It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edit Gimp files online
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:57 pm  (#1) 

Hi guys,
my name is Ivan and I am developing online image editor called Photopea (photopea _dot_ com).

I have added support for XCF format and I would like to get some response from actual Gimp users. Can you try to open some of your XCF files and check, if they are parsed and rendered correctly? You can simply drag and drop multiple files into a browser window.

I would likte to focus on designers, who need to make some small adjustments and don't have access to Gimp or Photoshop at that specific moment. If you look at the tools availabe in Photopea, what are the features that you miss the most?

Last edited by photopea on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Edit Gimp files online
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:42 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I tried it. It uploaded an xcf file just fine. It took me a while to figure out what some of the tools were because there is no tool definition when you hover over them. I was just trying out selection, and the brush, then in brush dynamics my computer started bogging down, so I gave up. Since it was online, I didn't know if it was my computer being slow to upload and download, or if I was working too fast for your site.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:14 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I couldn't find the 'bucket fill' or how to open a new project or layer with the background colour. Need to be able to undo as well. Could I not find where it was?
I found it opened xcf's well.
Couldn't open a jpg until I made it smaller and converted it to a png

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:23 am  (#4) 

Thank you for your comments.

2-ton: I just edited PP, now you can see a tool name when you hover over the icon. By the way, there is no upload / download, everything is done inside your browser. The preformance depends on your hardware and a browser.

sallyanne: There is no "bucket fill", but you can select specific color using Magic Wand and then fill the selection using Edit - Fill. "Undo" is under Edit - Step backward (or click on items in History panel). Can you send me your JPG to support(at)photopea(dot)com, so I can check what is the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Odd how it seems to change the format to PSD. If this is the case then this isn't safe for GIMP workspace files because their are still many aspects of the Photoshop Document Files that conflict with GIMP's tools. You should make sure the format remains XCF and IS still editable by GIMP in all aspects. Layer adjustments will not work for an XCF file and still be editable in the user's GIMP program. If you are uploading an existing XCF file to this website i HIGHLY advise you create a duplicate first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:08 am  (#6) 

Rod wrote:
Odd how it seems to change the format to PSD. If this is the case then this isn't safe for GIMP workspace files because their are still many aspects of the Photoshop Document Files that conflict with GIMP's tools. You should make sure the format remains XCF and IS still editable by GIMP in all aspects. Layer adjustments will not work for an XCF file and still be editable in the user's GIMP program. If you are uploading an existing XCF file to this website i HIGHLY advise you create a duplicate first.

Thanks for your comment. I decided to use PSD as internal foramt, since it is much more "expressive" than XCF or other formats. Right now, you can not export XCF from Photopea, but you can export PSD and then import PSD into Gimp. It is obvious, that you can not deliver Adjustment layers or Layer Styles from Photopea (or Photoshop) to Gimp, but other adjustments (layer content, mask content, editing colors, blend modes ...) should be completely safe.

I am planning to add XCF export soon. I will probably rasterize Adjustment layers and Layer Styles into new layers, so converting PSD into XCF with Photopea will give better results, than current PSD import in Gimp.