It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drawing Animals Website
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This website for me is the best thing ever! I wanted Christopher Hart's how to draw animal book for years but this website is free and has more animals! T.T

For me, this is a gem, I can start simple then make it look better later.

Warning mainly for AnMal: There are a few images of insects and spiders so look with caution, I had to block a few because it freaked me out.- but the images are VERY small so it should be alright.

http://www.wedrawanimals.com

Edit:
So AnMal can still see some of them here are some direct links:

There are a whole lot more than this but this is just so she can see some of it w/o worrying about bugs!

Antelope
Arctic Fox
Butterfly
Black Panther
Dog
Frog
Hummingbird
Inguana
Hawk
Rabbit
Cat

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Last edited by Mokonafan on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Drawing Animals Website
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Interesting site. Thank you Moko.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:19 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

mokonafan: thanks for the warning! i'll have erisian try that site first, it sounds scary...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
mokonafan: thanks for the warning! i'll have erisian try that site first, it sounds scary...

It's in alphabetical order so...Should help.
It's a harmless site just has a few bugs in it.
Once you get to "T" that's when you stop that's the where the only truly freaky one is.

Edit:
I put some links for you so you don't have to go on.

@Erisian: Np :>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hello everyone!

First of all - please excuse me for bumping an older thread - but there is a reason for it!

I'm the person behind the website in question - We Draw Animals.

And I have a really important and sincere request for you guys!

You see, I've been working on diversifying the tutorials I have on the site and came up with 16 different versions for 3 main tutorial types - for kids, cartoon, and realistic.

The following 10 animals have these 16 versions and I would really be very grateful if you could check them out and rate them and give your honest opinions - which versions do you like the most, which you don't - so I can create more of them for the other animals.

The animals list:

http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-butterfly/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-deer/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-hawk/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-jaguar/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-kangaroo/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-monkey/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-parrot/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-polar-bear/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-raccoon/
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/how-to-draw-a-tiger/

Again - an ENORMOUS Thank You! Words cannot express how grateful I'd be to get some feedback!

EDIT: Editing to make the above links clickable since I now have 5 posts and it really bothered me :p

Last edited by ktw on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:15 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

ktw wrote:
Hello everyone!

First of all - please excuse me for bumping an older thread - but there is a reason for it!

I'm the person behind the website in question - We Draw Animals.

And I have a really important and sincere request for you guys!

You see, I've been working on diversifying the tutorials I have on the site and came up with 16 different versions for 3 main tutorial types - for kids, cartoon, and realistic.

The following 10 animals have these 16 versions and I would really be very grateful if you could check them out and rate them and give your honest opinions - which versions do you like the most, which you don't - so I can create more of them for the other animals.

The animals list:

/how-to-draw-a-butterfly/
/how-to-draw-a-deer/
/how-to-draw-a-hawk/
/how-to-draw-a-jaguar/
/how-to-draw-a-kangaroo/
/how-to-draw-a-monkey/
/how-to-draw-a-parrot/
/how-to-draw-a-polar-bear/
/how-to-draw-a-raccoon/
/how-to-draw-a-tiger/

(sorry about the lack of links - just add the domain in front of each line - the registration email said I cannot post links for now!)

Again - an ENORMOUS Thank You! Words cannot express how grateful I'd be to get some feedback!

No problem with you bumping the topic!
Thank you for making the website, I'll attempt to look around a bit I just have one little suggestion though.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's scared of *God help me to say this* Tarantulas and well that one picture makes me scared to use the site, maybe just put the word over as the picture or something? My lovely image-blocker keeps not working. No needed at all just for me, but idk people are scared of those little deamons. xD

After I'm done with what I'm working on I'll take a look!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:28 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

WOW! That was super fast!

Thank you so much!

I hope the "links" I've posted wouldn't be too much of a hassle for you - I just couldn't post them as normal links, so I guess you'll have to do some copy&pasting.

P.S. Now that wouldn't be very nice to do with tarantulas - they might even sue me for discrimination!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

After 5 posts you will be able to post your url's and images

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:10 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

In general it's quite good! I think instead of making people scroll maybe put a thumbnail of either the finished product with a link or a thumbnail of the "lesson" on the page. Scrolling for some is irritating, and for others it's a no bother. It's up to you really.

As for the lessons themselves, some of them are very good, and the others are a little sloppy looking, although those are aimed at children I think maybe if the lines are at least smoother looking it's bringing them up in drawing level without being too complicated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:31 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I absolutely agree on the usability part - I'm thinking of doing something like coffeescripter com/code/ad-gallery.

As for the tutorials - I hope I'm not asking too much here - but do you think it'd be possible to be a bit more specific? Which versions were you referring to? Or if you had to choose just one version of each type - one for kids, one for a cartoon animal and one for a more realistic representation - which versions would they be (there is a # above each tutorial that shows which version it is - eg. "Alternative Tutorial #3 - For Kids" - means version #3).

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:24 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

ktw wrote:
I absolutely agree on the usability part - I'm thinking of doing something like coffeescripter com/code/ad-gallery.

