It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blank
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

No ideas what so ever. I am not sure why they come and go so quickly. One minute I have a 100 ideas of what to paint next, and then i have no ideas what so ever.. I guess i sound like a broken record. sorry if that is the case. maybe i need to give it a break. i really would hate to do that though. cause i feel i am real close to doing a really great painting. guess i will have to give it some time. rushing it never works. But i do know i am gonna be at work when the idea hits me and i will not be able to get it down on paper before the moment passes. i don't know how many times that has happen to me. oh well. hope you guys, who paint, are not going through this. even looking at other peoples work doesn't give me any ideas. to tell the truth, i just wonder how good i really am. right now after watching what i watched last night on youtube, i kinda feel like i am not very good. maybe things will change soon. i sure hope so.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: ~
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:10 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

~

Last edited by Zeo on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Blank
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I always go through this, thinking I'm a lousy artist and stuff.
It'll pass, eventually.
Just aim to be better! :3

Try Drawing ur little guy again, he's so cute! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:14 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Art like most creative things is very subjective and just because somebody seems to create the perfect painting doesn't necessarily mean it will be liked or well received, the painting has to convey something to the viewer, I've liked stuff that has been really well drawn and yet I have found myself being drawn to something that all my reading and knowledge of art tells me I shouldn't like but there was just something about it that spoke to me.

Despite all the above, you really just need to try and paint from the heart and not try to paint something to please others, I know I need to express myself more through my work and this is something I am working on.

But I would encourage you to just sketch even if it is just some random doodle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Every artist deals with those kind of things. Whenever I don't have any inspiration, I just go listen to some music and mostly I get inspiration at those times.
And whenever you come across an artist that is amazing at painting whatsoever, then never feel like giving up. I just looked through someones deviantart gallery and it was just unbelievable how good his work is, but then I looked at an older piece of him and first I didn't believe it was his work, because it was at a much lower level. My point is, every artist started at beginner level and had to work all the way up to where they are now. You improve as long as you keep painting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:11 pm  (#6) 
My humble advice to everyone...
Stop listening to those 'negative' voices in our heads.
Ego is our enemy.
Stop comparing one's self to others.
As individuals we each with our own talents, skills and experiences.

Remember...
Only a small percentage of people who connect to this site are members and have the ability to post.
If just one individual within the vast 'silent' majority (visitors), gains some enjoyment, are inspired or receive some knowledge from your posts, YOU have made a positive difference to THEIR life yet you will never know.

Inspiration ebbs and flows.
Subjective terms such as 'good', 'popular' and 'important', are just that, subjective.
You are You. Be proud, confident and enjoy your existence.

Peace!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:22 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Nicely put fluffy. Comparing ourselves to others isn't very constructive. I will probably never be as good as my favourite artists but I can still be happy with what I can do.

rdgracer71 - remind yourself of the comments you have received in the past about your work before thinking you are not good enough. I find that other people value my work more than I do. I'm usually happy with it but still wish I could have done better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 pm  (#8) 
Erisian wrote:
Nicely put fluffy. Comparing ourselves to others isn't very constructive. I will probably never be as good as my favourite artists but I can still be happy with what I can do.

@Erisian: Despite your undisputed artistic talents, your 3rd sentence suggests to me that you may have missed my point. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

fluffybunny wrote:
Erisian wrote:

@Erisian: Despite your undisputed artistic talents, your 3rd sentence suggests to me that you may have missed my point. :roll:

Or maybe I was simply making my own point. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:31 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

rdgracer71 wrote:
No ideas what so ever... maybe things will change soon. i sure hope so.
For fun have a look at, Design Rules of Thumb. The site looks rather basic until you start digging around.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)