It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introducing my sig, depth map and more
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi, everyone!
I was experimenting with images for the last two weeks trying to create perfect depth maps.
It's not that easy to do when you have to deal with a single image.
For now I think I have figured out how to create a depth map from a text (it's a pure cheating with text, I know, but the results are promising).
Creating a depth map expands the possibility to create interesting 3D effects in GIMP.
Today I made this GC-logo depth map using just GIMP (displace map filter) See Stereogram below

Then I created a quick Gimp Chat logo (same thing as my new Signature - I used different font, hence, different depth map here)
ImageImage

Then I went further and with the help of Stereogram program and the same depth map (Range Image, in terms of stereogram making)
created this Stereogram (Magic Eye image)
Image hey, hey, tell me what you see in there!

Range Image is inferior to AutoCAD-like images (DFX) at SG-creating. And it's possible to create meshed objects in Blender but it's been a while since I made something useful in Blender (some day I'll get back to it, though).

Last edited by K1TesseraEna on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Introducing my sig, depth map and more
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:33 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Just another, more illustrative, example of text Range Image here
ImageImage

My jasper gemstone text ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:06 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Big fan of stereograms Kite. Depth maps are a pain to create and when needed, I usually fake or or get help with some of the work the Tom did with G'MIC. Like your contour mapping text effects too. Maybe you will share your flow on them later I hope. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:12 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Big fan of stereograms Kite. Depth maps are a pain to create and when needed, I usually fake or or get help with some of the work the Tom did with G'MIC. Like your contour mapping text effects too. Maybe you will share your flow on them later I hope. :)

I was going to do so, but it's such a time consuming thing. Will do it this weekend. Promise. :paint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:42 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I'm a little confused by the term 'depth map'. What exactly are we talking about? It looks like you took a black text layer and placed a duplicate white text layer blurred about 10 above it. I'm lost after that. You said you used Displacement? What settings? I can't see how you got from your first pic to the second pic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
I'm a little confused by the term 'depth map'. What exactly are we talking about? It looks like you took a black text layer and placed a duplicate white text layer blurred about 10 above it. I'm lost after that. You said you used Displacement? What settings? I can't see how you got from your first pic to the second pic.

Depth maps are created from at least two images. Then software algorithm calculations translated into monochromatic image that is called Depth Map by some Stereogram-making programs or Range Image by others. In my original post I said about cheating with texts, because, of course, we can't call it a true depth map by the way it was made. It does not matter, if we created, say, b&w image that serves perfectly as a Range image - it's good enough for me, terminology strictness aside. You can paint it by hand - it would be pain in the butt, but still a valid Depth map.

As I mentioned earlier I was working on DMs lately with a single image and got some results. It looks clumsy so far with complicated objects, but I think I'm on the right path.

As for a workflow I used, due to the lack of time I will do it in a few days.

English, after all, isn't my first or even second language, beside the general fact that I suck at explaining things clearly even in my mother tongue, LOL. So it would take more time for me than for an average person. I think fast enough, tho.