It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do You Think This Is True?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

Quote:
I have an external backup drive attached to my computer. The other day, my cat walked across my keyboard while I was out of the room, and when I came back, the message on the screen said my backup drive was finished formatting.

I opened Explorer to discover that the external backup drive was indeed empty. link

I guess it's within the realm of possibility, but it sure seems unlikely. :mrgreen:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Do You Think This Is True?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:43 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I rather doubt it but it sure is a cute pussy. I have two very smart ones but not smart enough to do that, takes more than one foot print. lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:38 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

True, but the cat was not too smart :
It was the MAIN hard disk to be reformatted to cover any trace, more that was supposed to be the second step,
the first and more important was to use his owner credit card to purchase online a few thousand boxes of a delicious but very, very pricey cat food :flirt

But somehow it goofed , and reformatted the wrong drive as first step :hoh

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:45 pm  (#4) 
Retired Staff

Well you have to go through several levels to get to hard drive formatting. Then you have to answer the question of "are you sure?" "This will remove all the files from your drive."

I seriously doubt a cat could get it to that level as it would be randomly walking on the keyboard. Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:49 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

If my boy (cat Socks) did this, he would not get his nightly treats for a very long time. lol

Weird situation; have no idea how this could have happened, but Scientist do say that if you give a Monkey a typewriter, there is a very minute chance that an intelligible sentence could be typed out. lolol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:50 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I believe it.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:10 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Windows doesn't make it anywhere near that easy to format a hard drive:

Quote:
1. Click Start.

2. Right-click Computer, then click Manage. The "Computer Management" window will open.

3. In the left pane, click Disk Management (under Storage). If your disk is not initialized (as is sometimes the case with brand-new drives), you’ll be prompted to initialize it. If your disk is 2TB or more in size, select GPT; otherwise, stick with MBR.

A list of all connected disk drives is displayed in the center. Unpartitioned drives appear with solid black bars and the label "Unallocated." Partitioned drives appear with solid blue bars and a drive letter.

If your drive isn't partitioned, follow these instructions to partition it. Otherwise, skip down to the next section.

1. Right-click the black bar or the unallocated white space below it and select New Simple Volume… In this case, "Volume" is another term for "partition".

2. Click Next. To create a single, whole-drive partition, make sure the "Simple volume size in MB" value is the same as the "Maximum disk space in MB" value. Click Next.

3. Assign a drive letter of your choice. Click Next.

4. Select Format this volume. For File System, choose NTFS if you’ll be using the drive only with Windows machines. If you will be sharing the information on the drive with Macs, choose exFAT. Keep Allocation unit size at Default. Choose a name for the partition under Volume label. Do not select Perform a quick format or Enable file and folder compression. Click Next.

5. Confirm your selections and click Finish.

If your drive is already partitioned, follow these instructions.

1. Right-click the blue bar or the white space below it and select Format.

2. Choose a name for the partition under Volume label. For File System, choose NTFS if you’ll be using this drive only with Windows machines. If you will be sharing the information on this drive with Macs, choose exFAT. Keep Allocation unit size at Default. Do not select Perform a quick format or Enable file and folder compression. Click OK.

3. Confirm your choices.

If you're formatting the drive you are using actively you have to boot the computer from the installation CD.

I think she deleted the drive and blamed it on the cat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

PhotoComix wrote:
True, but the cat was not too smart :
It was the MAIN hard disk to be reformatted to cover any trace, more that was supposed to be the second step,
the first and more important was to use his owner credit card to purchase online a few thousand boxes of a delicious but very, very pricey cat food :flirt

But somehow it goofed , and reformatted the wrong drive as first step :hoh

:lol , you are funny PC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:53 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

GnuTux wrote:
[ Image ]

Quote:
I have an external backup drive attached to my computer. The other day, my cat walked across my keyboard while I was out of the room, and when I came back, the message on the screen said my backup drive was finished formatting.

I opened Explorer to discover that the external backup drive was indeed empty. link

I guess it's within the realm of possibility, but it sure seems unlikely. :mrgreen:

A bit of a urban legend... of course a cat is technically closer to type "format f: [enter]"Y"[enter]" than an army of monkeys to recreate Hamlet, but that is still a very remote possibility... Something that doesn't compute either is that the person is telling about the cat on the keyboard, so that would have been someone who uses command prompts(*), and that kind of person would know what to do in that case...

(*) otherwise let's estimate the chances that the kitty strikes all the cursor moves keys and keyboard shortcuts to reach the disk management utility where it would trigger a formatting....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:38 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

It could happen....Idk if it did though. xD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I think cats are telekinetic creatures and use awesome mind powers to ruin our day if we don't cater to their every whim. I know this from experience. I have 4 of the little wannabe dictators living with me. Well...they let me stay here and borrow the furniture and technology.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:07 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
If my boy (cat Socks) did this, he would not get his nightly treats for a very long time. lol

Weird situation; have no idea how this could have happened, but Scientist do say that if you give a Monkey a typewriter, there is a very minute chance that an intelligible sentence could be typed out. lolol

The odds are very slim. Let's say a monkey on a typewriter was asked to type out a twitter tweet (140 characters). If you pull the numbers off of what-if, there are 2 x 1046 legible tweets, and 26140 different 140 character strings. This means the probability of a monkey typing something legible is about 1.6 x 10-152.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:39 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I wonder if the drive properties were already opened and the cat saw a bug on the enter key and the tab apply or ok was highlighted? :)
For instance if the button 'apply" were highlighted after the dialog was opened...well a few paws at the enter key and you could possibly have a catastrophe on your hands. :lol
I wouldn't have put it passed my cat. He loved sitting in my lap when i was at my desktop pc. I am sure he learned quite a bit. :)

I say yes, it could be possible if the dialog were already opened.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:09 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
lylejk wrote:

The odds are very slim. Let's say a monkey on a typewriter was asked to type out a twitter tweet (140 characters). If you pull the numbers off of what-if, there are 2 x 1046 legible tweets, and 26140 different 140 character strings. This means the probability of a monkey typing something legible is about 1.6 x 10-152.

A purely philosophical point here - I wonder if anybody has calculated the odds of complex organisms like human beings having evolved by chance alone. It would be interesting to compare the results to the odds of this relatively simple "event."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:18 am  (#15) 
Global Moderator

lol, I love the way this thread dilemma is evolving. Lets just say all the computer keys were hi-lited and the pussy knew which ones to tap in sequence. After each tap a treat would pop up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
lylejk wrote:

If the odds are so slim why are there so many typing monkeys on twitter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:11 am  (#17) 
Global Moderator

Because as they say, monkeys are as close as you can get to humans. Or, maybe we were monkeys in our first time around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:15 am  (#18) 
Script Coder

There's no way the cat could've done this by herself. She obviously had an accomplice -- that accomplice being a cockroach named Archy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

I knew we would get a real good answer from you Saul. Makes sense. :teeth I would like to meet Archy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am  (#20) 
Script Coder

molly wrote:
I would like to meet Archy.

clicky :mrgreen: