It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Photo Restoration
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:44 pm  (#1) 

I am learning how to restore photographs in Gimp. I am currently working on restoring old photographs for my grandfather but am stuck on how to remove the small dots on the picture attached below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
Baby 001.png
Baby 001.png [ 3.35 MiB | Viewed 5038 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Photo Restoration
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:19 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You can use the cloning tool to remove them. Time consuming, but it will get it done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:18 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

my attempt (dots removed only partially)
final outcome in .png
steps done are the following
1-gimp levels 0.75 opacity 100% normal
2-gmic smooth bilateral 10,7,2,0,0,24,0 opacity 60% normal
3-new layer from visible
4-gimp noise generator Laplace 3.0

Attachment:
Baby%20001-dn-final.png
Baby%20001-dn-final.png [ 5.97 MiB | Viewed 4943 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:35 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I think the healing tool is probably better than the clone tool. Perhaps use the healing tool for the face and the arms and speed up the process by using a more automated procedure for the remainder, as done by dinasset.

My attempt was done with just the healing tool (very quickly!). The dress needs more attention and I speeded up the process by cheating and adding blur to the already out of focus areas.

david.

Attachments:
Baby 001a.png
Baby 001a.png [ 2.9 MiB | Viewed 4927 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:27 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

david wrote:
I think the healing tool is probably better than the clone tool. Perhaps use the healing tool for the face and the arms and speed up the process by using a more automated procedure for the remainder, as done by dinasset.

My attempt was done with just the healing tool (very quickly!). The dress needs more attention and I speeded up the process by cheating and adding blur to the already out of focus areas.

david.

Crap, I forgot about the healing tool. Yep, that would be better than the clone tool. :bigthup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:24 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Jean: There are many techniques to restore photos. You will probably not do the same thing for each photo. My attempt on the baby photo used several different methods. I used colors brightness, contrast, levels to adjust lighting. Used a lot of the healing tool to rid of dots and spots. Also the resynthesizer/healing filter. It does much the same as the healing tool but you can do multiple dots at a time. I did use the clone tool to keep some of the texture on the blanket especially behind the baby's head. Many things can be done with the clone tool. One of our members has a nice tutorial on the clone tool: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10371. I used the blur tool to smooth color shading on the face, and arms. I removed the shadow over the baby's chin as I thought it looked odd. I used the Beautify filter to add just a touch of pink to the skin so features were not so lost from all the restoration attempts. Some do not add any color if wanting to keep true to the old photo at its best. It's your judgement. My family likes for me to add "a little something" to them to personalize it a little bit.
Attachment:
Baby.jpg
Baby.jpg [ 2.1 MiB | Viewed 4819 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I agree with David. The heal tool :heal is probably best. May take a bit longer but is worth it. I only use the clone tool when it absolutely needs the colour in that area. The heal tool will give you a more natural look.
My result using just the healing tool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:15 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Also Jean, try despeckle first when you have a lot of dots. Nice results Everyone