. I installed the Visual C++ files from the link to Microsoft and all is well. Only difference is you no longer get a progress screen (which was more a nuisance then asset to me anyway) of the dots; only % complete from the DOS box. Just wanted to pass that info on. Not sure why they made the update to require C++ unless it makes running the script faster. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

New version very buggy; went back to the one from last November. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:12 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

go here for 1 million digits of pi
http://www.piday.org/million.php

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:35 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Hello,

Author of the stippling tool here. I've been trolling these forums keeping track of the interesting things people do with the tool (the circlism stuff was pretty darn neat!) and getting some motiviation for use cases. Whenever lylejk makes a post that links to the tool, traffic spikes to my web-site so that is always nice :) If you are having problems, do let me know through e-mail (sahab DOT yazdani AT gmail DOT com) or log a defect in the defect tracker on GitHub (https://github.com/thegrandpoobah/voron ... state=open). Or I guess right on this forum will work too. I will try to help out as best as I can.

As for the new version (the one from March), it is supposed to be much much faster than any of the previous ones thanks to optimizations and usage of multiple CPU cores (CPUs circa 2007+ roughly). It also works natively under Linux now thanks to some help from a fellow developer. Again, if you are having problems, do let me know :)

Regards,
Sahab Yazdani

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:10 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Cool Sahab; very much enjoy your gift and glad that you shared it with us. Yeah, I get this crash on a test image that I used with the current release (and not all images crash mind you). Also seems much slower then the release that I downloaded this past November (though on that image it does work; not showing the result). Event viewer didn't flag anything either so the error just remains vague unfortunately. :)

Below's my batch file that I do a drag and drop from a shortcut that's on my desktop:

voronoi -t .3 -s 500 -n -z 1 -I %1 -O %1.svg

Below is the crash; no description (trust me I waited long enough and just stopped the wait):

Attachment:
error.png
error.png [ 49.73 KiB | Viewed 1648 times ]

I used Adrian's plant4h.png and it crashes every time (even my other batch file which uses 5000 stipples instead of 500 but identical to the batch file posted otherwise). Not sure if it will crash for you. It's a greyscale image; I even tried to convert it to rgb but it still crashes. :)

Link to Adrian's test images: http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~ajsecord/npar20 ... ginals.zip

Below's the result from the program voronoi-20110926.zip (which I downloaded actually last November when I noticed that you updated it (not that good but wanted to use the same parameters as the batch):

Attachment:
plant4h_stipple.png
plant4h_stipple.png [ 64.97 KiB | Viewed 1648 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I've filed this as Issue #18: (https://github.com/thegrandpoobah/voronoi/issues/18) and will take a look sometime soon-ish.

It may be related to Issue #17 (https://github.com/thegrandpoobah/voronoi/issues/17), which I have a potential fix for that I am testing.

(For future consideration, if you use the -l (logging) option, it sometimes gives more insight into where/why it crashed, but I don't think that in this particular case it makes any difference.

I will let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:25 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

That's cool Sahab. Again, thanks. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Hey guys is there anyway some one could pass me any necessary .dll's and such? Like the VCOMP100.dll? I am trying to create a portable version of this as it might be cool to take around on my thumbdrive (and looking at the license files, it seems alright to do so as well)
The MIT License

Copyright (c) 2011 Sahab Yazdani

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:53 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I acually installed Visual C++ libraries per the link at Sahab's site Zward117 and there's no telling what other libraries this routine requires. You could go to dll-files.com (used them in the past; good resource) but I wouldn't do it this way, but if you are game, it's a possibility. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:14 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I know I just don't want to have to have users install that if they want to use it port-ably (I guess that would be how you would spell that word?{at least according to chrome and firefox lol}), but thanks for that link will look into it tonight.
EDIT:
Didn't work....darn! Got the error to go away but now it just's flashes and doesn't run. Oh well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:04 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

I was able to reproduce the problem and I think I have a fix. Please try out this version which contains the fix: http://www.saliences.com/downloads/stip ... t-beta.zip
and let me know if it works out.

As for the speed issues, although the tool may be slower by default on smaller number of stipples, it now scales much better than before. For example, on my own laptop it would have been basically impossible to generate images with 10,000+ stipples in the past, but now I can comfortably do images with 100,000+ stipples and/or lower (more accurate) threshold settings.

For smaller number of stipples (or gigantic images), you can make the tool faster without sacrificing quality by decreasing the sub-pixel density setting (-p 1 is a good start).

All of this should *really* be documented, but alas, who has the patience :)