It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rgb cmyk online viewer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:38 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Ello all. This is gonna be ahrd to explain. What im looking for is a streamlined process for cmyk stuff. Since gimp natevly works in RGB, which is totally fine since most stuff nowadays is all on a screen, i wnt to see what a color looks like first in cmyk before i add it to the project im on. Its time consuming to save it out as a .png, then open krita, export as cmyk and then compare colors.

Is there an online application that will allow me to pick an RGB color and then have it automataically show the cmyk color? That way i can see what it will look like color wise.

Thanks

Or if gimp can do this that would be cool. Maybe im over thinking it. haha

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: rgb cmyk online viewer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:20 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
LT72884 wrote:
Ello all. This is gonna be ahrd to explain. What im looking for is a streamlined process for cmyk stuff. Since gimp natevly works in RGB, which is totally fine since most stuff nowadays is all on a screen, i wnt to see what a color looks like first in cmyk before i add it to the project im on. Its time consuming to save it out as a .png, then open krita, export as cmyk and then compare colors.

Is there an online application that will allow me to pick an RGB color and then have it automataically show the cmyk color? That way i can see what it will look like color wise.

Thanks

Sorry, but I don't know of anything online or in Gimp that can do what you're asking.
Colors you see in either RGB or any other image mode. Has a lot to do with the kind of monitor your using and it's color calibration, be it LCD, CRT or whatever. I'm also sure there's other factors may be out of our control that can contribute to color degradation. You're probably aware of all this, but you may see a color/hue on your monitor, but when printed doesn't look like what was seen on the monitor, or is slightly off in color tonality/hue. I've also never worked with cmyk, so I can't say that there is or isn't much of a discernible color difference between cmyk and rgb.
Anyway, if you do find what your looking for. I'd like to check that out too.

This link below may or may not be of any help to you.
Color Codes Matching Chart...

http://www.logoorange.com/color/color-codes-chart.php

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:01 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

LT72884 wrote:

Thanks

hohoho...
As Wallace says there are comparison charts for standard colours.
If you are getting serious about this then you do need to calibrate your monitor. Even if you convert to CMYK, if the monitor is say, too bright (easiest one to fix), then what-you-see will not be what-gets-printed.

Not exactly what you want, there is CMYKtool, somewhat on the old side, http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/
still works here in linux, looks like this
rgb image http://i.imgur.com/TqqNAWU.jpg
cmyk image http://i.imgur.com/VNTxlJy.jpg

Does not open xcf images, so use png

Colour values from under the cursor show at the bottom.

This is in linux, from memory used to work in Windoze. What is you OS? and I will give it a try in a VM

edit: dug out a typical chart, remember to unzip it. the name/ swatch is the cmyk reference, rgb colours values alongside.

Attachments:
cmy_to_rgb_chart.pdf.zip [293.94 KiB]
Downloaded 406 times

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Start with Color Management with GIMP
Color Management Preferences
Using a web safe palette is a good option as well.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:15 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome, thanks guys for the info. I have been super busy with wedding stuff for my sister and business as well. But i like to reply and let you know i appreciate your info. Im thinking the color charts is best as i can get haha but if i do find something i will let you know.

ill keep looking though because it is nice to be able to see a cmyk value right at the get go then to keep saving and converting to cmyk.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, so i think color management is what im looking for. I just opened up an image, switched the profile to color proof and i can see the image change to the icc cmyk profile. Also the coolest part, when i pick my lime green color and then draw over the image, it goes the cmyk muddy green. Basically, this is a nice workaround of working "nativly" in cmyk because it allows me to see to a point what the printed image will look like. hahahahaha. This is sooo cool. Thanks for helping me out.