It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: this is my escape...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:28 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

this site, is my escape from daily life...i come here to try and get away from it all. i consider everyone here a friend...i hope this site never goes away..cause i would go crazy if it did..gimp has become my hobby....i can't wait to log in and see what others have come up with....long live gimp...lol :gimp :gimp :gimp

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: this is my escape...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:57 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

That's so cool of you to say that rdgracer71. You are a great member to have in our family. I think we are a great group too. :teeth
:ghug :grooving

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
That's so cool of you to say that rdgracer71. You are a great member to have in our family. I think we are a great group too. :teeth
:ghug :grooving

thanks molly,,i am so new to gimp that i am not sure i am able to help others, but if i ever can, i will help others in any way i can...i have always loved art and just got back into drawing. i downloaded gimp and didn't use it for months and i almost deleted it cause i could not figure it out..until i went to youtube one day and watched a video on it and then i figured out how to use it..since then i have been teaching myself how to use it...and then i found this site...it has open a whole new world of art to me.i hope to have some new pictures to show off soon....and once again thanks for your kind words...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

That all sounds familiar, I too download Gimp and was completely baffled by all the differing functions, so left it alone for a good while. Then just like you decided that I should start to learn this program and hunted out some tutorials.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
That all sounds familiar, I too download Gimp and was completely baffled by all the differing functions, so left it alone for a good while. Then just like you decided that I should start to learn this program and hunted out some tutorials.

well i didn't want to sound like a dummy so i never said this but i got to confess i never even knew how to draw with gimp. i mean i loaded up gimp and then picked a tool to draw with and tried to draw on the background that is there when you first upload gimp....i didn't know you was suppose to start a new layer first or even how to do it..lol :hehe man was i a dummy....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

many of us started out that way, I know I did. I didn't wait though, because I had been told there were tutorials online so I googled for them right away. But following tuts is basically how I learned to use gimp.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:09 pm  (#7) 
Retired Staff

I'm so glad you feel at home here in Gimp Chat. Just keep on coming back. Soon you will be helping others.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

rdgracer71 wrote:
he4rty wrote:

well i didn't want to sound like a dummy so i never said this but i got to confess i never even knew how to draw with gimp. i mean i loaded up gimp and then picked a tool to draw with and tried to draw on the background that is there when you first upload gimp....i didn't know you was suppose to start a new layer first or even how to do it..lol :hehe man was i a dummy....

I think it's surprising how little we know about our own intelligence and capabilities We see a huge list of functions and give up overwhelmed by the complexity of it all. I know one man who's perfectly intelligent who took one look at Photoshop and went back to MS Paint! I learned to use Gimp by playing with filters and tools on photos to see what they did.. Play is the most natural way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Play is the most natural way to learn.

exactly! rdgracer, you show a fine ability to play and experiment, so you'll soon be teaching us your own tricks :).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:

Except when it comes to blender, and I couldn't even follow a tutorial for that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
Erisian wrote:

Except when it comes to blender, and I couldn't even follow a tutorial for that.

Yeah, Blender is a tough nut to crack and you have to learn all the keyboard shortcuts.