It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 9:17 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
I fully trust Parthas builds so I was very surprised when I saw this while installing gimp painter from his site. (I've gimped out some personal information)

Image

I allowed AVG to do its job and it said it had removed all the threats and painter ran fine but I can only think AVG is giving false readings these days; a dirty policy to make sales.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I think so too Aris. I used to use AVG a long time ago on win doze and they have gone down hill big time...

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 27, 2010
Posts: 491
Yes. AVG is garbage anymore. Almost everything is a positive now, even my own law website.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I think Avast is your best bet. You can get that free for one year then after that they just keep you updated when the year is up. I have been using it for around 10 yrs. Only when I use Windoze of coarse, I use Fedora now.. no virus software needed :teeth

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:06 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Thanks guys. It's nice to know I'm not just paranoid and I'll probably try Avast. Looks like a PC cleanup is on the way to get rid of any traces of AVG. In my opinion AVG is a virus.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am  (#6) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
molly wrote:
I think Avast is your best bet. You can get that free for one year then after that they just keep you updated when the year is up. I have been using it for around 10 yrs. Only when I use Windoze of coarse, I use Fedora now.. no virus software needed :teeth

Linux doesn't protect you against everything... Technically you can get infected with a mere Javascript, and Chrome/Firefox for Linux are exactly as hackable as their Windows versions.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
You are probably right but the percentages are a lot higher against infections than in windoze.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
AVG does give a lot of false positive , but is commune ,alas many antivirus believe "gimprun.exe" trhat is the portable version of Partha and Onkel Hatti a virus, same for several files in Samj builds

Is not something you may solve just using a "better" antivirus , or more clearly the only better antivirus are not that not giving false positives but those allowing you to easily create whitelist :
All antivirus use the same principle :
any file vaguely similar to a know virus is marked as a virus ( or in best cases as "possible threat " , but few understand the difference ...) because more "virus" or possible threats a antivirus find more is believed a good antivirus program

And because is preferred give dozens and dozens of false positives then the risk to ignore a single real virus
Avast , Malwarebyte, ect are no better but you may use better:
when you know that a program is safe put in the whitelist , and in any case don't allow antivirus to automatically remove or quarantine files, but only to alert you, and then check well what files are
Quote:
I allowed AVG to do its job and it said it had removed all the threats and painter ran fine


NO , if you allowed AVG to do its job gimpainter may apparently load fine, but now is screwed it up and you need to reinstall it
All the deleted or quarantined files were plugins or gimp libraries that now are missed, you may have not stumbled yet on what missed also because in case of deleted filters, the menu entries vanish removing the files

But not doubt that now your gimpainter is crippled and you must reinstall it
(not sure WHAT is missed , i can't see from your screenshoot but to each deleted file now correspond 1 or more missed or crippled functions )

PS
I totally disagree on Norton antivirus to me is bloatware more slow down the computer
But again will seem good because at first run will found a lot of undetected virus( even if are none )
And Norton is really a pain to unistall ,unistaller left behind a lot of garbage

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Last edited by PhotoComix on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I would still stick to Avast, it keeps all the newest definitions updated and I have had very good luck with it. It is not pirated. There is the free version and there is the one you have to pay for. I guess the real answer is stick to what you are most comfortable with. Norton is my last choice, but that is just me.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:42 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
PhotoComix - as far as painting is concerned it is working fine but I will check all the filters later. Thank you for your input. :)

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:46 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Put some hair on the poor girl Eris. Who is she waving at? or is it he? :rofl

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:51 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
molly wrote:
Put some hair on the poor girl Eris. Who is she waving at? or is it he? :rofl


:hehe It was just a quick sketch to try the program out. The mix brush (cleverly disguised as a smudge brush) doesn't seem to blend stuff though. I must be doing something wrong.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:53 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
There is no antivirus that run well in full automatism, the good one are that allowing to easily create whitelist and customize the settings but that doesn't help if used with default setting

If you want be really safe the solution is another is to use Sandboxie , or a virtual machine ( or as Lylejk does both ,a bit of overkill but for sure 100% safe )

Not that antivirus are crap , but for the reasons i already explained they often give false positive ,yet they may ignore new virus

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:00 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Quote:
PhotoComix - as far as painting is concerned it is working fine but I will check all the filters later


May be something you use seldom but for sure the "infected" files in gimpainter were "executive" files as .exe or dll ,
and if were removed some functions is lost or crippled

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:06 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Posts: 2663
Location: California
I use Norton internet security, Malawarebytes, and MS Essentials. I need to buy Norton again, but it's expensive.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:56 am  (#16) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Have you tried ClamWin? Free for windows users. It's what i use. No problems yet. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:23 pm  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
I have tried Clamwin and it's very good and I love open source but does it have a virus guard these days or does it still have to be run manually?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Is AVG giving false positives these days?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 am  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
I do use clamwin too, is my active antivirus (maybe is what Erisian means for "virus guard"?)

I have also Malwarebyte and Spybot search & destroy ,and HjackThis, but all set to run only by request (once a week or when i have doubts on possible infection ) and only report, and take actions as delete or quarantine, only after i confirm for each file

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group