As for the tutorials - I hope I'm not asking too much here - but do you think it'd be possible to be a bit more specific? Which versions were you referring to? Or if you had to choose just one version of each type - one for kids, one for a cartoon animal and one for a more realistic representation - which versions would they be (there is a # above each tutorial that shows which version it is - eg. "Alternative Tutorial #3 - For Kids" - means version #3).

Thanks again!

What I'm going to say I don't mean to sound mean!!! I Promise!!! :oops:
I'm also quite picky so...yeah.
Also I think making steps you did a very good job, they look easy to follow, it's no the steps that's the "problem" (it's not a problem I just don't know what other word to use. :S) it's the images themselves.

These are a few of them, imo either don't look like the subject matter at all or just are a bit sketchy.

Doesn't look much like a monkey imo:
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/images/tut ... a03t01.png

This seems a bit sketchy and sloppy:
http://www.wedrawanimals.com/images/tut ... a01t01.png

Although it's meant to be simplified is doesn't look much like a deer at all. :S
The first of the 2: http://www.wedrawanimals.com/images/tut ... a02t01.png

For VERY young kids I suppose all this doesn't really count but in general it's just how I see it.

P.S: I could put a link to your website on my blog, I don't have many viewers overall but I do have some and maybe it'll give you more "clientele". :>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:13 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Mokonafan,

Wow! I'm actually relieved!

First of all - let me assure you - you didn't sound mean at all! Very friendly in fact! And I really honestly appreciate your taking the time to help me!

Now, as for the problematic tutorials themselves... The real problem is probably with my wording - when I used "For Kids" what I really meant was for the youngest of them - up to 4-5 years old. They still don't have much experience drawing so I aimed at creating something that resembled the animal in question, yet was simple and basic enough to be "drawable" by them. Something that they can achieve and give themselves positive feedback so they can feel confident enough to try and tackle something more "realistic".

I guess I should also try and find a parenting forum and ask parents to see how their youngest respond to these simplified tutorials.

And last but not at all least - a link on your site would be totally awesome!

P.S. I'll go and revise the wording on these tutorials to state that they're for the youngest kids.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:16 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

A due thanks to Mikechat!

On a slightly different note - I want to create a PDF ebook with all the tutorials in high resolution - since there are more than 200 now an still growing - are you aware of a method that could do this in bulk?

(I promise to give you guys a copy once it's done!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:14 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Mokonafan wrote:
This website for me is the best thing ever! I wanted Christopher Hart's how to draw animal book for years but this website is free and has more animals! T.T

For me, this is a gem, I can start simple then make it look better later.

Warning mainly for AnMal: There are a few images of insects and spiders so look with caution, I had to block a few because it freaked me out.- but the images are VERY small so it should be alright.

http://www.wedrawanimals.com

Edit:
So AnMal can still see some of them here are some direct links:

There are a whole lot more than this but this is just so she can see some of it w/o worrying about bugs!

Antelope
Arctic Fox
Butterfly
Black Panther
Dog
Frog
Hummingbird
Inguana
Hawk
Rabbit
Cat

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Very nice list Moko... thank you :bigthup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

ktw wrote:
Hi Mokonafan,

Wow! I'm actually relieved!

First of all - let me assure you - you didn't sound mean at all! Very friendly in fact! And I really honestly appreciate your taking the time to help me!

Now, as for the problematic tutorials themselves... The real problem is probably with my wording - when I used "For Kids" what I really meant was for the youngest of them - up to 4-5 years old. They still don't have much experience drawing so I aimed at creating something that resembled the animal in question, yet was simple and basic enough to be "drawable" by them. Something that they can achieve and give themselves positive feedback so they can feel confident enough to try and tackle something more "realistic".

I guess I should also try and find a parenting forum and ask parents to see how their youngest respond to these simplified tutorials.

And last but not at all least - a link on your site would be totally awesome!

P.S. I'll go and revise the wording on these tutorials to state that they're for the youngest kids.

Ah okey! :D
I'm glad you didn't think I was mean. XD
Sometimes I tell people things that aren't rainbows and lollipops of praise and they get mad at me so... :oops:
If it's for little kids then I'm just being picky. xD

Nice work on the site! :D :bigthup
It's a bit of a dream for me...I can't draw animals very well. xD

Shout Out To Your Website.

As for making a PDF in bulk...I haven't a clue. :S

@Molly: Thank ktw! It's his/her website! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:11 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Thank you ktw... :teeth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:43 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

ktw
There is the BIMP batch plugin do you have it, if not you will find it at the gimp plugin registry,
also there are some guy's here that make PDF tut's, that could be helpful, if you ask the right
questions, but I am not that good with batch processes, however I have this link that might be helpful
http://www.noupe.com/tools/batch-proces ... ments.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:36 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Just finished creating the ebook. Who here wants a copy?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:16 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I'd like a copy but don't want the one with tarantula is scares me...Which means you did a good job drawing it. O.o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:29 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Anyone else wants a copy?